Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Isringhausen

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Reds sign Isringhausen

I really don't look forward to seeing Izzy at the ML level...I don't think he has much left. I'm hoping our closer for the playoffs speaks Cuban.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    I'm hoping our closer for the playoffs speaks Cuban.
    Didn't know "Cuban" was a language. :

If he could throw strikes and handle the pressure though, Chapman sure has the stuff to be a closer down the stretch. Imagine bringing him in to sit down the Cardinals in the 9th with some 103 MPH heat. Yowza.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

We have to do something. The likelihood of CoCo being a postseason hero is starting to look remote. There are multiple options for the late innings that look better... Masset, Rhodes, Ondrusek or Chapman. I love and respect the guy, and I think Dusty has overused him more than enough to explain this dilemna. But, we are talking about a seminal franchise that has not experienced the playoffs in 15 years! We cannot afford a guy toying with 30 pitches an inning to nail down three outs with a three run lead. At this point... the amount of money a guy makes, his experience and 50 cents gets you a cup of coffee. You go with your best option to nail down wins!

I realize that is not cut and dry and the powers that be deal with these players on a personal basis. But, it is time to be clinical about this operation otherwise known as the 2010 Cincinnati Reds MLB Baseball Season. Cordero is going to blow some critical games unless some trust is shown in the rest of the bullpen the rest of the way.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Put me in the boat of people who are not excited about the possibility of Izzy completing his comeback as a Red. I wasn't that stoked about Springer either before he came up, and that's with him having pitched as recently as last September. Izzy hasn't seen MLB level talent in almost 15 months now and the odds of him coming back and getting to a point where he can contribute to this time are astronomical in my opinion. All things considered he most likely would do more harm than help.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

My thought is Isringhausen mirrors Rhodes with late career blossom after TJ surgery. That is why you might take a chance there.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

nm
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    My thought is Isringhausen mirrors Rhodes with late career blossom after TJ surgery. That is why you might take a chance there.
    You don't get that lucky more than once in a season. Maybe Isringhausen gets back to that form next year, but I don't see it happening in the last month of 2010.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Quote Originally Posted by sabometrics View Post
    You don't get that lucky more than once in a season. Maybe Isringhausen gets back to that form next year, but I don't see it happening in the last month of 2010.
    Rhodes has been doing it for two years--at 39 and 40. Luck or "this seemed to work, lets see if we are on to something here?"

The exception does not prove the rule. You aren't "on to something" when you're seeking out all the near 40-year-olds who have had arm surgery, you're just throwing them a bone with a minor league contract that can't really hurt you. And if they perform well then great, but not every 39-40 yr old is going to make the comeback. We all want to believe Isringhausen can be a contributor but I just don't see it happening.

The exception does not prove the rule. You aren't "on to something" when you're seeking out all the near 40-year-olds who have had arm surgery, you're just throwing them a bone with a minor league contract that can't really hurt you. And if they perform well then great, but not every 39-40 yr old is going to make the comeback. We all want to believe Isringhausen can be a contributor but I just don't see it happening.
    Nor was I trying to prove a rule. The Reds are not seeking out all the near 40 year old who have had arm surgery. But there is some anecdotal evidence that post TJers are coming back strong and are good candidates to take a flyer on. Add one with a considerable body of work as a successful reliever and its a move that makes sense.

Of course it's fine to give him a minor league deal but unless he actually performs I don't want to see him up. A lot of people seem to already have Isringhausen penciled in as a for sure call-up. He hasn't come close to looking like a reliable option in his three weeks with the Bats.

Of course it's fine to give him a minor league deal but unless he actually performs I don't want to see him up. A lot of people seem to already have Isringhausen penciled in as a for sure call-up. He hasn't come close to looking like a reliable option in his three weeks with the Bats.
    The only thing he has to do at AAA is get his game on. Watching his numbers and making any conclusions from that is not going to work in this situation. This is going to be a scouting reports and how he is trending call. He is in spring training.

Update from John Fay:

Isringhausen will throw Monday in Arizona. #Reds will decide whether to sign him after the session.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Update from John Fay:

Isringhausen will throw Monday in Arizona. #Reds will decide whether to sign him after the session.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman
    Completely forgot about him.

Reds pen is beyond full up. With guys better than izzy. Hope this is simply the reds being courteous.

Turn Off Ads?