Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Livingston to start Sunday

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Livingston to start Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    People can knock Homer Bailey's supposive lack of control and stikeouts but he's still been pretty unhitable 34.1 innings of work only 20 hits add his 15 walks you have a 1.02 whip. He also has a 3-1 record and a 1.83 era in 6 starts.

Bobby Livingston is 0-3 with a 3.22 era. Yes he has fine control 33 strikeouts and 4 walks in 44.2 innings and 7 starts. But he has been very hitable in 44.2 innings he has allowed 51 basehits and dispite his fine control has a whip of 1.23 which is higher than Homer.

Sorry Homer Bailey may not be striking out as many as we expected but he's still been very unhitable. Knock Homer if you want but seems to me the just turned 21 year old is not exactly struggling to retire AAA hitters.

Update Phil Dumatrait moved to 5-1 with a 1.99 era with tonights 2-1 win Marcus McBeth got his second save with a perfect 9th recording a strikeout he has 1.50 era since joining the Bat 1 run in 6 innings.
    Major League hitters are also a whole lot better than AAA hitters.

In AAA you can get by fairly well with a 98 mile an hour heater, and below average secondary pitches. While I have not seen Homer pitch this year I think his walk total proves that his secondary pitches need work. I would think that because Homer Bailey would not be the number one pitching prospect in baseball if he couldn't locate that fastball.

I have a feeling that if Bailey were to be called up at this point he may get lit up after a trip or two through the lineup, once the hitters started sitting on the fastball. I could be wrong, but that's my .02

2. Turn Off Ads?

Am I correct that Homer's Arb clock doesn't start until next year if he's not up until after June 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    Am I correct that Homer's Arb clock doesn't start until next year if he's not up until after June 1st?
    That's true, but Krivsky and Castellini said that wouldn't affect anything.

Maybe they are saving Homer for a home game? I'd personally rather see Dumatrait than Livingston, but we'll see how it goes.

Please let me see Bailey for the Pirates series!

Hey, ya think they might throw Bailey out there to face the Nationals and Bowden....

I feel like Livingston is going to get his brains beat in. However, he is replacing Eric Milton, and I bet he can be at least that productive.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    The reds brass has something against giving young guys a shot at the league.I mean Homer is as ready as hes ever going to be and sending EE down was a horrible mistake.Let your young players come up and play so they can work out their problems here.
    As I said in another thread...Mr C has not stated he wants to win later but rather now.If I was the manager and knew my job was on the line....I wouldnt want to play guys and let them grow on the job. I would want to put the guys out there who gives me the best chance to win.(granted whether JN does that is debatable)

I've heard the Reds are a little disappointed with Homer's progress to this poing. He's not controlling the fastball the way they believe he needs to, and still hasn't developed his other pitches. They think he's further away than they hoped he'd be.

Again, this is just what I've heard -- from a fairly reliable source.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I'm still completely boggled by people who are calling for Santos to be released. He's been are best out of the pen, sans Saarloos.

And I'm perfectly alright with leaving Homer down for now, he needs to work a tad on his control, and figure out how to K guys again, I DEFINITELY didn't see that one coming.
    The issue with Santos is that he has a WHIP of 1.60, which is high, he has a low K rate, and does not have a track record of success at the major league level. While he has a decent ERA the rest of his stats suggest that it is only a matter of time until he starts giving up more runs.

Okay i'm basing this off of one inning of watching Salmon

He has HORRIBLE HORRIBLE command. What is his walk rate in the minors? He nearly walked every batter he faced, and some of his strikes were them swinging at balls or borderline strikes.

If waiting another 20 days before bringing Homer up (if he's ready) buys us another year of him before hitting arbitration, then I am just fine with waiting.

Livingston = Michalak = filler
    Even with Dumatrait, you want to make sure he is set up for as much success as possible. No need to rush either Dumatrait or Bailey since it appears that the '07 Reds are not a playoff team....On the other hand, I would be shopping Santos for anyone with a pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanWC View Post
    The issue with Santos is that he has a WHIP of 1.60, which is high, he has a low K rate, and does not have a track record of success at the major league level. While he has a decent ERA the rest of his stats suggest that it is only a matter of time until he starts giving up more runs.
    agree. this is what i have been saying for about a week. Santos's time as a Red is about up.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredbunter View Post
    Livingston = Michalak = filler
    Even with Dumatrait, you want to make sure he is set up for as much success as possible. No need to rush either Dumatrait or Bailey since it appears that the '07 Reds are not a playoff team....On the other hand, I would be shopping Santos for anyone with a pulse.
    no. Michalak was what - 35 years old.
    Livingston is a youngster.

The scenario

Livinston and/or Dumatrait replace Milton.

Come ~July 1rst the Reds have a decision. If we are out of it and Lohse shows no desire to sign a long term contract ( or we decide not to ) then Lohse is traded for a prospect or two and Homer is called up.

Turn Off Ads?