Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Origins of All 30 MLB Team Names

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

The Origins of All 30 MLB Team Names

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/51678

The Cincinnati Red Stockings, so named because they wore red socks, were baseball’s first openly all-professional team. In 1882, Cincinnati’s entry in the newly formed American Association took the same name and retained it after moving to the National League in 1890. Red Stockings eventually became Redlegs, and Redlegs was shortened to Reds. Before the 1953 season, club officials announced that the team would once again officially be known as the Cincinnati Redlegs. Around the same time, the team temporarily removed “Reds” from its uniforms. As the AP reported in 1953, “The political significance of the word ‘Reds’ these days and its effect on the change was not discussed by management.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Origins of All 30 MLB Team Names

The Marlins are actually going to become the Miami Marlins? I don't like it.

And everyone knows the Houston Colt .45's and the Washington Bullets in the NBA were the coolest names ever.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Oops. Sorry about starting another thread on this, wasn't aware one had already been started. As for the Marlins, they need to do something to get attendance up. It has to be the league worst. I don't know how they afford to pay the players, even with MLB's lowest payroll.

My favorite defunct names

Braves:
    Boston Beaneaters
    Boston Doves
    Boston Rustlers
    Boston Bees

Cardinals:
    St Louis Perfectos

Phillies:
    Philadelphia Quakers

Dodgers:
    Brooklyn Bridegrooms
    Brooklyn Suburbas

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The Marlins are actually going to become the Miami Marlins? I don't like it.

And everyone knows the Houston Colt .45's and the Washington Bullets in the NBA were the coolest names ever.
    Most of us Bullets fans still refuse to acknowledge the name change to that W-word.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Gilbert Arenas certainly doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Gilbert Arenas certainly doesn't.
    The Bullets nickname has never been more apropos.

Cleveland Indians
    Cleveland’s baseball team was originally nicknamed the Naps after star player-manager Napoleon Lajoie, so when the team cut ties with Lajoie after the 1914 season, it was in the market for a new name. Club officials and sportswriters agreed on Indians in January 1915. The Boston Braves’ miraculous World Series triumph may have been part of the inspiration behind Cleveland’s new moniker.
    I thought the Cleveland team was originally called the Spiders but changed the name to Indians in honor of Native American player Louis Sockalexis. Pretty sure that's what I read in Ken Burns' "Baseball" book anyway.
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post

I thought the Cleveland team was originally called the Spiders but changed the name to Indians in honor of Native American player Louis Sockalexis. Pretty sure that's what I read in Ken Burns' "Baseball" book anyway.
    It's a nifty story, but not true.

They were the Spiders in the 90's the NL version. Contracted in 1899 and merged with St. Louis the AL team was called the Blues and the Naps until a newspaper vote gave them the Indians.

While they did have Louis Sockalexis in the 90's in reality the name had nothing to do with him other than the fact that he was a Spider at one time and an Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's a nifty story, but not true.

They were the Spiders in the 90's the NL version. Contracted in 1899 and merged with St. Louis the AL team was called the Blues and the Naps until a newspaper vote gave them the Indians.

While they did have Louis Sockalexis in the 90's in reality the name had nothing to do with him other than the fact that he was a Spider at one time and an Indian.
    Ahh, thanks for clarifying.
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post

The Sockalexis myth gets dug up every time Native Americans come to Cleveland to protest the Indians name and, more specifically, the Chief Wahoo logo. Tribe fans like to cling to the myth as a justification for their argument that they are "honoring" Native American culture by continuing to use a goofy looking charicature.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The Sockalexis myth gets dug up every time Native Americans come to Cleveland to protest the Indians name and, more specifically, the Chief Wahoo logo. Tribe fans like to cling to the myth as a justification for their argument that they are "honoring" Native American culture by continuing to use a goofy looking charicature.
    We need our myths too. Like the one that the 1869 Red Stockings are the ancestors of the current Reds franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    We need our myths too. Like the one that the 1869 Red Stockings are the ancestors of the current Reds franchise.
    Biggest lie in Cincinnati sports hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Hey now, I like that myth. I need a screen name, you know.

In all honesty, the 1869 Red Stockings are the spiritual ancestors of this franchise. The Reds would not be here without them and the name of the modern day franchise is a direct reflection of that fact. Now, if you really want to make your head hurt, consider this fact: The 1869 Red Stockings are now the Atlanta Braves.

The 1869 Red Stockings are now the Atlanta Braves.
    Yes indeed. They moved to Boston, where they eventually became the Boston Braves, then moved to Milwaukee, then Atlanta. Still though, they were the first pro baseball team in Cincy (or anywhere else), and, as r1869 said, they were the ancestors of the Reds, just not directly.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Now, if you really want to make your head hurt, consider this fact: The 1869 Red Stockings are now the Atlanta Braves.
    Not necessarily. The Red Stockings were members - albiet ringers - of the Cincinnati Base Ball Club which was more of a social club than anything. Most of the club members didn't even play base ball except the ones who played recreationally. After the 1870 season, the club decided that having a professional team was too expensive and the players went elsewhere. Half went to Boston and half went to the Washington Olympics since there was a bit of dissension among the team. It would be more accurate to say that once upon a time, the Braves had members of the Cincinnati Red Stockings playing for their organization.

Also, the 1869 date is misleading. It assumes that the Red Stockings were made up out of whole cloth in 1869. The Cincinnati Base Ball club formed in 1866. Long story short, Harry Wright formed a semi-pro base ball team and lost a game to the touring Washington Nationals (with Harry's brother George as their best player) in Cincinnati. That loss provided the impetus for them to form an all professional team in 1869 since the rules were changed after the 1868 season to allow teams to hire pros over the table. George Wright came over and a few others as well and they became the 1869 Red Stockings.

A weak argument could be made that the Red Stockings are the direct ancestor of the Reds by using the Cleveland Browns example. The current day Browns say they are a continuation of the one that moved to Baltimore.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?