Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York Times article on Mike Leake

New York Times article on Mike Leake

For One Promising Pitcher, No Need to Tour the Minors

“You don’t make it to the big leagues out of college if you’re not polished, which is why very few ever do it,” McCann said. “He’s got four pitches and knows how to use both sides of the plate. You have to hit your spots, and you have to add and subtract, and that’s what he does.”

Jocketty said the Reds first considered starting Leake at Class AA this season, but as spring training progressed, Class AAA Louisville seemed more likely if he did not make the major league club. Finally, at the end of spring training, he was chosen as the fifth starter.

“I wasn’t expecting anything until they told me where to go,” Leake said.

He smiled when asked to name the biggest hurdle to getting to the big leagues so quickly.

“My size, not having the typical 6-foot-4 body, 220,” he said. “I kind of had to do things differently than those type guys. That’s who I am.”
    full article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/sp...ll/23reds.html
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-24-2010 at 01:10 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: New York Times article on Mike Leake

Great article

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Strasburg and Chapman get all the attention, some other NL rookies are making strong cases for ROY, and this guy just quietly does his thing every five days without any fanfare or attention outside of this city. I don't mind having him as a sort of secret weapon for a while but it's nice to see him starting to get more recognition for what he's done so far this year. Great article.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Are they selling any Leake gear? I imagine it'd be a hot commodity right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Are they selling any Leake gear? I imagine it'd be a hot commodity right about now.
    Not yet. When I was in Cincinnati last weekend for the Civil Rights Game I checked in the Reds gift shop for a Mike Leake T-Shirt but they didn't have any yet. They did have some Chapman authentic jerseys, though. My guess is they'll starting selling Leake T-Shirts very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Not yet. When I was in Cincinnati last weekend for the Civil Rights Game I checked in the Reds gift shop for a Mike Leake T-Shirt but they didn't have any yet. They did have some Chapman authentic jerseys, though. My guess is they'll starting selling Leake T-Shirts very soon.
    http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.js...452719.2455363

Yeah, it sounds like word has finally leaked out about him...: (oh c'mon, there was no way I could resist that. )

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I don't mind having him as a sort of secret weapon for a while but it's nice to see him starting to get more recognition for what he's done so far this year. Great article.

Mark Sheldon of Reds.com has a nice article up on Mike Leake:

"He's probably the closest guy I've ever played with that pitched like me," veteran Reds starter Bronson Arroyo said. "He can basically throw any pitch in any count, work both sides of the plate hard and soft, and our velocity is similar. The one difference is he's a much better sinkerball pitcher. He can live off his fastball a little more than me. I actually enjoy watching him pitch more than anybody I've ever played with. It's fun to say, 'Let's see how he's going to beat this team today with that stuff that's not super great.'"

When Leake beat out Chapman and prospect Travis Wood for the fifth spot in Reds camp, he became only the 21st drafted player since 1965 to skip the Minors and debut in the Majors. The last starting pitcher to do it was Jim Abbott with the Angels in 1989.

During his brief time with Cincinnati, Leake has been outwardly quiet but has displayed a confidence that he knows he belongs and can be successful. His performances back up his personality and have earned the respect of the Reds clubhouse.

"To be able to slide right in and feel almost like you have at least a year of service time before this and find his way, it's ridiculous," Arroyo said. "This locker room is conducive to that. He's come into an absolutely perfect situation. ... To come into an environment where there are a lot of young guys and the older guys we have are pretty cool when it comes to the pecking order of the game and stuff they could do to young guys, you can't get a better situation than this."
    to read more:
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Mark Sheldon of Reds.com has a nice article up on Mike Leake:

to read more:

Love the quote about clubhouse environment by Arroyo
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

This was one of my favorite parts of that article by Sheldon:

The Reds are just learning the depths of Leake's character, but some got their first inkling when he arrived at their new Goodyear, Ariz., complex last year during the Arizona Fall League. The finishing touches were still being applied by workers, and Leake grabbed some tools and helped install some shelving in the clubhouse.

"I get bored pretty easily. I try to find things to do that keep me amused," Leake said. "Plus my dad and I used to build houses together. I would pitch in with my dad. I think it's helped me want to do other little projects."
    That's awesome.

USA Today article on Mike Leake:

"I hope I never become a guy that plays the game for the money," Leake says. "I play the game because I love it. I'd love to be one of those guys that stays on the same team for 15 years. I'd love to win here."
    It's Leake's deception, movement, change of speed and command that drive hitters crazy.

"I wanted to kill him," Houston Astros hitting coach Sean Berry says. "It shouldn't be that easy. He shouldn't be this good, this soon."

Says Astros center fielder Michael Bourn: "The first time I saw him, I struck out all three times. I can't believe that he's never been in the minor leagues."

General manager Walt Jocketty says the Reds were told by scouting director Chris Buckley that Leake was the collegiate pitcher most prepared for the majors. Still, after he didn't sign until August and pitched a handful of games in the Arizona Fall League, no one envisioned him bypassing the minor leagues.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...ke-cover_N.htm

Maybe he'll retire a Red then? Sure would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Maybe he'll retire a Red then? Sure would be nice!
    The way Baker's using him, Leake'll probably end up with a career-ending shoulder injury that will ensure Leake retiring as a Red.

But seriously, even if Dusty Baker handles Leake perfectly, the way his pitches move have me thinking durability must become an issue at some point this year.

I have never heard of movement pointing toward durability issues.

Guys with some of the straightest fastballs in the game have wound up having Tommy John Surgery while a guy like Greg Maddux, who lived on his movement, never had any arm problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The way Baker's using him, Leake'll probably end up with a career-ending shoulder injury that will ensure Leake retiring as a Red.

But seriously, even if Dusty Baker handles Leake perfectly, the way his pitches move have me thinking durability must become an issue at some point this year.
    Baker has used Leake beautifuly, IMHO.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Turn Off Ads?