Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs: Lead Off Hitter

Re: Drew Stubbs: Lead Off Hitter

I'd love to see Stubbs put the fear of a bunt hit into opposing teams. It's an idea worth pursuing....and if it doesn't work out so be it.

I'm a bit confused by Dougs remark that he got out 50 percent of the time he bunted...how is that bad?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    When having to choose concerning bunting, I'd rather be fast than good.
    I can see both sides of this debate but I can't get past a few posts ago where it was said logically speaking Stubbs' speed was not logically a factor in this discussion. (paraphrase)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'd love to see Stubbs put the fear of a bunt hit into opposing teams. It's an idea worth pursuing....and if it doesn't work out so be it.

I'm a bit confused by Dougs remark that he got out 50 percent of the time he bunted...how is that bad?
    I'd take that result every other time..... Buh, bum, bump..
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Bunting really is a skill, not a talent. Anyone can bunt, literally. Anyone on this board who can hold a bat can bunt if they are are taught properly and practice.

If Stubbs can just learn the basics, and bunt at least one pitch a game, he can add dozens of points to his OPS, without losing any of his power, or aggressiveness.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Bunting really is a skill, not a talent. Anyone can bunt, literally. Anyone on this board who can hold a bat can bunt if they are are taught properly and practice.

If Stubbs can just learn the basics, and bunt at least one pitch a game, he can add dozens of points to his OPS, without losing any of his power, or aggressiveness.
    There is a big difference between sacrifice bunting and bunting for a base hit, and I believe everyone here is talking about bunting for a base hit. Sacrificing is pretty easy, bunting for a hit is a much more difficult skill.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    There is a big difference between sacrifice bunting and bunting for a base hit, and I believe everyone here is talking about bunting for a base hit. Sacrificing is pretty easy, bunting for a hit is a much more difficult skill.
    There is a difference between bunting for a base hit and bunting to sacrifice, but both are just skills that can be learned.

If he, or any professional baseball player, spent an hour a day working on it for a month, they would have it down. To teach Stubbs how to bunt would not change his swing, nor his approach, and he could use as often or as little as he wants. There really is no downside.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It is bad because it was among the worst rates in all of baseball for anyone with at least 10 bunts that went fair, he was 9th worst in baseball. It is bad because comparatively, he sucks at it, and the most you are ever going to get out of it is a single. When you are taking the bat out of the hands of a 20 HR guy in order to try for a single, I always think its a poor decision if its before the 8th inning.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post

Except you absolutely are going to lose power because you are talking about taking away 50 times he swings away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is bad because it was among the worst rates in all of baseball for anyone with at least 10 bunts that went fair, he was 9th worst in baseball. It is bad because comparatively, he sucks at it, and the most you are ever going to get out of it is a single. When you are taking the bat out of the hands of a 20 HR guy in order to try for a single, I always think its a poor decision if its before the 8th inning.
    9th worst out of how many? I'd love to see a list.

9th worst out of how many? I'd love to see a list.
    It was in a recent article at Beyond the Box Score. Not sure how many qualified.

It was in a recent article at Beyond the Box Score. Not sure how many qualified.
    Just doesn't make sense to me. If he goes up to the plate once a series to drop down a bunt with approx. a 50 percent chance of a single....thats a good thing to me.

Except you absolutely are going to lose power because you are talking about taking away 50 times he swings away from him.
    There will plenty of times during the season when bunting for Stubbs makes sense. Leading off and inning, facing a tough pitcher, against a poor fielding third baseman, when it's more important for him to get on base than to swing for the fences...

Maybe once a game is too much, but if he has the skill, there will be plenty of times he can use it to his advantage. If he doesn't have it, it's a waste.

Just doesn't make sense to me. If he goes up to the plate once a series to drop down a bunt with approx. a 50 percent chance of a single....thats a good thing to me.

But you are also going to get in the other team's head which is a very good thing. I love sabermetrics but sometimes the mental aspect of the game is completely ignored. Rattling a pitcher and infield is a very valuable tool for any batter--especially one who also has the power to drill you with a vicious line drive.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    But you are also going to get in the other team's head which is a very good thing. I love sabermetrics but sometimes the mental aspect of the game is completely ignored. Rattling a pitcher and infield is a very valuable tool for any batter--especially one who also has the power to drill you with a vicious line drive.
    I think the threat of a 450 foot HR rattles the pitcher more than the bunt single.

Turn Off Ads?