Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Despite our winning streak,

Despite our winning streak,

we still need offensive upgrade(s). We have been playing weaker teams, and yet we still can't score many runs. Nearly every game has been close. We rarely blow anyone out. Our pitchers have to be nearly perfect (and we're lucky they have been) in almost every game. How long can this run of great pitched games last? We will be soon playing much better teams, and our luck could change fast. Votto is still 2 or 3 weeks away. And even when he gets back, he may take a week or more to get his stroke and timing back.
    Better hope Walt can get something done. We should win our division, but going anywhere in the playoffs will be a dream without a better offense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Despite our winning streak,

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    we still need offensive upgrade(s). We have been playing weaker teams, and yet we still can't score many runs. Nearly every game has been close. We rarely blow anyone out. Our pitchers have to be nearly perfect (and we're lucky they have been) in almost every game. How long can this run of great pitched games last? We will be soon playing much better teams, and our luck could change fast. Votto is still 2 or 3 weeks away. And even when he gets back, he may take a week or more to get his stroke and timing back.
    Better hope Walt can get something done. We should win our division, but going anywhere in the playoffs will be a dream without a better offense.
    Please see the ORG thread about who to fear in the NL. Also, this streak of good play started with a sweep of the Cards... The best offensive team in the NL. Finally, the 2010 Giants had no offense in the regular season and managed to do pretty well in the postseason.

At the trade deadline, did they make a big trade to help their anemic offense? No... They made two small trades to get some rp help.

I am not arguing for a trade or against one... I just think it is a bit silly to believe that we on a message board, who have no idea what other teams are offering, or desire, could somehow claim enough credibility or competence to assert that we know more than the organization that has built a team that has one of the best records in baseball despite having a small payroll to work with.

I think that things are going well... And I don't believe in luck once you get over 100 games in your sample size. The management has done a good job so far and I expect them to keep doing so. I expect them to keep doing so.

If we make a trade, I will be excited by it... If we don't I will not despair.

Finally... Baseball is not a sport of blowouts... 2010 giants did just fine without blowing people out.

Valid concern. If the pitching goes away we are in real trouble.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

We r 19 games over .500 this worry is pointless...

This winning streak will convince Walt the team is good as is.

And they need a consistent bat to go with Votto's

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    well you can still worry. in the playoffs you will need to hit good pitching. you don't rly face many weak teams.

just b/c your winning does not mean you should stay pat. if you can upgrade at the right price do it.

The Braves were 26 games over at the 136 game mark and missed out on the playoffs after the Cardinals got hot like they are now and chased them down as the wheels came off for Atlanta and everything they were good at all went south.

The goal of the team isn't to have a nice regular season record or just win the division. This team needs a lefty bat and a true leadoff hitter to win in the playoffs.

Geesh I think what BRM was getting at was we are 19 games over .500 yet we are still starting threads like the sky is falling! Listen I don't think you can find many Reds fans that wouldn't say we don't need another bat or two. Is it the end of the world as we know it if it doesn't happen? No. We are 15-2 since the All Star break and Rolen and Ludwick have turned it around quite nicely lately and hope it continues because Rolen is not a sub .200 like he was. The guys have stepped up since Votto went down and that may have just been the wakeup call that was needed to say hey boys lets be more than just Joey Votto is the offense. Do I want help? Hell Yeah! The boys are winning enjoy it!

I know Jockety. He will deal to get a big player if he has the OK to spend the bucks. He had that in St. Louis. I don't think he does now. This sucess is the perfect exuse to stand pat.

I'm not surprized to see Luddy making an impact, but I'm AMAZED that Rolen is hitting!

Undiscussed here is defense and base running. Your Reds are close to the best there is. Pitching and hitting ain't the only things to look at you know.

I do agree that a legit .380 OBP leadoff man would be of ENOURMOUS help, and there are a couple of those guys available.....time will tell.

Turn Off Ads?