Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Henry Rodriguez at 3B is an option.

Maybe Henry Rodriguez at 3B is an option.

It looks like Henry Rodriguez has recovered from his fractured hand and in Winter League play is again hitting well (the way he has at every level). If the Reds can't find a good, reasonably priced LF/3B option, then what about playing HRod at 3B and hitting him 2nd in the lineup. Fraizer could man LF and the Reds could try to find a CF lead-off hitter. This is obviously not an ideal situation, and HRod is still very young (22 I believe) - but my understanding is that his defense is good enough, he's a switch hitter, and he has always hit where ever he's been.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Maybe Henry Rodriguez at 3B is an option.

If they are able to make a significant upgrade elsewhere (CF, Starting Rotation, SS) then I could live with Rodriguez at 3B

I wouldn't really have a problem with HRod at 3B, but I'd still like to pick up a legitimate LF. That way we at least have a backup plan if Frazier struggles to replicate last year's numbers. There are a few too many question marks for my taste if we rely on unproven commodities to occupy two traditionally important offensive positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I wouldn't really have a problem with HRod at 3B, but I'd still like to pick up a legitimate LF. That way we at least have a backup plan if Frazier struggles to replicate last year's numbers. There are a few too many question marks for my taste if we rely on unproven commodities to occupy two traditionally important offensive positions.
    I agree about not wanting to have too many question marks. I throw the HRod at 3B option out there more for discussion, because he would obviously have to really prove himself during spring training and the Reds aren't going gamble like that. But to me HRod is exciting to speculate about because he's a switch-hitter who can really handle the bat and get on base. So, in my mind the minor league version of HRod (assuming, of course, that the production carried over) would be a great fit batting 2nd in the lineup in front of Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    Good post. I am interested in this idea mostly in a part time role or as a plan B. I would be cool going into the season with a good LF and Frazier/HRod at 3rd. If Frazier struggles, we might have something with HRod. If Frazier builds on last year, HRod is someone I'm ok using in a part time role. I think he can play, but I don't think he's some kind of stud that we need to really cater to and make sure he gets ABs. That type of player gives you more options.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Good post. I am interested in this idea mostly in a part time role or as a plan B. I would be cool going into the season with a good LF and Frazier/HRod at 3rd. If Frazier struggles, we might have something with HRod. If Frazier builds on last year, HRod is someone I'm ok using in a part time role. I think he can play, but I don't think he's some kind of stud that we need to really cater to and make sure he gets ABs. That type of player gives you more options.
    I don't disagree with you. I think HRod would be a role player. But I think his potential value is that his skill set really fits a role the Reds need. His offensive skills provide something different than Frazier. Fraizer is more of a thumper (although late in the season it seemed he was using a different approach with 2 strikes - e.g., Votto), while HRod projects to possibly be that pesky hitter early in a lineup who fouls off a ton of pitches and just seems to find a way to get on base. If he could do that for the Reds in front of Votto, then I think that's the kind of role player you need to get at bats.
    Last edited by rgslone; 11-15-2012 at 01:54 PM.

I believe Hrod is a little small for an everyday 3B but if his bat is above average I think we could live with it

If the Reds get Bourn to Lead Off or a Legit Lead-Off Hitter...

Henry at 3B and Frazier in Left makes this one potent offense...

H-Rod in the 2 hole and you have a .320/.360/.450 guy in the 2 hole who's perfect for 2 hole...

Bourn
    Rodriguez
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Hanigan/Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    If the Reds get Bourn to Lead Off or a Legit Lead-Off Hitter...

Henry at 3B and Frazier in Left makes this one potent offense...

H-Rod in the 2 hole and you have a .320/.360/.450 guy in the 2 hole who's perfect for 2 hole...

Bourn
    Rodriguez
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Cozart
    Hanigan/Mesoraco
    Whoa, pump the brakes a bit on Rodriguez. Don't get me wrong, the guy can hit but he's a 22 years old with only 51 games above the AA level.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Whoa, pump the brakes a bit on Rodriguez. Don't get me wrong, the guy can hit but he's a 22 years old with only 51 games above the AA level.
    I am just going off his track record in the minors and what it will most likely translate to in the majors...

The Guy is going to hit .300+ with 40 Doubles if he plays 150 games in the Majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I am just going off his track record in the minors and what it will most likely translate to in the majors...

The Guy is going to hit .300+ with 40 Doubles if he plays 150 games in the Majors.
    In his 51 AAA games last year he hit .244/.264/.333. I'm not saying he'll never be a major leaguer but he's got a lot of work to do before hitting .300 in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    In his 51 AAA games last year he hit .244/.264/.333. I'm not saying he'll never be a major leaguer but he's got a lot of work to do before hitting .300 in the majors.
    Was that before HRod broke his hand, or does that include the time after he returned when he obviously wasn't fully recovered (whether physically or mentally). Hitters don't generally recover from a fractued hand that quickly to put up numbers comparable to their preinjury numbers in the same season (remember the situation with Alonzo). I'll give you that it's too early to be expecting HRod to be an answer for next season, but I think you have to be fair about his injury when you bring up last season's numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by rgslone View Post
    Was that before HRod broke his hand, or does that include the time after he returned when he obviously wasn't fully recovered (whether physically or mentally). Hitters don't generally recover from a fractued hand that quickly to put up numbers comparable to their preinjury numbers in the same season (remember the situation with Alonzo). I'll give you that it's too early to be expecting HRod to be an answer for next season, but I think you have to be fair about his injury when you bring up last season's numbers.
    It was after his thumb injury. Yonder still hit for average after his wrist injury but it sapped his power. But again, I'm not saying he'll never hit .300 or that he's no good so I don't think I'm being unfair about an injury. The fact is that he's got 51 games at AAA under his belt and even if he hit .500, like you said, it's a little early to be proclaiming him a .300 hitter at the MLB level.

Quote Originally Posted by rgslone View Post
    Ditto.

HRod is most likely the best proven contact hitter in the Reds' minor league system (although admittedly they don't have a lot of those). And contact hitters tend to be good OBP hitters, and the Reds' offensive is starving for that kind of hitter (actually more than one). I have little concern regarding his .244 avg in 51 post-injury games in AAA last season because of the fracutred hand/thumb injury. My only concern would be if HRod had some lingering effect from the injury - which I'm assuming won't be the case. Otherwise, he's a little young; but I think all the Reds development people are confident he can hit - and I mean probably hit right now in the big leagues for a better average than anybody on the team not named Votto or maybe Phillips and Hannigan. The biggest issue with HRod is that he doesn't have a defensive position for which he is ideally suited. His bat would traditionally fit better at 2B, but apparently 3B is a better defensive position for him (although he's apparently only adequate there). So, the defensive side of things may well hold him back from becoming an everyday starter, especially as early as next season - but I would bet that it won't be because of his offensive.

Turn Off Ads?