Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    If he were the prospect many on here think he is, would they even be pursuing Cano?
    I think after being the 90's Buffalo Bills of baseball the last few years they're desperately trying to win a championship now, not in the future. If they win the ALCS this year but lose the WS, we'll see them trade Profar.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Phillips for Matt Kemp and $40M.

Then sign Alexander Guerrero.

Print NLCS tickets.

Hamilton CF
    Guerrero 2B
    Votto 1B
    Kemp LF
    Bruce RF
    Frazier 3B
    Mesoraco C
    Cozart SS

(I forgot the step where Castellini wins the lottery, but who knows what the budget is)

That said, I'm totally fine with keeping Phillips. Totally fine with it.
    I'm not getting the idea of banking on such an unknown as this Cuban kid. I'm all for going after him as he's got really good tools apparently...but I'm completely against just penciling him in as the starter at 2b on a contending club. Outside of a scouting report...what makes anybody think he's a starter right now?

from mlbtraderumors.com

In his final season in Cuba, Guerrero hit .290/.402/.576 with 21 home runs in 328 plate appearances for Las Tunas. For the last five seasons, Guerrero has posted solid offensive numbers, though the Cuban league is known for inflated offensive numbers. Badler says that Guerrero is likely ticketed for Double-A or Triple-A to start out.
    Doesn't sound like a MLB starter to me. Certainly not on a contender.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 10-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Guerrero sat out last season because he was upset for not being picked on the final WBC roster. There is some question for me about that. Also, at 26-27 years old, he's not the second coming of Puig or anything.

Other than that, now that Dusty is gone, it feels like someone else might be able to change the tone enough to restore my hope for Phillips. I don't want him chirping to the media like he does, however. Just play for your team and your teammates.

If he is traded, I think it would be a challenge to replace his defense, but not his bat. I think Infante or Kendrick would be fine. Ideally he would bring back a young closer type arm or a starter with high velocity in AA or AAA.

With the money saved I would look at resigning Choo.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I think after being the 90's Buffalo Bills of baseball the last few years they're desperately trying to win a championship now, not in the future. If they win the ALCS this year but lose the WS, we'll see them trade Profar.
    Ummmmm, the Rangers are not in playoffs this year........
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Ummmmm, the Rangers are not in playoffs this year........
    Details!

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Details!
    You see, what had happened was....huge lead in the standings, guy gets busted for PED's, lose big lead....pretty much sums it up I think!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Phillips for Matt Kemp and $40M.

Then sign Alexander Guerrero.
    I'm wary of Guerrero, largely because he's not that toolsy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I think the right hitting coach could get BP back on track. His offensive numbers will fall, IF he continues the same approach. If we get a good hitting coach to change his attitude towards hitting, he could continue to produce.

And you have to remember that after the Pirates drilled him and put him on the bench for the better part of the week, he wasn't the same afterwards. I think he'll put up better numbers next year than he did this year. It seemed like he had some sort of injury he was playing with every month. Maybe he's just old and injury prone. Maybe it was bad luck.

That being said, I would be all about trading him, if we get the right offer. I think we could get a decent haul in return. Maybe wait to see if he has a great April/May in 2014 and then we move him might be the way to go.

How is Alexander Guerrero supposed to translate to MLB? I saw his numbers (.290/.402/.576) and don't know how impressive that is in Cuba. Especially after seeing Jose Abreu's monstrous numbers.

The real question is: Which teams are close to contending and missing a piece at 2B?
    If BP were receptive to a change in approach I'd be in favor of keeping him around. Obviously I have no idea how realistic that is, but if I were the Reds it is something I'd make an attempt at.

If he became a guy who got on base a good clip with his defense, he could curse out CTrent and tweet about how bad his contract is before every single game and I'd be happy to have him.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 10-08-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

The time to change BP's approach would have been when he was 22, not 32. He is what he is at this point.

11. Likes:

Chip R (10-08-2013),Red in Chicago (10-08-2013),The_Mudshark (10-08-2013),UC_Ken (10-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    The time to change BP's approach would have been when he was 22, not 32. He is what he is at this point.
    Probably, in terms of his receptiveness to the change but not from an ability stand point. He could do it if he decided to.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Probably, in terms of his receptiveness to the change but not from an ability stand point. He could do it if he decided to.
    He's decided to before, and it's worked to a degree.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm wary of Guerrero, largely because he's not that toolsy.
    Yeah, I noticed he never runs. I then looked at a video of him in the field and he looks kind of stiff. And he's a little gutty. Not sure I want to get into a bidding war over the next Tim Teufel.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    I don't see how the notion is that ridiculous if they don't have a spot for him to play, are getting good production from the positions where he could play and already have those players under contract, and could use another elite arm in their rotation that they could realistically sign long term. The best prospect ever seems like a bit of a stretch to me, especially given his recent performance (albeit at a young age).
    Franchises #2 prospect after his age 17 season, number one since. Baseball America's #1 after his age 19 season. Yes, he's the best prospect they've ever had. Doesn't mean he will pan out, but his ceiling is 1st ballot HOF.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan View Post
    I disagree with this. BP changes his approach all the time. He's a chameleon at the plate.

He just needs the right backdrop. I wish he could spend 2 hours talking to Rickey Henderson.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

17. Likes:

Razor Shines (10-08-2013),REDREAD (10-09-2013)

I would call Texas and offer them BOTH Phillips and Bailey for a package of:

Profar
    Scheppers
    Martin Perez

Turn Off Ads?