Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Re: USMNT: The March to Brazil - World Cup 2014

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    There's a chance I suppose, but my faith in FIFA ever doing the United States a favor in World Cup seeding or pool placement is slim to nil.

If we did ever qualify under their nebulous "criteria/formula" they would likely just change it so we wouldn't.
    Sepp Blatter doesn't like us. The US is not a traditional soccer power he has to listen to and we're not a poor country he can bribe. Our only hope is that UEFA gets fed up with his shenanigans and threatens to bolt FIFA or Platini gets enough support to push him out. He's bought so many countries in the Caribbean, Asia, and Africa and likes to use the US as his whipping boy.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    There's a chance I suppose, but my faith in FIFA ever doing the United States a favor in World Cup seeding or pool placement is slim to nil.

If we did ever qualify under their nebulous "criteria/formula" they would likely just change it so we wouldn't.
    Near as I can tell, the formula gets changed regularly in order to keep England a #1 seed.

What I'd like to see is the top nation from each confederation get a #1 seed, plus the host nation, plus the top two remaining teams in the FIFA rankings.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

WMR (10-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Near as I can tell, the formula gets changed regularly in order to keep England a #1 seed.

What I'd like to see is the top nation from each confederation get a #1 seed, plus the host nation, plus the top two remaining teams in the FIFA rankings.
    The only problem with that is that if Oceana, if they win their play in, might get a seed. As far as host nation goes, I can't recall if they get put in Pot 1 with the seeded teams or not, but I'd rather not see Qatar in with the seeded teams when they host, unless the US gets drawn in their group. Of course knowing the Qataris, I fully expect them to field a team of Africans who suddenly turn up with Qatari passports.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The only problem with that is that if Oceana, if they win their play in, might get a seed. As far as host nation goes, I can't recall if they get put in Pot 1 with the seeded teams or not, but I'd rather not see Qatar in with the seeded teams when they host, unless the US gets drawn in their group. Of course knowing the Qataris, I fully expect them to field a team of Africans who suddenly turn up with Qatari passports.
    I'd exclude Oceana from getting a top seed, and I suspect Oceana wouldn't be offended. Mind you, we probably don't have to worry about any system that does anything other than automatically grant Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Spain and England top seeds (at least not within our lifetimes).

The host nation always gets a #1 seed, so Qatar will be getting one if it actually hosts the tournament.

You're welcome Mexico.

Sincerely,

Graham Zusi

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    You're welcome Mexico.

Sincerely,

Graham Zusi
    I'm really conflicted over tonight's results. It's great that the U.S. second team clawed back a win in Panama, but Mexico really deserved to get bounced.

I'm really conflicted over tonight's results. It's great that the U.S. second team clawed back a win in Panama, but Mexico really deserved to get bounced.
    I know it was tough. We can all still root for New Zealand to finish off the job next month though.

I know it was tough. We can all still root for New Zealand to finish off the job next month though.
    Interesting to see how Mexico reacts to their 2nd(3rd? 4th? 5th?) life in the qualifying. Outside of a wonderous Goal against Panama last week, they've looked like they couldn't play dead. Now, they're given an extra life, but they have to do it without Chicharito.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Chicarito seems to suck.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I love the fact that those losers on El Tri, and all their fans, have to sleep knowing that they crapped the bed -- again -- and it was the United States of America, playing their second team, that allowed them to back into the World Cup.

You get to play because big brother let you tag along.

Love. It.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I love the fact that those losers on El Tri, and all their fans, have to sleep knowing that they crapped the bed -- again -- and it was the United States of America, playing their second team, that allowed them to back into the World Cup.

You get to play because big brother let you tag along.

Love. It.
    http://deadspin.com/gooooaaaaaal-the...ffs-1446289121

Seriously, scroll down to see the translation of the Mexican announcer's comments. Crazy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...up-terror.html

Hopefully, this is all hot air. But who really knows?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If you want to be depressed about the US's chances in the upcoming World Cup, run through a few permutations of this random World Cup draw simulator.

http://ultra-zone.net/2014-FIFA-Worl...up-Stage-Draws
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If you want to be depressed about the US's chances in the upcoming World Cup, run through a few permutations of this random World Cup draw simulator.

http://ultra-zone.net/2014-FIFA-Worl...up-Stage-Draws
    Brian Strauss on SI.com had an article that discussed this. It is going to be a tough go unless a lot of luck falls the US way. If you want to advance you have to play top teams eventually, but it is nice if your group isn't Spain, Netherlands and Ivory Coast.

Turn Off Ads?