Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michael Lorenzen

Re: Michael Lorenzen

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    While they could sign Lorenzen below slot, I don't think they'll be able to save much, if any. He was not considered an overdraft.

They can save on Franklin, I think, since he was rated well below where he was selected, and on Weiss.
    Fair point. My guess is that among the three of them they need to save another $200K. Franklin may well be the best bet. There seems to be an agreement in place, yet an announcement has been slow in coming. There does not seem to be much to save on Weiss. Who knows though. They may have another really low deal in place to execute when UCLA finishes its season.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Why can't he pitch every 5th day as a starter and play OF the other days?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    He can, as long as you don't mind his arm falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Don't think I'd do that, but he could pitch and DH on other days.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Don't think I'd do that, but he could pitch and DH on other days.
    Agree with this. There isn't much question around his ability to be a good defensive OF. The question is his bat. Let him pitch every fifth day and DH every day. At least for the rest of this year in Billings.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agree with this. There isn't much question around his ability to be a good defensive OF. The question is his bat. Let him pitch every fifth day and DH every day. At least for the rest of this year in Billings.
    If he is dead-set on doing both, I'd rather use him in the same role he is used to this season. Sticking him at DH is basically the same thing as telling him they have no intention of giving him a fair shot as a position player. I'm sure the Reds would rather have him happy than grousing about not being given an opportunity to prove himself as a position player.

A half-season of relief work isn't going to do him any harm. Let him have his way in Billings then spend the offseason trying to convince him that his best chance to earn millions of dollars is with his arm, not his bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If he is dead-set on doing both, I'd rather use him in the same role he is used to this season. Sticking him at DH is basically the same thing as telling him they have no intention of giving him a fair shot as a position player. I'm sure the Reds would rather have him happy than grousing about not being given an opportunity to prove himself as a position player.

A half-season of relief work isn't going to do him any harm. Let him have his way in Billings then spend the offseason trying to convince him that his best chance to earn millions of dollars is with his arm, not his bat.
    I'd be ok with relief and some position time. Heck, in relief he may be ready for a higher levels. Pensacola sure doesn't have anybody standing in his way. He could pitch and play an OF corner and his pitching may be a revelation that would get him to the majors quickly. He might be a better option than some of the guys in the Reds pen right now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think some people forget that the Reds are dealing with a human being with his own wants, needs and dreams rather than a stratomatic card. The Reds may own his rights, but they don't actually own HIM. They need to convince him that their plans coincide with his best interest, but if he doesn't want to hear it, there is not a lot they can do about it other than keep him as happy as possible and keep trying to convince him.

I think some people forget that the Reds are dealing with a human being with his own wants, needs and dreams rather than a stratomatic card. The Reds may own his rights, but they don't actually own HIM. They need to convince him that their plans coincide with his best interest, but if he doesn't want to hear it, there is not a lot they can do about it other than keep him as happy as possible and keep trying to convince him.
    Does the fact that they drafted him so highly suggest that they have already had this conversation with him?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Does the fact that they drafted him so highly suggest that they have already had this conversation with him?
    It might .... or it might not.

Perhaps they have and he has already agreed to whatever plan they have for him, or perhaps they loved his arm so much that they were willing to roll the dice and then convince him later. Only the Reds and Lorenzen know for sure.

Disagree with this.

If a team wants you as a professional at a specific position and is willing to pay you significantly more money than you would otherwise make to play that position, the choice is either take it or do something else for a living - or at least, for as long as that team owns your rights for that sport.

Remember when Jim Bowden forced Alfonso Soriano to move to the OF? Soriano had a lot more leverage then (having already made millions of dollars and multiple All-Star appearances) than a guy like Lorenzen does now.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-19-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

It might .... or it might not.
    Do you happen to work in politics?

Just kidding.

I think if the Reds were doing their due diligence that they at least broached the subject with him. JMO. I could be entirely off-base.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Disagree with this.

If a team wants you as a professional at a specific position and is willing to pay you significantly more money than you would otherwise make to play that position, the choice is either take it or do something else for a living - or at least, for as long as that team owns your rights for that sport.
    I'm glad I don't work for you.

But seriously, people are hard to predict. Lorenzen might have his heart set on being the next Ken Griffey Jr, and he might be willing to wait for the 2014 draft if the Reds aren't willing to even listen to him on the subject.

You can't treat people like stratomatic cards.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (06-19-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I'm glad I don't work for you.

But seriously, people are hard to predict. Lorenzen might have his heart set on being the next Ken Griffey Jr, and he might be willing to wait for the 2014 draft if the Reds aren't willing to even listen to him on the subject.

You can't treat people like stratomatic cards.
    This.

But, the Reds have also publicly stated (whether they truly mean it or not is another story) that they are willing to let him do both and Lorenzen has publicly stated that he still wants to do both.

I don't see his use being the reason for a hold up. These things just take some time. It has been two weeks since the draft as of today. There really isn't a huge rush.

I could live with Lorenzen as a starting pitcher or as an OF. But to turn him into a bullpen arm after drafting him so high would be a huge HUGE disappointment. To me, the bullpen arm is the 4 year college guy drafted in the 5th round, who either makes it in the bullpen or not at all.

I still want to see him hit. The Reds are almost to the point where they have a lot of pitching, but need some lumber in the OF.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?