Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Re: 2009 UK Basketball Thread - Part III

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Maybe. The danger is that you go into Ohio State's current pattern. They pretty much expected Oden to leave, but Conley surprised them and they still haven't been able to replace him. You are going to have major holes on your team which you won't always be able to replace year in and year out.

The key to becoming Carolina is getting the those top recruits AND convincing them to play more than one year.
    The thing is, Kentucky's not Ohio State and Calipari's not Matta.

By the same token, Kentucky's not Memphis (in a good way).

As long as Cal does what he has always done--but now with the power of KENTUCKY basketball behind him--we're going to be more than fine.

"Becoming Carolina?" I just puked. We are KENTUCKY.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

As long as Cal does what he has always done--but now with the power of KENTUCKY basketball behind him--we're going to be more than fine.

Yeah, but if you look at some of the recent title winners, they are almost all teams that convinced their guys to come back instead of jumping to the NBA. They were not necessarily Freshmen dominated (aside from Syracuse). Florida won it then they all came back. Carolina had 2 or 3 guys who could have left. The same goes for Kansas and UCONN in '04. So, not only does Cal need to get the guys, but he needs some of them to stay.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Yeah, but if you look at some of the recent title winners, they are almost all teams that convinced their guys to come back instead of jumping to the NBA. They were not necessarily Freshmen dominated (aside from Syracuse). Florida won it then they all came back. Carolina had 2 or 3 guys who could have left. The same goes for Kansas and UCONN in '04. So, not only does Cal need to get the guys, but he needs some of them to stay.
    No doubt. Which is why a guy like Nolan Dennis is so valuable. If a kid is going to be a lottery pick, however, in my opinion he should go.

That will only enhance Kentucky and Cal's reputation with the cream of the cream of the crop type kids. It's all about showing kids that you can put them into the NBA and, as Cal said, "helping them realize their dreams."

No doubt. Which is why a guy like Nolan Dennis is so valuable. If a kid is going to be a lottery pick, however, in my opinion he should go. That will only enhance Kentucky and Cal's reputation with the cream of the cream of the crop type kids. It's all about showing kids that you can put them into the NBA and, as Cal said, "helping them realize their dreams."
    But the National Champs of the last few years have had kids who dreamed of both going to the league and winning a title in college. Being an NBDL franchise is nice. Being the last team standing is better. As you said, history is a great indicator of the future.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Hey then, we are almost even cause I've puked about six times in this thread from your nonsense
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I wonder if "Ole Roy" is still paying out the bonus rewards?
    I don't know - have any of "Ole Roy's" banners been taken down? Cause I'm pretty sure a banner has been taken down at UMass.....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Hey then, we are almost even cause I've puked about six times in this thread from your nonsense
    Keep carrying that cross, Puffy.

I don't know - have any of "Ole Roy's" banners been taken down? Cause I'm pretty sure a banner has been taken down at UMass.....
    Cool. This is the UK thread though, not UMass. As I recall, our boy Cal had nothing to do with that.

He never won one at Kansas.

And to add to that, John Calipari has ZERO NCAA infractions.
    Last edited by WVRed; 04-09-2009 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Former UK great and spearhead to get Gillispie removed Mike Casey has been taken off life support by his family.

Thoughts and prayers are with his family.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

And I've never sped according to the government. Come on, a booster doesn't pay a player without the coach knowing. I'm not saying Calipari is a cheater or or will ever have this happen again, but it's pretty ridiculous to say something like that. Plausible denibility isn't going to fly.

He never won one at Kansas.

Just so you know I am not making stuff up:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/ju...ens_basketball

Kansas University officials on Friday made public detailed reports of various violations of NCAA rules uncovered during a two-year internal investigation.

The most serious infractions found and reported to the NCAA apparently were in the men's football and women's basketball programs. But rules also were found to have been breached in the men's basketball program, mainly because of gifts of cash and clothing from team supporters to graduating or no-longer-eligible players.

Advertisement
    The reports will prompt the first NCAA investigation of KU athletics since 1988.

Football coach Mark Mangino and his assistant Clint Bowen were admonished by the university, and the football and women's basketball programs will lose scholarships as part of KU's self-imposed sanctions.

"We set very high standards at KU," Chancellor Robert Hemenway said during a media session at the Parrott Complex, "and we are very disappointed we fell short of those high standards."

Hemenway has placed the athletic department on two years of probation and approved the suggested penalties.

KU told the NCAA it will cut football scholarships from 25 to 24 over the next two seasons, as well as limit junior college recruitment. Most of the football violations involved improper monitoring of correspondence work and illegal transportation of student-athletes during the summer of 2003.

Kansas University Athletic Director Lew Perkins is surrounded by members of the media after a news conference announcing several NCAA rules violations by the program.
    "I did not know these violations were occurring at the time," Mangino said in a prepared statement, "but as the head coach I am aware that ultimately I am responsible for the actions of my staff."

Women's basketball grants were cut from 15 to 13 for the 2005-06 season. Most of the violations in that sport happened during the summer of 2002 and involved assistant coach Tim Eatman who is now an aide at Louisville. Then women's coach Marian Washington resigned during the course of the internal investigation, according to the university reports.

Men's basketball fell afoul of the rules mostly because of gifts to graduated players from donors Dana Anderson, Joan Edwards and Bernie Morgan. According to the report, the gifts of cash and clothing, totaling a few hundred dollars per player per season, were presented by those three team supporters after the 2000-01, 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons to players who had graduated or exhausted their eligibility.

Roy Williams, KU's coach at the time, was unaware that the gifts violated NCAA rules, KU Athletic Director Lew Perkins said.

According to the report, Williams said "there were at least two occasions when I was asked by an alum if they could send a gift to one of the youngsters who have graduated in appreciation for what they've done."

Williams said his response to those requests were, "I don't want this to be any humongous check or anything like that if it's truly just a gift for graduation; every graduating senior gets graduation gifts."

According to the report, Williams indicated he thought the gifts were OK because the athletes' eligibility was already completed.

KU officials said those who gave gifts to the athletes thought doing so was within the rules.

"Let me make it clear the donors did nothing wrong," Perkins said. "These people called the (KU) basketball office and were told it was OK."

No sanctions were imposed against men's basketball.

Rick Evrard, an attorney for the Overland Park law firm that conducted the two-year investigation, said he considered the donor violations secondary because KU "gained no recruiting advantage from them."

Perkins hired Evrard's firm after he was told by interim Athletic Director Drue Jennings on Perkins' first day on the job in June 2003 of possible violations. Jennings was filling in for Al Bohl, who was fired by Hemenway in April of that year.

"We have nothing to hide," Perkins said. "If we discover any additional information, we will investigate fully and follow the same procedures."

The NCAA, in a letter dated July 1, informed Perkins it was reviewing the report and conducting follow-up interviews. Hemenway said he was told the NCAA enforcement staff intended to complete this process by the fall.

"Over the past 24 months," Hemenway said, "we have engaged in a thorough process that I am confident has put us on the right track so that we can consistently meet our high standards now and in the future."

Perkins noted that self-reporting violations is required of NCAA member schools.

"We actively followed up on every piece of information," he said. "We discovered errors and we self-reported them as we are expected to do as members of the NCAA. We wish we did not have to go through this process, but we believe in the process and, in the end, it will make us better."

It better, Hemenway said, because the chancellor stressed he doesn't plan to attend any more media sessions announcing athletic department irregularities.

"This will not happen again," Hemenway said. "Let me emphasize : This will NOT happen again."

C'mon Puffy. You know St. Calipari had nothing to do with that...

I know you intended that to be sarcasm; however, as recently as two weeks ago, the NCAA reported that Calipari has zero dings on his record for his entire coaching career.

Sandy Bell (head of UK athletic compliance) is one of the most thorough individuals you will ever meet. When Calipari was mentioned for the UK job, she lobbied HARD against him to Dr. Todd, Mitch Barnhart and the Board. I am told that a great divide was created within the AD based upon the strength of emotions coming from Bell.

The moral to the story is that Bell (working in direct conjunction with the NCAA) could not dig up a single infraction against Calipari....Nada. By the end of the weekend, Bell knew she had performed her due dilligence and was happy to endorse Calipari as coach.

IIRC, even Pitino has something like six career infractions and sounds like Roy Williams better be on his best behavior. Marcus Camby's problem originated from an seedy agent who lurked around the UMass campus. It sounds like Roy Williams is gonna catch heat that was delivered courtesy of Kansas boosters.

There is a huge difference there, my friend.
    Last edited by Blimpie; 04-10-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    And I've never sped according to the government. Come on, a booster doesn't pay a player without the coach knowing. I'm not saying Calipari is a cheater or or will ever have this happen again, but it's pretty ridiculous to say something like that. Plausible denibility isn't going to fly.
    I missed this last night. Good post, I agree.

Turn Off Ads?