Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reds/Marlins Trade Brewing?

Re: Reds/Marlins Trade Brewing?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    What other targets?

Looking at last place teams..........Alex Rios is finally living up to his billing - .274, 8 HR's, .343 OBP, . 851 OPS, 6 SB. He makes $12.5M in 2013. If traded his 2014 salary increase $.5M to $13M. Team option for 2015 or $1M buyout. RH cleanup hitter.

Already mentioned.........Toronto.........Jose Bautista - .230, 7 HR's, .352 OBP, .852 OPS. RH cleanup hitter. $14M each season through 2015. Team option for $14M in 2016 or free agent.

Second hitter...........San Diego.........Chris Denorfia - .288, 2 HR's, .357 OBP. RH hitter.

Second hitter..............LAA.........Peter Bourjos - .313, .370 OBP, .827 OPS......plays good CF, has speed, gets on base. Move Choo to LF. Bourjos begins arbitration next season, and is a FA in 2017. Angels can play Trout in CF and move Trumbo out of the DH role. Trade them Neftali Soto and a pitching prospect. Soto can spell Pujols at 1B and let Pujols DH. Or Soto can DH. RH hitter.

Just some other ideas.
    I've openly pined for Alex Rios on this board for the better part of a decade. I'd still love to have him.

I wonder what the Sox would want? Kenny Williams isn't usually a seller.

I wonder if Ludwick+any two prospects other than Stephenson, Hamilton and Winker (ie Lutz, Gelalich, Y-Rod, Travieso, etc.) would be remotely interesting to get the conversation started?
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I've openly pined for Alex Rios on this board for the better part of a decade. I'd still love to have him.

Kenny isn't the GM anymore -- Rick Hahn is. Probably doesn't change anything though.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Kenny isn't the GM anymore -- Rick Hahn is. Probably doesn't change anything though.
    That's just in name though - kinda like Theo is still running the Cubs, Beinfest the Marlins, Shapiro the Indians, etc.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

I wonder if Ludwick+any two prospects other than Stephenson, Hamilton and Winker (ie Lutz, Gelalich, Y-Rod, Travieso, etc.) would be remotely interesting to get the conversation started?
    There would have to be a lot of money coming back too.

13:$13M, 14:$13M, 15:$14M club option ($1M buyout)

I don't see anyway the Reds deal for Stanton, but it would be the perfect situation if it happend. What a 3/4 for years you'd have in Votto and Stanton.

Stanton is the total package, young, hits for power, good OBP and perhaps the sexiest player in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Every time these Stanton threads/rumors make an appearance, I get nostalgic for the day that George Foster (#15) was traded to the Reds.

Rem
    Except Foster came over in 1971 for Frank Duffy and some pitcher and was not an established star. He didn't even become a regular for the Reds until May '75. I'm not sure how a Stanton rumor is analogous to a deal for Foster, which was minor and to fill a gap for the injured star (Tolan).
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Willingham would be my target, but I don't foresee the Twins wanting to move him. He's under contract for '13 and '14 at $7 million each.

Maybe Michael Morse of the Mariners...free agent after this year, making around $6 mil. Not sure if he's played any left field though.

Interestingly...both of those guys have one of their top comps as Ryan Ludwick.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Willingham would be my target, but I don't foresee the Twins wanting to move him. He's under contract for '13 and '14 at $7 million each.

Maybe Michael Morse of the Mariners...free agent after this year, making around $6 mil. Not sure if he's played any left field though.

Interestingly...both of those guys have one of their top comps as Ryan Ludwick.
    I was in favor of getting Morse this offseason, and he is starts in RF regularly for Seattle and plays LF as well. He's struggled a bit since getting hit on the hand with a pitch, but I still think he'd be worth pursuing.

But the Mariners probably aren't going to be selling off pieces until the deadline (right now they're 3 games under .500 and in third place), at which point we would likely already have Ludwick back.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I don't think Ludwick will be back for a long time. Talked to someone who went to his son's t-ball game the other night, and Ludwick was there with his son playing too. Said he's got 4 months of rehab yet.

We've seen it from Walt before...he's just going to ride things out until the prices drop on potential trade targets. That probably won't be until July.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I don't think Ludwick will be back for a long time. Talked to someone who went to his son's t-ball game the other night, and Ludwick was there with his son playing too. Said he's got 4 months of rehab yet.

We've seen it from Walt before...he's just going to ride things out until the prices drop on potential trade targets. That probably won't be until July.
    That's 4 months of rehab before he even starts hitting. Then he has to get his swing and timing back.

Mid-September is when he starts back. And he'll probably be useless after that. Not his fault. Just the way things go.

But I would write off Ludwick this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    That's 4 months of rehab before he even starts hitting. Then he has to get his swing and timing back.

Mid-September is when he starts back. And he'll probably be useless after that. Not his fault. Just the way things go.

But I would write off Ludwick this season.
    Not true. He'll be able to soft-toss hitting about 8-10 weeks after his surgery. Labrum repairs are not extremely difficult to rehab from (pale in comparison to rotator cuff). Ludwick will be back this season. Another good thing is that it's NOT his throwing arm and hitting does not put a lot of pressure on your labrum, opposite that of throwing. I had surgery Nov. 2 for a 60% torn labrum and 40% torn bicep. I started my hitting rehab Jan 2, throwing rehab and golf on Feb 2. Thats all without having the rehab resources that Ludwick has at his disposal.

13. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I was in favor of getting Morse this offseason, and he is starts in RF regularly for Seattle and plays LF as well. He's struggled a bit since getting hit on the hand with a pitch, but I still think he'd be worth pursuing.

But the Mariners probably aren't going to be selling off pieces until the deadline (right now they're 3 games under .500 and in third place), at which point we would likely already have Ludwick back.
    I've alwayse liked Morse as a potential target as well. I expect Walt to pull off a move like this in the summer if Ludwick's return to the lineup and full health is still questionable.

Is a trade still brewing?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Is a trade still brewing?
    It's a slow drip brew

17. Likes:

mattfeet (05-11-2013),Nasty_Boy (05-14-2013),Raisor (05-10-2013),TheBigLebowski (05-11-2013),Tommyjohn25 (05-12-2013)

This has to be the most inaccurate thread title of all time. And yet, every time I come to RZ, I fall for it anyway.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

19. Likes:

Nasty_Boy (05-14-2013)

Turn Off Ads?