Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio-Indiana Roadtrip

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Ohio-Indiana Roadtrip

It looks like the family and I are going to take a week in July and see some friends and family in the Midwest.

We'll be doing a circuit that is Cincinnati-Indianapolis-Cleveland-Cincinnati.
    Not sure if we include Chicago on the trip (but maybe).

So what's to see around your neck of the woods? We will be in GABP for at least one game, but otherwise it's pretty much open.

Cedar Point? Worth it? (we live in Florida, Orlando is our backyard).

Parks? Natural Wonders? Unusual Sites?
    Especially good places to eat?

Thanks all...
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio-Indiana Roadtrip

Cedar Point is definitely worth it if you love roller coasters. I think they've got the most in one location. It's really more of a classic amusement park and they have a water park next door. If you're out there, you can also check out Marblehead and the Lake Erie Islands if you have time. Cleveland has some fun things to do, like the Rock Hall and the Great Lakes Science Center is fun for kids. The Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton, 1 hour south of Cleveland. There is also the Cuyahoga Valley National Park between Cleveland and Akron.

As far as food goes, a popular eatery is Panini's Grille, with multiple locations in the area. Ironically, they don't serve traditional panini-style sandwiches, but rather have a variety of "overstuffed" sandwiches in which you can get your choice of meats, cheeses and other items cooked on the grille (kitchen, not bbq), topped with fries and cole slaw and served between two thick slices of bread.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Not sure how old your kids are but Indianapolis has a fantastic childrens museum and Victory Field is a wonderful place to watch a minor league baseball game.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    It looks like the family and I are going to take a week in July and see some friends and family in the Midwest.

We'll be doing a circuit that is Cincinnati-Indianapolis-Cleveland-Cincinnati.
    Not sure if we include Chicago on the trip (but maybe).

So what's to see around your neck of the woods? We will be in GABP for at least one game, but otherwise it's pretty much open.

Cedar Point? Worth it? (we live in Florida, Orlando is our backyard).

Parks? Natural Wonders? Unusual Sites?
    Especially good places to eat?

Thanks all...
    Kings island and Cedar Point are great family stops. If your family really likes roller coasters, then Cedar Point has the edge on KI. Ya gotta ride the Dragster.

I can get you discount tickets to either of these places through work ($10 off/ticket).

Columbus Zoo is worth the trip.

Up around my neck of the woods you have Ohio Caverns. Could be a nice afternoon stop if you're heading from Cincy to Cleveland.

Also - taking the Jet Express out to Put-In-Bay would be a neat family venture. Historical and lots to do...

http://www.putinbayonline.com/index.php

http://www.jet-express.com/index.php...&id=5&Itemid=2
    Last edited by GAC; 06-02-2009 at 05:37 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Check out the National Museum of the US Air Force. It is the best collection of military, experimental and presidential aircraft in the world (and it's free). Also, there's the Wright Brothers sites and Huffman prairie about five minutes away from the museum.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

http://www.nps.gov/partnerships/huff...ying_field.htm
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-02-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The "kids" are 19 and 15, but don't mind hanging out with "mom and dad".

Keep the ideas coming...please. Thx.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

Swing on by Bloomington instead of driving straight to Indy. There are gobs of good restaurants here, from Afghani to Thai, plus the IU School of Music (#1 in the nation) puts on concerts all summer long. Lots of them are free.
    You could stop here, have an early dinner, stroll from downtown across the IU campus to the music school for a show, then drive on up to Indy.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 06-02-2009 at 08:39 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The "kids" are 19 and 15, but don't mind hanging out with "mom and dad".

Keep the ideas coming...please. Thx.
    In Cleveland, you might also enjoy checking out Great Lakes Brewing Company. Great microbrews and a nice restaurant to boot. It's across the street from the West Side Market, which has a variety of ethnic foods.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

For Indy, the NCAA Head Quarters is located here with a pretty cool museum and of course the Speedway which even if you are not a race fan is a place that everyone should see at least once.

Also try to take in a game at Victory Field. It has been ranked as one of the top Minor league parks in the nation. You also might try to tour Lucas Oil Stadium and Hinkle Field House where "Hoosiers" was filmed.

For restaurants you might try Iaria's or Milano Inn for Italian. St. Elmos, Shula's or Mortons for Steak. Shapiro's for sandwiches.

If wife is in to shopping or the crafty stuff look into the Broad Ripple area or go to Brown County which is like an hour away from Indianapolis. It's a small village with alot of girly type shops.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Nice towns in Indiana to visit are Madison (nice burg on the river), Columbus (great architecture), and Brown County/Nashville (artists).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    St. Elmos.........for Steak.
    Ahhh, St. Elmo's. I used to look forward to dining there when I would visit Indianapolis. Haven't been there since probably '78 but I still see it listed among the best steakhouses in the country. Had some good times there.

Rem

Is it worthwhile to go somewhere and stare at the Amish?
    Can you actually do that?

Never tried that. But you could go to Conner Prairie up in Indy. That way, you'd be staring at people who are doing stuff like the Amish, but who are there to be watched...
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

These days, the Amish will be glad to sell you something while you're staring at them: food, furniture, puppies. I do recommend the food link.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    For Indy, the NCAA Head Quarters is located here with a pretty cool museum and of course the Speedway which even if you are not a race fan is a place that everyone should see at least once.

Also try to take in a game at Victory Field. It has been ranked as one of the top Minor league parks in the nation. You also might try to tour Lucas Oil Stadium and Hinkle Field House where "Hoosiers" was filmed.

For restaurants you might try Iaria's or Milano Inn for Italian. St. Elmos, Shula's or Mortons for Steak. Shapiro's for sandwiches.

If wife is in to shopping or the crafty stuff look into the Broad Ripple area or go to Brown County which is like an hour away from Indianapolis. It's a small village with alot of girly type shops.

NCAA museum's closed(unless they've real recently re-opened it), but the State museum's pretty awesome.

Turn Off Ads?