Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/sp...r=2&ref=sports

Turkish Team Says It Paid a Top Kentucky Recruit

ISTANBUL — The best recruit in Kentucky’s top-ranked recruiting class, the Turkish center Enes Kanter, received more than $100,000 in cash and benefits over three years from the professional team he played for here, according to the team’s general manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/sp...r=2&ref=sports

Turkish Team Says It Paid a Top Kentucky Recruit

ISTANBUL — The best recruit in Kentucky’s top-ranked recruiting class, the Turkish center Enes Kanter, received more than $100,000 in cash and benefits over three years from the professional team he played for here, according to the team’s general manager.
    Ruh roh Shaggy.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

To be fair. Better to find out now, than in April.

I've got to think this hurts the front court quite a bit for Kentucky though.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

That Pete Thamel is some great reporter.

There is no guarantee that the NCAA will clear Kanter. I believe they will, but there are no guarantees when the NCAA gets involved.

NYT as crappy as ever. Love letting the jilted lovers in Turkey disparage the character of a 17 y/o kid in your paper. You would think the egg Thamel got on his and his paper's face from the Bledsoe debacle would have smartened them up a bit... guess it just made them more determined to be boorish.
    Last edited by WMR; 09-07-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    So the Turkish GM says that they played $100,000 to UK's top recruit and this is Pete Thamel's fault how?

I'm sure Thamel used some voodoo to trick the GM into saying this.

So the Turkish GM says that they played $100,000 to UK's top recruit and this is Pete Thamel's fault how?

I'm sure Thamel used some voodoo to trick the GM into saying this.
    Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Of course the team in Turkey has bad things to say about Kanter. Did you even read the article? The only way they benefit is if they can force him into playing somewhere professionally next season.

There is no guarantee that the NCAA will clear Kanter. I believe they will, but there are no guarantees when the NCAA gets involved.

NYT as crappy as ever. Love letting the jilted lovers in Turkey disparage the character of a 17 y/o kid in your paper. You would think the egg Thamel got on his and his paper's face from the Bledsoe debacle would have smartened them up a bit... guess it just made them more determined to be boorish.
    Egg on their face? I've yet to see one answer as to how this isn't news. AGAIN, to carry on the same argument, SHOW ME ONE THING THAT WAS INCORRECT IN EITHER ARTICLE AND I'LL BE HAPPY TO DEFER TO YOUR NEWS JUDGEMENT.
    Tell me why they shouldn't be reporting on this?
    Because it's being mean to a 17 year old?

Egg on their face? I've yet to see one answer as to how this isn't news. AGAIN, to carry on the same argument, SHOW ME ONE THING THAT WAS INCORRECT IN EITHER ARTICLE AND I'LL BE HAPPY TO DEFER TO YOUR NEWS JUDGEMENT.
    Tell me why they shouldn't be reporting on this?
    Because it's being mean to a 17 year old?
    Wow, you're not being obtuse intentionally, I can see that now.

I'm sure we'll finally find out about the Kentucky connection to that story any day now.
    I mean, it WAS a KENTUCKY story, right?
    It amazes me, all these posts, and you still don't comprehend my issue with the NYT and Pete Thamel.

Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Of course the team in Turkey has bad things to say about Kanter. Did you even read the article? The only way they benefit is if they can force him into playing somewhere professionally next season.
    Certainly some skepticism is warranted when evaluating the Turkish teams intentions.
    Just curious though, you've said you believe the NCAA will clear him to play. What evidence being presented would lead you to believe he wouldn't be cleared. I mean won't all evidence have some taint of bias in it?

Same thing as the Bledsoe case, obviously there's a reason to be skeptical about what was being presented against him, but what specifically aside from the big blue jersey should lead you to believe him?

Certainly some skepticism is warranted when evaluating the Turkish teams intentions.
    Just curious though, you've said you believe the NCAA will clear him to play. What evidence being presented would lead you to believe he wouldn't be cleared. I mean won't all evidence have some taint of bias in it?

Same thing as the Bledsoe case, obviously there's a reason to be skeptical about what was being presented against him, but what specifically aside from the big blue jersey should lead you to believe him?
    From people who are close to the Kanter's, his family is very well-educated and kept meticulous documents concerning his monies received etc. etc. from the foreign clubs...

As far as Bledsoe, it was never about believing or disbelieving, it was about casting aspersions on Kentucky and Cal when neither had a DAMN thing to do with anything concerning monies allegedly paid for rent or whatever.

Wow, you're not being obtuse intentionally, I can see that now.

I'm sure we'll finally find out about the Kentucky connection to that story any day now.
    I mean, it WAS a KENTUCKY story, right?
    It amazes me, all these posts, and you still don't comprehend my issue with the NYT and Pete Thamel.
    No, essentially your issue is that Pete Thamel wrote something mean about UK.

Poor Poor UK.

Everybody's so mean to them. And the big bad NYT reporter keeps finding these people and asking them what the mean things about UK are.

It's news and I cannot for the life of me see how it's not, WMR.

That said, the Turkish team has an awful lot to gain if Kanter is declared ineligible.

No, essentially your issue is that Pete Thamel wrote something mean about UK.

Poor Poor UK.

Everybody's so mean to them. And the big bad NYT reporter keeps finding these people and asking them what the mean things about UK are.
    You got me.

If he had something LEGITIMATE about dirty stuff going on at UK, I would WANT it brought to light and exposed.

The first article was bad, this one was worse.

I wonder if a national article such as this one makes the NCAA more or less likely to declare Kanter eligible? But Thamel couldn't find someone to give the other side of the story. Yea right. Sounds like he tried really hard.

From people who are close to the Kanter's, his family is very well-educated and kept meticulous documents concerning his monies received etc. etc. from the foreign clubs...

As far as Bledsoe, it was never about believing or disbelieving, it was about casting aspersions on Kentucky and Cal when neither had a DAMN thing to do with anything concerning monies allegedly paid for rent or whatever.
    But that's the spot where we disagree, and to be honest the rest of the world of people who aren't Kentucky fans seems to agree with me, the NYTimes articles weren't casting aspersions but rather were reporting on things being investigated by the NCAA.
    In each case the only reason I know to have some skepticism is because the article gave me some of the very reasons you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It's news and I cannot for the life of me see how it's not, WMR.

That said, the Turkish team has an awful lot to gain if Kanter is declared ineligible.
    Anything involving UK is news. It's just really crappy the way the NYT and Thamel choose to present it, especially where kids are involved.

Turn Off Ads?