Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who do you root for this October?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Phillies

4 4.55%
  • Cubs

1 1.14%
  • Dodgers

4 4.55%
  • Brewers

6 6.82%
  • Rays

35 39.77%
  • White Sox

32 36.36%
  • Angels

3 3.41%
  • Red Sox

3 3.41%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who's Your Adopted Playoff Team?

Re: Who's Your Adopted Playoff Team?

Rays.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I chose Tampa just for their Cinderella story, but it was a tough decision to make against the White Sox (and the Griffey factor), although I won't weep over Ozzie Guillen being miserable. Torre's story is a good one too.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Well, I'd have to say the Rays. The following is my tortured logic.

I really can't root for anyone in the NL:
    - I hate the Cubs. Period. I really hope they gag up a huge hairball and go all Steve Bartman and goat and all that. Cubs fans don't deserve the Curse getting broken.
    - I used to hate the Dodgers and still carry a sincere dislike for them.
    - About the only Phillie I ever liked was Mike Schmidt.
    - The Brewers are the team I dislike the least, but I still don't like them very much. A very luke-cold adoption of this team that I will abandon at my whim.

In the AL:
    - The White Sox are from Chicago and that's close enough to the Cubs for me. I know Griff is on their team, but even if they win it, he won't have a whole lot to do with it and he'll just be riding on others' coattails. So that doesn't carry a lot of weight for me. Maybe I'll feel different as the playoffs progress.
    - Angels are from LA and I don't like LA.
    - The first couple times the Red Sox won, I was happy for them and their fans. Unlike Cubs fans, their fans did deserve redemption. But they are getting a little too Yankee-ish for my tastes and have slid down the pecking order.

So that leaves the Rays. A nice story, somebody fresh and new, and I like a manager who wears glasses like Maddon.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

We really are a bitter bunch, aren't we?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The Cubs are my second favorite playoff team.

First Place is a tie between Phillies, Brewers, Dodgers, Rays, BoSox, ChiSox and Angels.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I voted Rays, but Cubs are a close 2nd. I just want to have a massive party in the loop again.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

NONE

However, if Jr and the Sox can get past the Rays and are fighting it tooth & nail to make it into the WS then I may tune in for a bit. Normally however I don't condone adopting other teams, I love baseball but more than that I hate to root for anyone but my team. I take the stance that if my team doesn't make it to the postseason then neither do I, needless to say it's been quite a long drought for me.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    No kidding.

It's the White Sox for me too, thanks to Griffey. Although part of me wants to see Ozzie Guillen suffer. Is that wrong?
    No one remembers him making the choking sign at the Indians in 2005? He deserves to have it thrown back at him, not that anyone else would actually do it.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    No one remembers him making the choking sign at the Indians in 2005? He deserves to have it thrown back at him, not that anyone else would actually do it.
    He argued immediately that he was communicating with a fan about something specific (I forget what it was, but it sounded plausible). I'll be the first to grill Guillen for his many offensive gaffes, but I don't believe that was one of them. One thing to be said about that guy is that you pretty much see what you get, and he usually owns up to his offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    We really are a bitter bunch, aren't we?
    Get off my lawn, punk.

Actually, I do enjoy watching post-season baseball mostly for its quality.

One thing I'll say for the MLB 162 game season is that it does separate the men from the boys. The teams in the playoffs have earned it. And usually both teams are playing their hardest.

I'm disappointed in that the Reds aren't in it because I am a Reds fan. But I'm also a baseball fan and enjoy watching a well-played game (not long ago I watched a Rays-BoSox 14 inning nail-biter game start to finish and that White Sox-Twins game was a good one last night).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Get off my lawn, punk.

Actually, I do enjoy watching post-season baseball mostly for its quality.

One thing I'll say for the MLB 162 game season is that it does separate the men from the boys. The teams in the playoffs have earned it. And usually both teams are playing their hardest.

I'm disappointed in that the Reds aren't in it because I am a Reds fan. But I'm also a baseball fan and enjoy watching a well-played game (not long ago I watched a Rays-BoSox 14 inning nail-biter game start to finish and that White Sox-Twins game was a good one last night).
    Roy, I have actually said prayers requesting things relative to the Chicago Cubs that might be construed as remarkably unprayerful. You need elicit no further sympathy from me regarding your overcrowded lawn.

And I'm still looking forward to the playoffs too

The Rays. I suggested them as the team for my dad to put some money on in Vegas at the beginning of the season and he did. I feel smart.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Roy, I have actually said prayers requesting things relative to the Chicago Cubs that might be construed as remarkably unprayerful.

I don't know about that. Rooting against the Cubs and wanting them to lose is God's work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The Rays. I suggested them as the team for my dad to put some money on in Vegas at the beginning of the season and he did. I feel smart.
    What was the line?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I voted for the Rays. However I will root for the winner of the Rays/White Sox series.

Turn Off Ads?