Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds management taking a beating over use of roster on radio

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Reds management taking a beating over use of roster on radio

Seems like every time I turn on a sportstalk show this week, Lance, Ken Broo, or others have had some national baseball guru/analyst guest ripping on the Reds for lack of OBP players, the lack of a leadoff hitter or legit cleanup hitter, and the use of Chapman.

Funny how everyone in the country including Reds fans can see all of this but management has ignored it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds management taking a beating over use of roster on radio

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Seems like every time I turn on a sportstalk show this week, Lance, Ken Broo, or others have had some national baseball guru/analyst guest ripping on the Reds for lack of OBP players, the lack of a leadoff hitter or legit cleanup hitter, and the use of Chapman.

Funny how everyone in the country including Reds fans can see all of this but management has ignored it.
    I don't think management is ignoring it. It's not exactly easy to find cleanup hitters and high OBP players up and down the lineup. I'm as frustrated as anyone else, but I'm sure Walt is more than aware of our weaknesses.

So the Reds don't recognize something that involves their day to day business and Lance and Ken are not making them privy to this?

Traitors!!

There are two parts to a problem:

1: Identifying the problem
    2: What can you do about it?

Fans and gurus/analysts are long in the tooth on identifying problems, fixing the problem is not as easy as starting threads on "trade targets." Financial committments, years committments, other teams wanting something in return for their players that might help us, all of these things the pundits don't have to deal with. They just get to throw a bunch of crap out there and say "this is a problem the Reds need to fix," then jump to the conclusion that they don't see it as a problem because a change doesn't happen yesterday.

Then they do a transaction and the pundits talk about what a stupid move that was, with a 100 reasons why.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    So the Reds don't recognize something that involves their day to day business and Lance and Ken are not making them privy to this?

Traitors!!
    You'd at least think they'd email this critical information, even if they have to do so anonymously for the good of the order.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

Fans and gurus/analysts are long in the tooth on identifying problems, fixing the problem is not as easy as starting threads on "trade targets." Financial committments, years committments, other teams wanting something in return for their players that might help us, all of these things the pundits don't have to deal with. They just get to throw a bunch of crap out there and say "this is a problem the Reds need to fix," then jump to the conclusion that they don't see it as a problem because a change doesn't happen yesterday.

Then they do a transaction and the pundits talk about what a stupid move that was, with a 100 reasons why.
    There were a LOT of sharp people on this board who identified this problem long ago, back to last year and into the off-season, and who made suggestions.

Lets not pretend there is some sort of alchemy needed.

There needs to be a shake up. If you are going to keep Dusty then shake up the coaching staff. Jacoby needs to go. Or Chris Spier. This team needs a HOT HEAD as a coach. Someone to get in the players grill. We ain't hittin and thus the coach must go.

Upper management can't play good guy. Thanks for being here jacoby but its not working out.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    There needs to be a shake up. If you are going to keep Dusty then shake up the coaching staff. Jacoby needs to go. Or Chris Spier. This team needs a HOT HEAD as a coach. Someone to get in the players grill. We ain't hittin and thus the coach must go.

Upper management can't play good guy. Thanks for being here jacoby but its not working out.
    Why do fans always want their team to be led by a boss they'd never want to have in the real world?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Why do fans always want their team to be led by a boss they'd never want to have in the real world?
    Yelling at players died with Dick Williams, the players make millions of bucks, the team is invested in them way beyond any value a screaming manager can garnish.

These are men, rich, entitled men... Friday Night Lights ain't a good fit, those days are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Excellent question.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Not a big fan of yelling as motivation.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Not a big fan of yelling as motivation.
    As long as it's not an effort issue I'd agree.

I don't think I've ever decided to give more effort because I was yelled at. Treat people with dignity.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

I think you're right to a point. They aren't going to get David Wright for spare parts, but there are a number of guys who would diversify and inprove this roster who went for next to nothing over the winter.

Seth Smith .247/.382/.393/.775 vs RHP (and I wonder how much Oakland may have cost him in the slugging dept) was dealt for a fringe 5th starter and a failed bullpen lefty who is long past propect status over the winter. Raul Ibanez .264/.331/.557/.887 had trouble finding a job and signed with the Yankees for $1.1 Million. Bobby Abreu was released by the Angels and has given the Dodgers .300/.378/.475/.853 for the minimum.

I could go on, but the fact is that the Reds chose to add Ryan Ludwick to a roster that was already overloaded with medium power, low OBP, RH Bats. This isn't a case of couldn't get 'em. It was a case of poor choosing.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-20-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think you're right to a point. They aren't going to get David Wright for spare parts, but there are a number of guys who would diversify and inprove this roster who went for next to nothing over the winter.

Seth Smith .247/.382/.393/.775 vs RHP (and I wonder how much Oakland may have cost him in the slugging dept) was dealt for a fringe 5th starter and a failed bullpen lefty who is long past propect status over the winter. Raul Ibanez .264/.331/.557/.887 had trouble finding a job and signed with the Yankees for $1.1 Million. Bobby Abreu was released by the Angels and has given the Dodgers .300/.378/.475/.853 for the minimum.

I could go on, but the fact is that the Reds chose to add Ryan Ludwick to a roster that was already overloaded with medium power, low OBP, RH Bats. This isn't a case of couldn't get 'em. It was a case of poor choosing.
    Ibanez with his 9th HR today to give him 27 rbi on the season, while hitting .275. Yeah, sign Ludwick to $3M and let Ibanez go to the Yanks for $1.1M. As the beer ad says, BRILLIANT!

Turn Off Ads?