Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choo long-term? Might be a possibility...

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Choo long-term? Might be a possibility...

I would love to be wrong, but Choo is not as good as most here are making him out to be. He's pretty good. Throwing around terms like "one of the best offensive players in baseball" and "he's a guy you can build a team around" are extreme exaggerations IMO. I'm concerned that his numbers have tailed off the last two years.

Glad the Reds have him, but I'm taken aback a bit by all the comments about his perceived greatness. I hope some of you aren't setting yourself up for disappointment. Choo is a lot closer to "good" than "great."

Then again, that's one heck of an upgrade from Drew Stubbs so I DO understand the excitement to some degree.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gotta say Choo would be an upgrade long-term over Ludwick but I don't see him as a huge building block.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

its pretty amazing money almost means nothing to any team now. or so it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    As the old joke goes

How do you know Scott Boras is lying?

His lips are moving
    I understand that's the pat answer viz. Scott Boras, but I think he's more complex than that. There's no benefit in presenting it like that right now. Choo's signed for the year and the sales pitch for other clubs doesn't start until after the season is over. And the presumption is he's here for the one year. I think it's a genuine representation of the conversation.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

6. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (02-15-2013)

If I read it correctly, Choo has the 7th highest OBP among all major leaguers over the past five seasons. That makes him a great offensive player in my book. I would be thrilled if the Reds can sign him to a long term deal. Imagine an outfield of Choo/Hamilton/Bruce for the next five years. I think Choo is going to have a monster season - I'm thinking 20-25 HR, a .390 OBP, .450+ SLG.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 02-16-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Choo's bat is as solid as it gets and while he may be a bit of a question mark in CF he'd be a helluva defensive LFer.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    its pretty amazing money almost means nothing to any team now. or so it seems.
    Something's going on with this that I don't think we know yet. I'm not sure if it's all the new potential tv money (both local and national), or if it's additional revenue streams teams are seeing. But, it's widespread enough that I don't think it's foolish spending.

I really don't think it's collusion, but it sure seems like a lot of teams are starting to catch up with the Yankees/Red Sox in terms of payroll. Who knows what really goes on between the owners in their meetings.

Hell, next year the Reds may have a 120 million payroll. It's nuts.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Ludwick's OPS last year was 62 points higher than Choo's.

I like Choo but I think some are selling Ludwick short.

Plus, I don't see Choo being as good a LF as Ludwick.

11. Likes:

Superdude (02-16-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

They are very different players, though. Ludwicks OPS is based on him being a slugger. Choo, while having some good pop, has an OPS that is driven by his ability to get on base.

I like the team with Choo because it gives much better scoring opportunities to our big sluggers.

don't forget Ludwick 4 years older also

I am glad that the door was left open, to a signing. No harm in seeing how he takes to his new surroundings, before tossing him a bunch of long term cash.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Pure marketing ploy by Borus.The Devils agent.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    If I read it correctly, Choo has the 7th highest OBP among all major leaguers over the past five seasons. That makes him a great offensive player in my book. I would be thrilled if the Reds can sign him to a long term deal. Imagine an outfield of Choo/Hamilton/Bruce for the next five years. I think is going to have a monster season - I'm thinking 20-25 HR, a .390 OBP, .450+ SLG.
    This. If we could sign Choo for 4-5 years and still lock up either Cueto or Latos, that would be huge. Then we would have a great bench bat with Ludwick in 2014. Imagine Votto's numbers with Hamilton and Choo hitting in front of him...I could see a couple more MVP seasons from him.
    Last edited by nate1213; 02-16-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post

I'm feeling the same thing. Ludwick is getting up there in age and coming off a slew of bad years, so I see the point to a degree. On the other hand, I saw a guy that came into his own at GABP as the season went on, was a top shelf slugger in the second half, and appeared pretty fresh for a 34 year old. Things can change fast at Ludwick's age, but I don't think you can write him off as a pinch hitting lemon in 2014 at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Boras said Reds general manager Walt Jocketty expressed interest in talking about a long term deal.

“Walt told me Choo is the type of player he would like to talk about for the long term, but he wants to focus on this year first and we can talk about it after this season,” said Boras."

-Matt
    I think Boras may be open to signing in-season. Especially, after seeing some of his free agents having late signings this year taking less money.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?