Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

You can't convince me that Olivo won't be Ginsburg.

2. Likes:

OGB (03-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...n-and-closing/

Bryan Price on Chapman

“I’ve been clear that I like the idea of Aroldis getting ready as a starter,” Price said. “But, at the same time, we’ve got to look at what is best for the team. I’ve never said (that I prefer him to close). I’d be disappointed if I was characterized as saying that.”

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You can't convince me that Olivo won't be Ginsburg.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

6. Likes:

OGB (03-20-2013),Tom Servo (03-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post

Hard for me to find the stats, so does anyone know how Mes did last spring?
    .250 .295 .450 .745 last spring. He hit well in 2011 Spring.

8. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-14-2013)

Jason Donald with two hits today now at .370. Izturis having good spring too, I don't think Burriss is realistically in the hunt.

Have always thought Reds would prefer to keep Donald, but Izturis has better defensive rep. Barring injury those two are vying feverishly for one spot.

Hannahan hasn't hit much this spring, but has a two year deal, insurance for Frazier, I think he's a lock regardless of the spring numbers.

Clay Hensley gave up big lead today to Mariners, given Reds' logjam in pen, don't see Clay with a realistic chance with ERA at 5.00. Started strong, but. . . .

Mesoraco now near .500 BA, Olivo below .100 BA. I want Mes to get regular playing time, if he continues his hot hitting maybe he gets that additional PT in the big leagues. Olivo certainly isn't providing a reason to send Mes to AAA.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-14-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Jason Donald with two hits today now at .370. Izturis having good spring too, I don't think Burriss is realistically in the hunt.

Have always thought Reds would prefer to keep Donald, but Izturis has better defensive rep. Barring injury those two are vying feverishly for one spot.

Hannahan hasn't hit much this spring, but has a two year deal, insurance for Frazier, I think he's a lock regardless of the spring numbers.

Clay Hensley gave up big lead today to Mariners, given Reds' logjam in pen, don't see Clay with a realistic chance with ERA at 5.00. Started strong, but. . . .

Mesoraco now near .500 BA, Olivo below .100 BA. I want Mes to get regular playing time, if he continues his hot hitting maybe he gets that additional PT in the big leagues. Olivo certainly isn't providing a reason to send Mes to AAA.
    Hannahan has faced mostly lefties early this spring, due to some bad luck. He's not going to face that many In the regular season, so I doubt the Reds are too worried about him at this point.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Hoover fanned three minor leaguers tonight to strike out the side in the ninth. JJ's having a real good spring, should be interesting to see the Reds' bullpen decisions.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-16-2013 at 01:46 AM.

I'd love to see them make some decisions that are not based squarely on who has options or who is on the 40-man. It seems that the pro forma nature of roster decisions has really taken hold lately, but I like the idea that certain positions go up for grabs.

Great to see Mes having some success.

13. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-16-2013)

Yeah but, Ruth Ginsberg calls a smart game behind the plate.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

OGB (03-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'd love to see them make some decisions that are not based squarely on who has options or who is on the 40-man. It seems that the pro forma nature of roster decisions has really taken hold lately, but I like the idea that certain positions go up for grabs.

Great to see Mes having some success.
    Agreed. Mesoraco and Hoover both need to be on the team. IMO, the Reds are a better team with them. Besides Chapman and Marshall, Hoover was the reliever I felt most comfortable with on the mound last season.

17. Likes:

jmac (03-16-2013)

Watched two Reds games in Arizona last two days (today split squad v. Giants) and will add to this thread that I think Mesoraco will definitely be a Red out of spring training. I had suggested he go to AAA for at bats, but he seems very ready. Today, he hit a sharp double and really hustled to second. Runs pretty well for a catcher, as they say. He seems confident and on his game.

The pitching staff battle is pretty fierce. Leake didn't do well today, has a high spring ERA. Meanwhile Chapman pitched a solid four innings, although his control wasn't great. I saw Parra today who allowed a long homer but fooled a lot of hitters. Ondrusek was hit pretty hard, but kept the damage to one run in two innings.

In the game I did not see today, Arredondo had a nice inning with two Ks, which helps his cause.

One last note, Izturis looks like a shortstop. He is very comfortable out there, really knows the position. Guessing his range is reduced at this point, but the battle with him and Donald is probably a close one I'd imagine.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-16-2013 at 09:34 PM.

With today's cuts, I count 31 players (being generous) fighting for 25 spots. Actually, I think it's more like 28 fighting for 25 spots.

There are only 28 guys on the 40-man roster left in camp by my count. 15 pitchers. Two catchers. Six infielders. Five outfielders.

There are 11 listed non-roster invitees still in camp. Of these, I see only Izturis, Burriss, and Olivo with a chance, and that's being generous. Add those three to the 28, you get 31.

I don't know where Prior fits in, but he's not on my list. I'm assuming he's not a candidate to begin in the major leagues.

I would eliminate Olivo and Burriss from serious contention. I would also eliminate Masset who obviously isn't ready.

That leaves just 28 guys in serious contention for 25 spots.

So IMO three guys need to be cut. One will be Donald or Izturis.

The other two will be pitchers. In contention to leave IMO are Leake, Ondrusek, Hoover, Arredondo, Parra, Simon. One or more could be moved. Or some could begin in AAA. Wonder what Simon's situation is, he's been at the WBC a long time.

So the Reds may be closer than it seems to having their team, although a few tough pitching calls to be made.

20. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (03-19-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I had to search for it, but here are the cuts Kc was mentioning.

Cincinnati Reds optioned Donald Lutz to Pensacola Blue Wahoos.
    Cincinnati Reds optioned Pedro Villarreal to Louisville Bats.
    Cincinnati Reds optioned Henry Rodriguez to Louisville Bats.
    Cincinnati Reds optioned Neftali Soto to Louisville Bats.
    Cincinnati Reds optioned Curtis Partch to Louisville Bats.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    With today's cuts, I count 31 players (being generous) fighting for 25 spots. Actually, I think it's more like 28 fighting for 25 spots.

There are only 28 guys on the 40-man roster left in camp by my count. 15 pitchers. Two catchers. Six infielders. Five outfielders.

There are 11 listed non-roster invitees still in camp. Of these, I see only Izturis, Burriss, and Olivo with a chance, and that's being generous. Add those three to the 28, you get 31.

I don't know where Prior fits in, but he's not on my list. I'm assuming he's not a candidate to begin in the major leagues.

I would eliminate Olivo and Burriss from serious contention. I would also eliminate Masset who obviously isn't ready.

That leaves just 28 guys in serious contention for 25 spots.

So IMO three guys need to be cut. One will be Donald or Izturis.

The other two will be pitchers. In contention to leave IMO are Leake, Ondrusek, Hoover, Arredondo, Parra, Simon. One or more could be moved. Or some could begin in AAA. Wonder what Simon's situation is, he's been at the WBC a long time.

So the Reds may be closer than it seems to having their team, although a few tough pitching calls to be made.
    This is an informative analysis, thank you. It wouldn't break my heart if the Reds close the book on the Arredondo Project. I think there is a lot of upside there, but his inconsistency concerns me. I have liked Hoover since the day the Reds acquired him. Options be damned, he belongs on the big league staff. (Truth be told, I'd rather see him closing than Broxton.)

Let Logan, Simon, and Parra battle for the last spot.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

One weird thing about this spring was that no one has really done anything to make the Reds face tough decisions and discount a good spring and take the "proven" performer. The relievers who may have been in contention for a job have been getting shelled virtually on a daily basis. For example, based on the spring, Villareal needs to be given his outright release or be examined by a doctor, because I've smelled his stink all the way from Arizona.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?