Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BuckeyeRedleg's Down on the Farm stock report (non-pitchers)

Re: BuckeyeRedleg's Down on the Farm stock report (non-pitchers)

Great info and i agree about some of the position rankings but you never know after people get hurt and a full season

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanWC View Post
    How do Francisco and Valaika project defensively at 3B? I realize Valaika hasnt played there but wondering if he doesnt project at SS because of a lack of range or a lack of defensive ability generally
    Kevin Goldstein of BP said eariler this year that Valaika profiles as a "solid" every day second baseman in the bigs. Said he had the energy & fundamentals, just only lacking the quickness to play SS every day. Take that for what it's worth.

Time for updates on two guys I like who are in the middle of putting themselves solidly into the prospect picture. Both at Chattanooga. Cody Strait's overall numbers still don't look that great but he's hitting the ball much better in May than April. May's line: .297/.313/.563/.876. Still needs to walk more but even as is that's a good line. Two other things about Strait: 1. A very high percentage of his hits are for extra bases, right around 50% [even in April when he was hitting poorly]; and 2. He can run, 11 attempts, 9 SB. The other's Drew Anderson, who is on a tear. For the season: .295/.352/.486/.836. May: .364/.426/.527/.954. Roughly 40 % of his hits are for extra bases too.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Time for updates on two guys I like who are in the middle of putting themselves solidly into the prospect picture. Both at Chattanooga. Cody Strait's overall numbers still don't look that great but he's hitting the ball much better in May than April. May's line: .297/.313/.563/.876. Still needs to walk more but even as is that's a good line. Two other things about Strait: 1. A very high percentage of his hits are for extra bases, right around 50% [even in April when he was hitting poorly]; and 2. He can run, 11 attempts, 9 SB. The other's Drew Anderson, who is on a tear. For the season: .295/.352/.486/.836. May: .364/.426/.527/.954. Roughly 40 % of his hits are for extra bases too.

List updated.

Drew Anderson and Justin Turner knock out Chris Dickerson and Milton Loo.

The draft next month will also do some damage to this list. 1-5 appear to be safe for a while. Anyone sitting at 6-10 could be knocked out at any time, especially after the draft.

With all the Reds high draft picks this year, I may have to push this thing out to top 15.

Good stuff buckeye. keep this up

Rosales is getting really interesting again. Year's line: .299/.401/.518/.919. More than 50% of his hits are for extra bases, and he's just short of driving in a run every five times to the plate. You can't do either of those last two things without making lots of contact and lots of hard contact. He's due, IMHO, for a move to Chattanooga at least.

What injury did Rosales have last year? It must have really set him back.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    What injury did Rosales have last year? It must have really set him back.
    He had some real lingering issues with his elbow and then several other dents in his armor throughout the season.

thorn

I think I would put Dorn and Heisey in the top 10, take cout Strait and Anderson, they are 11a and 11b to me.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    I think I would put Dorn and Heisey in the top 10, take cout Strait and Anderson, they are 11a and 11b to me.
    Good point. I have updated the list to include Dorn and Heisey with the OF's and they are both close to edging out Strait for the top 10.

Strait probably should be edged out at the moment. But I think Redzoners generally, IMHO, tend to undervalue Strait. I don't know of another player in our system with the ability to have 50% of his hits go for extra bases, steal 50 bases, and be a gold glove outfielder.

Nothing to get excited about yet, and I know he's old for his level etc., but there is certainly a slight improvement building in Brandon Szymanski lately. Let's hope it's real.

One thing to keep in mid regarding the 2B/3B/SS situation is that Brandon Phillips can play any of those three positions and has the tools to be a plus defender at all three. Also, hopefully EE will work out his throwing issues and settle in as a plus defender at the hot corner. The 2009 Reds infield could look something like:

1B - Votto
    2B - Valaika
    SS - Phillips
    3B - Encarnacion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    One thing to keep in mid regarding the 2B/3B/SS situation is that Brandon Phillips can play any of those three positions and has the tools to be a plus defender at all three. Also, hopefully EE will work out his throwing issues and settle in as a plus defender at the hot corner. The 2009 Reds infield could look something like:

1B - Votto
    2B - Valaika
    SS - Phillips
    3B - Encarnacion
    I've been saying for a while that I thought Brandon Phillips would eventually be the Reds shortstop of the future with Chris Valaika sliding in at second base in place of Phillips. Phillips has the range and arm to be a very good SS, and Valaika's lack of great range profiles him as a second baseman. That future infield looks very good IMO.

Excellent, excellent, excellent. Keep updating every month, or every other week.

I am surprised that after a year and a half under Krivsky, our catching is still so weak throughout the organization. The only way to change that is to trade from strength, trade from the Major League roster, or draft. The only strength that was there was at Low-A 2B.

We so badly need a good draft.

The REDS should also tank the season and trade away all they can from the Major League Roster that aren't part of the 2009-11 future teams.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 05-28-2007 at 04:23 PM.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?