Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Braves/Reds 7/17/07

Braves/Reds 7/17/07

Does Stanton own some compromising photographs of someone in the Reds' organization? They pitch the guy Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and he's ineffective on all three occassions. Ok I can't argue with pulling Bronson after 7 even though he's working on a shutout. i guess i won't even second guess bringing Stanton in, although 4 times in the last 5 days? But to let Stanton pitch to 7 batters? Come on, this makes no sense. I know we've got a horrible bullpen but why make things worse by this kind of managing. What am I missing here? come on Mackanin, you've been in baseball all of your life. This is just incompetence.

Anyhow, nice job Bronson. Good to see you've recovered from Narron's neglect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Braves/Reds 7/17/07

Stanton has been very effective until recently. You are correct that he should not have been in that many games recently. I myself would have put one of our young relievers in the game and let them work in non-pressure situation, or what should have been one in the 8th inning. As for Weathers, he has been very reliable all year and was due for a bad inning. I would contemplate trading both of them, but their trade value might not be very high right now.

Senor Votto

Maybe they wanted to make sure Weathers got a save?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Stanton has been very effective until recently.
    He was bad at the beginning of the year also. I can't wait until he has that next good stretch. I'll never like this move from Krivsky, regardless of how Stanton performs.
    Last edited by Orenda; 07-18-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Stanton's ERA climbed to 8.18 by May 13th, primarily because he had 2 outings within a week where he gave up 3 runs each.

However, from that low point until July 12th, he had cut his ERA by more than half, down to 3.99. During that stretch, he gave up 3 earned runs over 18 innings of work. (1.50 ERA over 2 months.) As AmarilloRed stated, Stanton was VERY effective until last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Anyhow, nice job Bronson. Good to see you've recovered from Narron's neglect.
    Arroyo blamed his poor performance on his diet and conditioning, not Narron. Arroyo made changes and it's yielded good results.
    Last edited by durl; 07-18-2007 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Stanton's ERA climbed to 8.18 by May 13th, primarily because he had 2 outings within a week where he gave up 3 runs each.

However, from that low point until July 12th, he had cut his ERA by more than half, down to 3.99. During that stretch, he gave up 3 earned runs over 18 innings of work. (1.50 ERA over 2 months.) As AmarilloRed stated, Stanton was VERY effective until last week.

Arroyo blamed his poor performance on his diet and conditioning, not Narron. Arroyo made changes and it's yielded good results.
    One could argue that Stanton was just lucky. During that 'effective' stretch his WHIP was still 1.43. Even when he was bringing his ERA down he was allowing gobs of baserunners. He, or the next reliever, was just managing to wiggle out of the situations. Sooner or later that kind of luck runs out and you are left with last night. Luckily it came in a game where the Reds had (barely) enough of a lead.

If Krivsky could dump the remaining contract on someone, he should. The man no longer has major league stuff. Unfortunately I think everyone else already knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    One could argue that Stanton was just lucky. During that 'effective' stretch his WHIP was still 1.43. Even when he was bringing his ERA down he was allowing gobs of baserunners. He, or the next reliever, was just managing to wiggle out of the situations. Sooner or later that kind of luck runs out and you are left with last night. Luckily it came in a game where the Reds had (barely) enough of a lead.

If Krivsky could dump the remaining contract on someone, he should. The man no longer has major league stuff. Unfortunately I think everyone else already knows that.
    You're exactly right...allowing all those baserunners will come back to haunt you, eventually. Over that 2 month stretch, Stanton gave up 20 hits and 7 walks in 18 innings. (He did manage 14 Ks during that same stretch.) He plays with fire but he comes away unscathed over 90% of the time. What I think is interesting is that we Reds fans want a pitcher who can keep it in the park and Stanton has done that pretty well. He's given up 3 HR all year (2 in his last 2 appearances) and only 1 has been at GABP. Now if he could just cut back on the number of baserunners allowed.

Do you think it's safe to say that he's fairly consistent? As far as runs allowed, he's had 2 bad weeks that have destroyed his ERA.

I know the "IF" game can lead to lively discussions but I'll play it anyway. "If" you take out his 3 bad outings (out of 41 total), his ERA would be around 3.34.
    Last edited by durl; 07-18-2007 at 11:37 AM.

I dont have any numbers to back this up, but I've seen it with my own eyes......he sucks. Thats my simple analysis, which is very biased. My eyes have also seen, Michael Gosling, and if I had to choose one I would pick Gosling. Granted, I might look like a fool after a month or so.

Talkin' Baseball

Stanton is pretty much the same pitcher he has been for the past few years. Like any pitcher with that high of a WHIP, he is going to have some real bad outings. However, he's been around long enough that he will get out of his own jams more times than not. With Coutlangus developing nicely, Gosling showing signs of being a possible LOOGY, and Bray/Guardado on the mend; there is no real use for Stanton on this team. If you can get someone to take his salary for next season off the books, I'd trade him for a bag of balls.
    Last edited by JLB5; 07-19-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Bring Stanton in with runners on base, and it's almost guaranteed at least one of them scores.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Yeah, the fact that he started his slump right after that 130 pitch performance was just a coincidence. Funny how his diet and conditioning didn't bother him before that outing. Arroyo was not about to throw Narron under the bus which is one of the many reasons I like him.

Turn Off Ads?