Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lock up Belisle now!

Lock up Belisle now!

What does redzone think of signing Belisle up now while he is cheap. He has pitched well and could be signed to a long term-contract. A thread has been started for Lohse, but I am the brave soul who wants to sign him after tonights complete game win.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Lock up Belisle now!

What is his current contract situation?

I am not entirely sure. We do seem to be rewarding all our starting pitchers who have sustained success on the mound. If Lohse and Belisle pitch well this year, I can see reds management trying to sign both of them as they did Arroyo and Harang after 1 succesful year from them. Someone night check to see how long we have Belisle signed for.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Here's his contract info, per Rotoworld and ESPN:

2007: $390,000, 2008-10: Arb. Eligible, 2011: Free Agent

lol no reason to lock him up

he is locked up

I think it's a little early to talk contract. Remember, the early contract got us Narron for two more years, Paul Wilson for more $$, and well, there are numerous examples. We're eating an extention now called "Frenchy".

Come August we should talk. Not now.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I guess I jumped the gun. We seem to have him signed for a number of years. Though lets see how he is doing in August. I am very impressed by Lohse and Belisle right now. I think we could have a very good starting rotation for a number of years.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I think it's a little early to talk contract. Remember, the early contract got us Narron for two more years, Paul Wilson for more $$, and well, there are numerous examples. We're eating an extention now called "Frenchy".

Come August we should talk. Not now.
    Maybe I am remembering this wrong but wasnt a part of his approving the trade to come here that we had to sign him to the extension.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    What does redzone think of signing Belisle up now while he is cheap. He has pitched well and could be signed to a long term-contract. A thread has been started for Lohse, but I am the brave soul who wants to sign him after tonights complete game win.
    Only in rare circumstances do you want to lock up a player pre-arb and when you do, you do it on a case by case, team by team basis. The Braves just did it with McCann. On a player like Belisle, you let him ride thru at least the 1st, if not all 3 arb years unless you annoint him a superstar, which no one really can do just yet. Are you a brave soul for saying that, yes, but it serves no point to lock him up now. Even if in 2 years Belisle is Cy Young material...you still couldn't go back and justify this post on today's date. Belisle has yet to prove himself....although I certainly hope he does.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe I am remembering this wrong but wasnt a part of his approving the trade to come here that we had to sign him to the extension.
    Yes. But an extention is an extention. IMHO, it's only warranted if there is a track record of more than a month or two to prove worth.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Definately not disagreeing with you WVRF, just saying that the only reason that extension was given was to attempt to improve the bullpen last year. Unfortunately Krivsky couldnt see the numbers right and tell that Cormier had been one of the luckiest hit guys in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Definately not disagreeing with you WVRF, just saying that the only reason that extension was given was to attempt to improve the bullpen last year. Unfortunately Krivsky couldnt see the numbers right and tell that Cormier had been one of the luckiest hit guys in baseball.
    Oh yeah. I know what you are saying. Trouble is, that was a panic move just like the trade was. I like to think a lesson was learned there, but if it was not, we're in big trouble.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?