Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 College Coaching Carousel

Re: 2012 College Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    True, plus there's something in the way a lot of these coaches are wired that makes them always look for the next challenge. It's why so many have made the leap to the pros. It's why a guy like Horn thinks "what I do worked at WKU; it will work at USC also."
    Example Beilein, John been successful every stop he's made. Never been anywhere more than 4-5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    BTW, there's no way Gregg Marshall is leaving Shocker State for South Carolina.
    Marshall is from South Carolina, so that may pull a few strings. From reading other teams message boards, Marshall is choice A, B, C, and D for the Gamecocks.

Shaka to Illinois has been mentioned given the ties of Illinois AD to Smart when both worked together at Akron I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Example Beilein, John been successful every stop he's made. Never been anywhere more than 4-5 years.
    Calipari is Exhibit A, B and C.

It's amazing how many guys who had mid-major success have flopped when they hit the "big time." Someone before mentioned Monson. Add Horn, Todd Lickliter, Jerry Wainright, on and on.

Would certainly give you pause if you had a really good thing going at a mid-major and got a job offer at a place like South Carolina or Nebraska.

That said, I think Illinois can be a big time program again. It has some advantages (tradition and a recruiting base) those other two places don't. And Shaka is as good a guy as any to give a shot there.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Calipari is Exhibit A, B and C.

It's amazing how many guys who had mid-major success have flopped when they hit the "big time." Someone before mentioned Monson. Add Horn, Todd Lickliter, Jerry Wainright, on and on.

Would certainly give you pause if you had a really good thing going at a mid-major and got a job offer at a place like South Carolina or Nebraska.

That said, I think Illinois can be a big time program again. It has some advantages (tradition and a recruiting base) those other two places don't. And Shaka is as good a guy as any to give a shot there.
    The more I listen to coaches, the more I think one major difference between them and the vast majority of schlubs isn't in basketball knowledge but in an overwhelming confidence and optimistic outlook. The down side to this is they are never satisfied if there is a bigger challenge to conquer.

Part of the reason Shaka Smart has been successful is that not only did he not look at VCU going to the Final Four as impossible, but he was so confident in his own ability and in his team that he was able to inspire them to believe it as well.

This leads to the peter principle of coaching, but I simply don't think high level performers are hard wired to seriously contemplate what will make them fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

While that may indeed be part of it, basketball is perhaps the most difficult game to coach properly. In baseball, there's not much you can do as a manager to change the game. Same thing in football, largely. In soccer, either your guys can play or they can't.

But in basketball, the right coach makes his team much better, IMO. The mismatches and alternating styles of play a coach can employ make it so, I think. You could theoretically go (or go against) 2-3 zone, 3-2 zone, 1-3-1 zone, 3-2 zone trap, 2-3 zone trap, man-to-man full court, full press, deny press, deny man-to-man, goal line man-to-man, deny the post, not to mention all the trick or garbage defenses like box and one or triangle and two.

You have to prepare your guys for all of it and have a system in place for all of it. You also have to recognize when to substitute, when and how much to needle the refs, when to call time-outs, et al.

I've coached football, baseball, and basketball, and the latter is definitely the most challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    While that may indeed be part of it, basketball is perhaps the most difficult game to coach properly. In baseball, there's not much you can do as a manager to change the game. Same thing in football, largely. In soccer, either your guys can play or they can't.

But in basketball, the right coach makes his team much better, IMO. The mismatches and alternating styles of play a coach can employ make it so, I think. You could theoretically go (or go against) 2-3 zone, 3-2 zone, 1-3-1 zone, 3-2 zone trap, 2-3 zone trap, man-to-man full court, full press, deny press, deny man-to-man, goal line man-to-man, deny the post, not to mention all the trick or garbage defenses like box and one or triangle and two.

You have to prepare your guys for all of it and have a system in place for all of it. You also have to recognize when to substitute, when and how much to needle the refs, when to call time-outs, et al.

I've coached football, baseball, and basketball, and the latter is definitely the most challenging.
    Oh sure, I don't mean to make it sound as if it's not challenging. But there's no specific knowledge coaches have which can't be learned. It's not as if a coach has devised a system that can't be defeated, or else everyone would be mimicking the system.
    What makes coaches successful(in all walks) is their ability to clearly communicate whatever strategy they are using and to get their players to perform that strategy.

My larger point was that it's next to impossible to ask a "hot commodity" coach to consider the chances of success, because if they had spent much time contemplating their relatively low chances of success, they'd never have gotten to the point where they were a hot commodity.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Everyone's favorite, Rick Stansbury, is allegedly out at Mississippi State.

Everyone's favorite, Rick Stansbury, is allegedly out at Mississippi State.
    Now HE will have a front row ticket if he wants to watch UK games...yes sir!

...(Quote at presser before UK game this year) Mississippi State Coach Rick Stansbury took a couple of shots at his former player Twany Beckham today. As reported by the Courier Journal, Stansbury said:

“I saw his stats the other day in SEC play. Did he make one or attempt one shot?”

This was then followed by:

“He’s seeing some pretty good basketball. He’s getting a front-row ticket every night. Yes, sir.”

Karma.....sucks!
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Shaka Smart turned down Illinois. So did Anthony Grant, allegedly. Where do the Illini turn from here?

Shaka Smart turned down Illinois. So did Anthony Grant, allegedly. Where do the Illini turn from here?
    Lorenzo Romar or Leonard Hamilton, perhaps. Well, Hamilton really wants it but he's 63 and Illinois may want to go younger than that.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I've heard Reggie Theus's name mentioned for the Illini job. The next coach needs to recruit the Chicago area more successfully than Weber, or it will not matter who the next hire is.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I'm surprised Shaka turned down Illinois, I would have thought they'd have everything he'd want. good for VCU.

Would Brad Stevens take the gig, knowing that IU isn't going to open up anytime soon now that they've turned the corner.

Wichita State's head coach?

I've seen rumbling of Brian Gregory, but that doesn't make much sense

Chris Mooney? Scott Drew? Steve Alford?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm surprised Shaka turned down Illinois, I would have thought they'd have everything he'd want. good for VCU.

Would Brad Stevens take the gig, knowing that IU isn't going to open up anytime soon now that they've turned the corner.

I've seen rumbling of Brian Gregory, but that doesn't make much sense

Chris Mooney? Scott Drew? Steve Alford?
    The article I read said they are really after a minority coach. They've never had a minority as men's basketball or football head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I heard he is staying put.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turns out Cuonzo Martin might want the Illinois job. That would be a good hire for them.

And it would please me greatly to have him gone from the SEC. He knows what he's doing.

Turn Off Ads?