Thread: Centerfield 2013

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sorry

Pocket post
    Is that you, Peter Gammons?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Centerfield 2013

With Ludwick allegedly signed, CF seems to be the last spot to settle.

Options include a big name like Ellsbury, Fowler, and Bourn.

Or a lesser name/platoon partner like DeJesus, Crisp, and de Aza.

2 Questions

1. What would you like to see Walt do?
    2. What do you think he will do?
    Go BLUE!!!

dp
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 12-07-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

2 Questions

1. What would you like to see Walt do?
    2. What do you think he will do?
    1. I would rather get Gerardo Parra.
    2. I still think it will be Alejandro De Aza to platoon with Drew Stubbs in centerfield. He is not a bad option, but nothing to get excited about.

The asking price for Fowler was reportedly Minor and either Teheran or Delgado.

That is akin to Leake and Cingrani. Unless Pomeranz is coming back also, I'd pass.
    Considering that's basically what the Twins got for Revere, a guy with a career .278/.319/.323 line in 1000+ PA, you can't blame them.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I have a man-crush on De Aza, mostly because he was awesome for my Strat team.
    Code:
    NAME              BAVG  GM  AB   R   H 2B 3B HR RBI  BB  SO HB SH DP  SB CS  E
    A.De Aza          .321 124 467  86 150 32 10 12  65  53 113  3  0  4  39  9  5

According to MLBTR, it seems like Fowler is a lot more likely than Bourn, who Walt said "would have to drop his asking price a lot."

Assuming the cost in talent would be substantially less, I'd prefer Ellsbury on a one-year deal to Fowler, who is signed for 2-3 years and we'd have a logjam if/when Hamilton is ready.

That said, I won't be upset at all if we can get Fowler without giving up Bailey or Stephenson.
    Go BLUE!!!

According to MLBTR, it seems like Fowler is a lot more likely than Bourn, who Walt said "would have to drop his asking price a lot."

Assuming the cost in talent would be substantially less, I'd prefer Ellsbury on a one-year deal to Fowler, who is signed for 2-3 years and we'd have a logjam if/when Hamilton is ready.

That said, I won't be upset at all if we can get Fowler without giving up Bailey or Stephenson.
    Yeah, reading Walt's quotes on the matter, all he's said about Fowler is "I don't think Colorado wants to move him." Reading between the lines, I see that to say "I've made some calls and I'm still trying to get him, but they are driving a hard bargain. I'm going to try to talk them down, but not sure I can do it."
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah, reading Walt's quotes on the matter, all he's said about Fowler is "I don't think Colorado wants to move him." Reading between the lines, I see that to say "I've made some calls and I'm still trying to get him, but they are driving a hard bargain. I'm going to try to talk them down, but not sure I can do it."
    That's probably a fair translation. I read it as "They say they're willing to trade him and they really need to trade him, but they're having a group hallucination when it comes to his market value."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Walt mentioned having a trade in place that fell though late. The timing says it could have been Ellsbury, or the recent rumors suggest perhaps Fowler.

keeping Leake gives us depth at SP. this is good in general but for the 2013 team there is an additional hitch. I don't see how Chapman pitches the entire year (and hopefully postseason) in the rotation. It seems like he needs to start or finish the year in the pen to put some sort of innings limit on him. So I'd like to keep Leake around. This means getting an everyday CF for Corcino (or Cingrani) plus Stubbs or keeping Stubbs around & getting a platoon partner via trading spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Walt mentioned having a trade in place that fell though late. The timing says it could have been Ellsbury, or the recent rumors suggest perhaps Fowler.
    If they pulled out of a Fowler deal at the last minute it would make sense that Walt would then say "I don't think they want to move him." Kind of like he got left at the altar or something, eh? I wonder if his voice cracked when he said it.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

You can have depth at SP while trading Leake. Our old pal Dustin Moseley could be signed and not be a huge drop-off from what Leake would provide.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

On a related point - why would Walt favor Ben Revere over a Fowler or a De Aza? From what I can tell, Revere is fast and a good OF, but he isn't really an on-base machine. Isn't that an essential part of what they are looking for in CF, someone to get on base ahead of the middle of the lineup? Not to mention he has ZERO power. Revere has the look of a younger Juan Pierre to me.

The Reds also have Lecure and Redmond for SP depth on top of Cingrani and Corcino climbing the ladder. I'd like them to add another AAA starter regardless of whether they trade Leake or Bailey, but it's not like the team doesn't have options if one of those two is dealt.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?