Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Centerfield 2013

Re: Centerfield 2013

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Reds also have Lecure and Redmond for SP depth on top of Cingrani and Corcino climbing the ladder. I'd like them to add another AAA starter regardless of whether they trade Leake or Bailey, but it's not like the team doesn't have options if one of those two is dealt.
    True dat. Combined with Gregorious/Cozart and Stubbs/Heisey they've got some real depth at positions that other teams need. I'll be disappointed if Walt can't do something useful with what he's got.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm warming up to either Parra or De Aza, but wouldn't deal too much for them (unless there's a pitcher coming back in Parra's case).

I'm not worried about what's happening with Billy. Maybe Billy slips some this year and isn't ready. Maybe Ludwick reverts and Fowler or Hamilton can play LF. Maybe SlidinBilly sizzles and they flip Fowler for a 3B or something else useful. Never worry about having too much talent - that's why baseball invented trades and God invented injuries.

The trade that fell through was for Ben Revere. I think dougdirt posted that from Redsfest on Twitter.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The trade that fell through was for Ben Revere. I think dougdirt posted that from Redsfest on Twitter.
    I'm glad that fell through. Revere strikes me as an all-around less exciting version of Billy Hamilton. What were we offering?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm glad that fell through. Revere strikes me as an all-around less exciting version of Billy Hamilton. What were we offering?
    My suspicion is the Reds did not go very hard after Revere. They probably had him listed as a potential option and got a little giddy when the Phillies took themselves out of the CF market by trading for Revere.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I've been meaning to put something forward about Drew Stubbs. I haven't read the whole thread, but I had planned on posited that perhaps his off-season work might actually pay off. I know the generally rules feels as if any players place is set in stone, other than the occasional "outlier" and hence, what a player has become is something he (and we, as a consequence) are stuck with. I understand in the whole universe of baseball statistics, this type of trend generally players out in such a manner.

That said, I found two things interesting coming out of Redsfest. I had wondered about how things were going with Stubbs and the Reds instructor. Fay had a blurb in Sunday's paper:

Drew Stubbs knows that many of his batting statistics have dropped steadily over the past three years, so the Reds center fielder is making adjustments.

Stubbs is experimenting with a shorter stride. Stubbs said he has been working with Reds minor league hitting coordinator Ronnie Ortegon at Stubbs’ offseason home in Texas, where Ortegon also lives.

“They talked a lot in the postseason about Austin Jackson of the Tigers, going from more of a leg kick to a toe tap,” Stubbs said Friday. “We’ve been tinkering with that a little bit. Obviously the longer your foot’s in the air, the more room for error you have.”

Now, of course, that doesn't answer much, but it shows at the least that some issues have been identified. The million dollar question is, can it make a difference.

The other tidbit came from Sam LeCure in answering a kid's question about who will bat lead-off this season. While Votto & Frazier essentially said Phillips (or Phillips & Cozart), LeCure rather emphatically said to not dismiss his fellow Texas alum, Drew Stubbs. Now I understand Sam's a bit of a rah-rah team guy, but he seemed intent on making that point.

Those of you who know me from my jottings here on RZ know I tend towards the sunshine & light, Pollyannish side, but I've never agreed completely with the belief that it's not possible for a player to improve their game. Yes, that's very difficult to do at the top level. And I fully agree, at the very least, the club must getting an able partner to match with Stubbs that can maximize what his history has shown he can do. But I, for one, am interested in seeing what Stubbs does in Spring Training. I know this thread pre-supposes that Stubbs is not the answer (and I completely understand why that is), but still I'm pulling for him and hope he shows he's learned some things over the off-season.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 12-10-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Just like it was time to give up on Jose Bautista during 2009, it's time to give up on Drew Stubbs during 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Just like it was time to give up on Jose Bautista during 2009, it's time to give up on Drew Stubbs during 2012.
    Yep, Drew Stubbs is on the cusp of replicating the freakiest, most unlikely superstar turn of modern baseball history.

That's why I'm in favor of getting a guy at about the level of a Roger Bernadina... It sends just the right message to Stubbs: "We have to do better than we did last year, but if you turn out to be the person who makes us better, there's no huge roadblock in your way that we can't bench".
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Yep, Drew Stubbs is on the cusp of replicating the freakiest, most unlikely superstar turn of modern baseball history.
    I know you are being sarcastic, but somehow the things that Dusty and the coaches say lately make me actually think they believe this statement.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

He's always going to be a k-prone, low BA player. I think the best you can hope for is that he finds his powerstroke and maybe adds some walks.

Even then he's still probably a liability against righties.

No one could possibly root more for Stubbs but it is simply a fact that permanent major tirnarounds in mid career are rare. Ill be happy with a modest improvement in obp that lets his baserunning add value and a cheap effective platoon partner for at least some ABs the other way. Maybe a shortened stride will equal a split second more recognition time and increase his contact rate a bit? Counting on thŕt is foolish though. Hope Walt lands a DeJesus/Parra etc partner. THEN I'll be willing to lay some hope on Drew making real strides with a hedged bet in the hip pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I know you are being sarcastic, but somehow the things that Dusty and the coaches say lately make me actually think they believe this statement.
    Frankly, I want players and coaches believing it.

Read the Brian Downing section in Bill James's last Historical Abstract. Inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I chalk that up to things you say about a player until you find someone to replace him.

I chalk that up to things you say about a player until you find someone to replace him.
    Very possible. But they also seem pretty darn dedicated to giving him every opportunity to "play his way out" of whatever funk he happens to be in. Those two things combined lead me to believe that they actually think he can turn the corner -- and that they aren't just paying lip service to the idea.

Turn Off Ads?