Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take to get Justin Upton?

Re: What would it take to get Justin Upton?

The more I read about the Upton situation, the more I believe he could be had for Bailey and Cozart/Gregorius + a minor leaguer. If the Reds can convince Arizona to take Leake instead of Bailey, this would be an amazing move.

Alternatively and much less realistically, if the Reds could somehow get Bauer included in the deal, I'd do Bailey, either SS, one of Stubbs/Heisey and any three prospects not named Hamilton or Stephenson.
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-09-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I could see a Bailey/ Cozart/ Stubbs for Upton/ Gerardo Parra deal working out for both teams. But I'd sure prefer to see Leake substituted for Bailey.
    Whether it's Bailey or Leake, I'd be able to make instant peace with that deal. The teams match up really well in terms of making a trade. Got a feeling both could emerge quite happy with their haul.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Whether it's Bailey or Leake, I'd be able to make instant peace with that deal. The teams match up really well in terms of making a trade. Got a feeling both could emerge quite happy with their haul.
    Agreed, although I'd prefer Bauer to Parra in that deal. Can't really see the Dbacks trading Upton and Parra, let alone in the same deal.

Bailey/Leake, Cozart, Stubbs, and a prospect or two for Upton and Bauer? YES! (Marv Albert voice)
    Go BLUE!!!

Justin Upton would just slot so well in between Votto and Bruce. They would provide the protection he needs and really wasn't getting in Arizona, no disrespect to Goldschmidt and Kubel who had good years in their own right.

Down the stretch Bailey was just phenomenal. I just think that if you can maximize the sell high, it is time to do it. This isn't about giving up on him. It is about taking a volatile, sometimes injury prone, pitcher who is about to get expensive, and getting a potential impact bat. This assumes that a Chapman goes to the rotation, and that you are comfortable with Leake.

Bailey/Leake, Didi/Cozart, Hrod, and Corcino/Cingrani for Upton and Bauer. Bryan Price knows how to work with wacky guys like Bauer.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed, although I'd prefer Bauer to Parra in that deal. Can't really see the Dbacks trading Upton and Parra, let alone in the same deal.

Bailey/Leake, Cozart, Stubbs, and a prospect or two for Upton and Bauer? YES! (Marv Albert voice)
    I get the feeling the DBacks view Parra as a 4th OF. And that might be a correct assessment, but the Reds probably want a 4th OF type to hold down CF until Hamilton is ready (either that or a CF who can shift to LF). With Eaton, Wheeler and Pollock in the queue and Kubel in the majors, I wouldn't be shocked if Arizona was willing to move Parra too, especially if Stubbs' defense, speed and HR threat was coming back.

I suspect Bauer's as untouchable as Stephenson.

Mike Newman addressed the Upton situation in a Fangraphs prospect chat today:

Comment From Tom :
    Is DiDi a good enough SS prospect to be the centerpiece of a Justin Upton deal?

Mike Newman:
    I'm a DiDi fan, but he's not enough. Off the top of my head, I don't think the Reds have the horses to make a deal like this happen unless Upton's value has truly dropped that much within the industry. I have spoken with contacts who do not think Upton is a franchise player, but more of a 2nd or 3rd guy on a championship ball club.
    A 2nd or 3rd guy on a championship team sounds like exactly what Upton could be on the Reds (behind Votto/Bruce). It's disappointing to hear he may be out of reach for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    Mike Newman addressed the Upton situation in a Fangraphs prospect chat today:

A 2nd or 3rd guy on a championship team sounds like exactly what Upton could be on the Reds (behind Votto/Bruce). It's disappointing to hear he may be out of reach for the Reds.
    I agree that DiDi wouldn't be enough, but I can't imagine Bailey isn't enough of a "horse" to headline a deal.
    Go BLUE!!!

Off the top of my head, I don't think the Reds have the horses to make a deal like this happen unless Upton's value has truly dropped that much within the industry.
    Newman's wrong about this -- the Reds definitely do have the horses to deal for Upton. Whether they want to sacrifice all that AZ would want is another matter.

I suspect Bauer's as untouchable as Stephenson.
    Actually according to a lot of published reports, Bauer is available. He really had an odd falling out with the Arizona brass towards the end of last year.
    Go BLUE!!!

Actually according to a lot of published reports, Bauer is available. He really had an odd falling out with the Arizona brass towards the end of last year.
    My inclination on that is to treat it like "Tom and Giselle are having marital problems." Given what Arizona has invested in Bauer, I'm highly skeptical anything short of Code Red Milotude would cause the organization to part with him.

Would subbing Cozart over DiDi mean we could sub Leake for Bailey? Or is it the other way around?

I get the feeling the DBacks view Parra as a 4th OF. And that might be a correct assessment, but the Reds probably want a 4th OF type to hold down CF until Hamilton is ready (either that or a CF who can shift to LF).
    I'm thinking Dave Martinez-ey. But we could use a Dave Martinez.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yeah, I recall hearing things that were similar to what we heard here about Homer Bailey.... regardless of how true they were or not. That he didn't really want to listen to his coaches and that he knew the best way to get hitters out.

The fangraphs chat also addressed Trevor Bauer:

Comment From Johnsy
    Was Bauer reported to have character issues in the minors?

Marc Hulet:
    I've never heard of anything specific... Scouts, from my general feeling in speaking with them, don't tend to get too worried if a guy has "questions about his makeup" because we're talking about such young kids (with rare exceptions). On the other hand, they get pretty excited about plus make-up because it's pretty rare.

Mike Newman:
    I do wonder if the sentiment on Bauer is related to some of the statements he has made on Twitter. To my understanding, the DBacks have mostly left him alone and allowed him to continue his routine. I said this after seeing him and will reiterate, he was working up in the zone with a flat baseball way too much against Double-A hitters. I'd feel more comfortable if he worked more on pounding the lower half.
    Sounds like there's something to the rumors of a conflict with management, but perhaps not enough to make Arizona give up on him (yet).

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm not a big fan of Upton's, but I think he's a pretty good target. Especially when you consider he's not a one year rental like some (signed through 2015 IIRC).

But, and this is a big "but", I do NOT deal one of the starting pitchers. Period. Whether you move Aroldis to the rotation or not, I keep all 5 of the starters from last year without a doubt. If the D-Backs are wanting a starting pitcher in the deal, then deal one of the highly touted kids (Corcino/Cingrani).

If Chapman makes the transition smoothly, simply move Leake to Louisville as insurance and further seasoning for a highly touted kid in his own right.

It just seems to me that people are awfully fast to want to trade away starting pitching here to add a big bopper. It's like we've forgotten what it was like to have hitting and no pitching. The strength of this team is pitching and defense. Don't give away that advantage so easily. Not when you've got kids in the minors who are blocked by starters who are viewed as very valuable by other teams. Follow the mold of the Latos trade. Deal excellent prospects who are blocked on the parent club.

Turn Off Ads?