Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Mesoraco

Re: Mesoraco

Not sure why the Reds catching situation is a problem for some. Mesoraco is young with a high ceiling and trying to break in. Until he does, Hanigan is one of the best defensive catchers in the game who gets a lot out of the staff. I don't see a need to change the situation until Mesoraco siezes the job. Hanigan has already shown on multiple occassions that he suffers a drop off on both offense and defense if he plays too much (reference previous years when Ramon was hurting or playing 1B when Votto was out for an extended period after his father's death). OTOH, there isn't really a reason to hand Mes the job until he takes it. Some guys take a while to become the player they eventually do. Tony Perez wasn't a regular for his first couple of years. Eric Davis took a while to take over full time. Barry Larkin had an OPS+ of 76 as a 23 year old.

Hanigan can't play 140 games per year and Mesoraco gets plenty of playing time to take the job as his tandem partner. The situation is nearly perfect given who these guys are and where they are on their career paths. Mesoraco just needs to step up.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-09-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Hanigan is 32 and has old player offensive skills. No interest in purely relying on him going forward.
    Isn't "old player skills" supposed to include power? Hanigan has very little of it. There are times when Hanigan completely squares up the ball, hits it on the sweet spot of the bat ... and the left fielder has to back up a couple steps to catch it. Dude just has very little natural power.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Isn't "old player skills" supposed to include power? Hanigan has very little of it. There are times when Hanigan completely squares up the ball, hits it on the sweet spot of the bat ... and the left fielder has to back up a couple steps to catch it. Dude just has very little natural power.
    What's the theory of old player skills? Seems to me if any skill was going to age well it would be putting the bat on the ball, which is about all Hanigan can do.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    there isn't really a reason to hand Mes the job until he takes it. Some guys take a while to become the player they eventually do. Tony Perez wasn't a regular for his first couple of years. Eric Davis took a while to take over full time. Barry Larkin had an OPS+ of 76 as a 23 year old.
    I couldn't agree more.

I feel the same way about Billy Hamilton. Let those guys ply their craft in the minors until they have nothing left to learn there and then stick 'em on the MLB bench until they force their way into the lineup. If they haven't forced their way into the lineup by the time they enter their arbitration years and start getting expensive, it's probably time to cut bait.

Mesoraco has nothing left to prove in the minors. It's time for him to earn his money as a part-timer and be ready to make his case for the starting gig next time Hanigan gets dinged up or struggles at the plate. Hamilton could probably use another year or year-and-a-half in the minors before he is in the same situation.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 12-09-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    It doesn't have to include power. He's a guy that is getting by with having adequate bat speed to pair with his strong eye and patience. The moment his bat speed takes a hit, the patient approach isn't going to get him very far as pitchers can challenge him more.

Like a lot of catchers, his offense could go to zero in a blink of an eye, earlier than I would expect if he played a less demanding position. Considering he's already getting the most out of his approach, and doesn't have much athletic skills to go by, I don't see him as a long term answer to the catching position.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Reds sign a backup catcher cheap, and put Mez at Louisville for reps.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not what I was told by several difference sources.
    Thanks, that's good to know the game calling wasn't the problem. (Sincere thanks, I appreciate what you can tell us.. ).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Been down this road before on this topic. It isn't something I am willing to give up. And that is my last post about why I am not giving up what it was.
    Then why dangle anything out there? Why post anything about it, if you aren't willing to expound?
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 12-10-2012 at 11:51 AM.

I think we see much the same role for Mez in 2013. Perhaps even reduced if Chapman wants Hannigan. OTOH, I can see where Hannigan is given Chapman and Arroyo while the stable pitchers like Cueto, Latos and Bailey start learning to work really well with Mez.

2 things happen in 2014, Arroyo's a FA and Hanigan is up for arb one last time. 2013 is an awfully important year to bridge to Mez if that's what will be long term.

Controlling Hannigan in 2014 is a good enough reason to hold on to Mez this year to see if he can take off. Then we're looking at trades for Hannigan instead, I'd guess. He's proven he's at least a 50/50 platoon guy and probably a waste on the bench as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Then why dangle anything out there? Why post anything about it, if you aren't willing to expound?
    Because some information is better than no information.

Sure, I'd like to know what the issue was, but at least Doug's information tells us what it wasn't. That's more than we knew without his nugget of info.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Because some information is better than no information.

Sure, I'd like to know what the issue was, but at least Doug's information tells us what it wasn't. That's more than we knew without his nugget of info.
    Exactly. I appreciate knowing whatever I can about "inside" matters. Thanks, Doug.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

doug, are you intsinuating that someone in the Cincinnati clubhouse is treating Mesoraco unfairly or that Red management thinks someone in the clubhouse is treating him so?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Exactly. I appreciate knowing whatever I can about "inside" matters. Thanks, Doug.
    The problem, IMO, is taking it as gospel.

Sometimes, opinions come out as facts.

Sometimes, sources are purposely leaking information as propaganda.

Sometimes, inside sources aren't really as inside as they seem to think.

And, sadly, sometimes, inside sources are totally fabricated.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    doug, are you intsinuating that someone in the Cincinnati clubhouse is treating Mesoraco unfairly or that Red management thinks someone in the clubhouse is treating him so?
    No, I am not saying that. I have an opinion on it all, but I can't really get into it without going into what the reasoning was, which I really shouldn't. I will say this though, the reason shouldn't have any ramifications moving forward. That isn't to say it won't, but that it shouldn't.

Turn Off Ads?