Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You are the GM... Left Field

Re: You are the GM... Left Field

I think Heisey is ready but I like Sappelt in LF also just because I believe he is a solid leadoff option which again is a place where we suffered this season until Brandon started playing there. I just am not a big Alonso fan right now, I know he hit well but I am not ready to believe that can continue, seemed to me Dusty did a shrewd job of playing him against guys he could be successful against. Maybe he can hit at the major league level though but his fielding is clearly an issue and even if he improves I don't ever expect him to do it well enough not to be a liability out there.

How about Stubbs to KC for Gordon, KC needs that kind of athleticism in CF badly I know they have Cain but I believe even with the K's Stubbs has more offensive ability. You let Sappelt play CF, Gordon in LF, Bruce in RF and Heisey roams. Heck we might be able to expand such a deal to include Escobar and Soaria. Maybe even include a team like Tampa (Upton) or the White Sox (Quentin) etc.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

How about Stubbs to KC for Gordon, KC needs that kind of athleticism in CF badly I know they have Cain but I believe even with the K's Stubbs has more offensive ability.
    KC wants pitching, and they need it badly. You want Gordon, you're coughing up Bailey, and likely more.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    KC wants pitching, and they need it badly. You want Gordon, you're coughing up Bailey, and likely more.
    3 way deal with Tampa including Upton (to KC with Volquez or Wood) and Shields (to us w/Gordon) with Alonso, Grandal, Boxberger going to Tampa. Something along those lines sounds doable. It'd be nice if we could offload Arroyo to KC but I suspect that is a longshot but he would do better in that Stadium than GABP.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'd do Bailey and Alonso for Gordon. But nothing more. Otherwise as GM, I just stick Alonso in LF.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Andruw Jones? He would come cheap.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Bailey and Stubbs for Gordon is an interesting deal for sure.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Andruw Jones? He would come cheap.
    He's a platoon guy at this point.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Bailey and Stubbs for Gordon is an interesting deal for sure.
    Looks like overpaying a ton IMO. A lightning footed center fielder with some excellent pop and a pitcher with TOR stuff who's still very young for a guy who's only one season removed from being nearly declared a bust.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He's a platoon guy at this point.
    OK, then. Him and Francisco in LF. Francisco can also back up Rolen. Between backing up Rolen and platooning with Jones, he could get 500 PA's.

Heisey in CF. Trade Stubbs. That or send him to AAA and teach him to choke up and smack the ball around.

No Alonso in LF please. Either trade him or trade Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    3 way deal with Tampa including Upton (to KC with Volquez or Wood) and Shields (to us w/Gordon) with Alonso, Grandal, Boxberger going to Tampa. Something along those lines sounds doable. It'd be nice if we could offload Arroyo to KC but I suspect that is a longshot but he would do better in that Stadium than GABP.
    sign me up

Watching this World Series reminds me that we need another reliable bat. Not only that, but we need less K's. Who has the least K's in baseball this year?

St. Louis

and

Texas

Kind of an anomoly, and every year fans like me chase the flavor of the month in terms of what won the championship (last year it was SF's pitching staff), but I think there is some merit to at least being in the top 10 in fewest K's. Especially if your team already has some SLG% to build with.

To that end, LF, I want players that can keep their K's in line with their walks, etc. I know I've said defensively I hate to down grade to the level of Alonso, but he's a strong option right now. Likewise with Sappelt. Both of their track records will tell us they will make a lot of contact and draw enough walks to stay at or above a .350 OBP.

No more Stubbs. Trade him. I know that's CF, but it relates because I think Sappelt should get the CF job.

LF: Alonso and Heisey as 4th outfielder, LIDR
    CF: Sappelt and Heisey
    RF: Bruce

Now you have 3 starting OFers that can get on base. LF and CF go from .310 and .324 OBP to over .350, with a likely .425 slg% combined.

I think Stubbs is holding this lineup back offensively and you can get better high K/high slg% from Francisco who will be helping out 3b/PH/LF.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Yoenis Cespedes?
    Could he be the answer for LF. I have not seen whether the Reds were at his showcase or not. He will be expensive but I wonder if he and Chapman were friendly?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=15469
    The video concerns Yeonis Cespedes, a 26-year-old outfielder who is currently in the Dominican looking to sign with a big league team. His resume from Cuba is significant as he hit .333 during the 2010-11 campaign while joining Jose Abreu in establishing a new league record with 33 home runs. He's a tremendous talent—arguably the best all-around player to come out of Cuba in a generation. He's a legitimate centerfielder with plus power and speed and is in his prime. Much like Aroldis Chapman was the best pitcher from the island, Cespedes is the best position player, and Mercedes will be expecting (and likely getting) a Chapman-like deal in the neighborhood of $30 million.
    See also:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...ee-agency.html

and
    http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...spedes/7925314
    Cespedes, said to be 26, held an open workout last Friday in the Dominican Republic with scouts from numerous clubs in attendance.
    A Marlins contingent, led by owner Jeffrey Loria, will visit him later this week in the Dominican, according to major-league sources.
    Other teams, including the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers and Nationals, also had a significant presence at Cespedes’ workout, sources say.
    Last edited by klw; 11-07-2011 at 03:29 PM.

I came here to mention Cespedes too.

I love the idea of Cespedes, but it sounds like the bidding could get astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I love the idea of Cespedes, but it sounds like the bidding could get astronomical.
    This.

And I'd probably break the bank to sign him, as I'm a sucker for Cubans with talent. (Okay, I'm pretty much a sucker for talent, but Cuban just makes it cool.)

Turn Off Ads?