Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Brought Them Here?

Re: Who Brought Them Here?

[QUOTE=M2;1509557]Excellent post. GM's ask a few questions and give the overall strategy their blessing, but that's about it when it comes to the draft. The rest is delegated.[QUOTE]
    So who makes the draft picks? Who decides to approve the trades? Who OKs the signing bonuses?
    Who makes the final decisions? I'm under the impression that the GM is the person responsible for all of these things.
    If you know otherwise, by all means tell us how the Reds organization does it. I'm curious to know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    O'Brien had the advantage of a #7 pick (Bailey) and having the #12 pick (Bruce) in one of the most talent heavy first rounds in decades. Also, GM's probably aren't involved as we might think in the amateur drafts. I know for sure Krivsky had a distant approach to the 2006 draft as he said so himself. He (they) should be held accountable though for the scouts that help make the draft day decisions.
    Krivsky had a #8 pick in '06 (where they dropped the ball) and had the #15 pick in '07. Not much of a difference between '04-'05 and '06-'07 except that Krivsky had a nice load of picks near the top of the draft in '07.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Krivsky had a #8 pick in '06 (where they dropped the ball) and had the #15 pick in '07. Not much of a difference between '04-'05 and '06-'07 except that Krivsky had a nice load of picks near the top of the draft in '07.
    The 2005 draft talent pool was enormous, point being it would've been hard to make a BAD pick.

Homer was the high school player of the year, threw 95+ with a sold frame and good mechanics. O'Brien didn't exactly put his neck on the line by picking him. What would Dan'O had done if the Brewers took Bailey instead of Rogers?

I really don't see the point in comparing the GM's anyway. Krivsky is here and Dan'O is in his office with all of his comforting binders. I could argue that had O'Brien not signed Eric Milton, they wouldn't have even been in that position to take Jay Bruce.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The 2005 draft talent pool was enormous, point being it would've been hard to make a BAD pick.

Homer was the high school player of the year, threw 95+ with a sold frame and good mechanics. O'Brien didn't exactly put his neck on the line by picking him. What would Dan'O had done if the Brewers took Bailey instead of Rogers?

I really don't see the point in comparing the GM's anyway. Krivsky is here and Dan'O is in his office with all of his comforting binders. I could argue that had O'Brien not signed Eric Milton, they wouldn't have even been in that position to take Jay Bruce.
    Dano had nothing to do with Eric Milton. He wanted no part of it. That was all Uncle Carl trying to grasp onto a failure of returning season ticket holders.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dano had nothing to do with Eric Milton. He wanted no part of it. That was all Uncle Carl trying to grasp onto a failure of returning season ticket holders.
    I think the earlier poster meant that Milton made the Reds worse, thereby giving them a high draft pick; had we finished better, we wouldn't have had the chance to select Bruce.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Thats a good list, although one suggestion might be to add the players/prospects who have left or been brought in through deals: Jeff Stevens, Calvin Medlock, David Shafer, Russel Haltiwanger, Javon Moran, Brandon Roberts, Brendan Harris, Robert Manuel, Brandon Phillips, Cody Ross etc. I think that allows you to look back in a couple years and make a more accurate comparision of the GM's talent evaluation skills.
    Last edited by Orenda; 12-07-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Right...

"But, in truth, I couldn't envision that the ultimate conclusion to our offseason plan would culminate today with the addition of a legitimate upper-tier Major League starting pitcher like Eric Milton."
    Link

Was it Dan O that brought us Chris Gruler?

Quote Originally Posted by cjtenn28 View Post
    Was it Dan O that brought us Chris Gruler?
    No, that was a Jim Bowden pick.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Right...

"But, in truth, I couldn't envision that the ultimate conclusion to our offseason plan would culminate today with the addition of a legitimate upper-tier Major League starting pitcher like Eric Milton."
    Link
    What was he going to say? I heard about this before Milton even threw an inning as a Red, so it wasn't some type of back tracking after Milton stunk up the joint.

I think it's worth remembering that there was a lot of frenzy that year to find a free agent starter that would make a big difference--when there weren't any available to speak of. The Milton decision is the kind of decision an organization makes when it convinces itself that it has to do something right now. Acting from self-induced weakness, it overpays, and the consequences usually are not very pretty. It can happen in a free agent signing or a trade. I would describe 99% of the trades I've heard being bandied about on these boards as ones where the Reds would be overpaying badly. I just hope it doesn't happen again. I'd love to look on Redszone and see that we did something really dull like sign Tomko or Lieber because that might mean we'll go on to do something a whole lot worse like trade Bruce, Bailey, Cueto, Votto, or Hamilton (I'd even like to put EE on that list but will not).

mistake: meant to say signing Lieber or Tomko would mean we won't go on to do something worse.

WOW!!! we actually had a guy with the name of Bastardo??!! God the missed opportunities running through my brain.....This could raise heckling to an entirely new level :

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    WOW!!! we actually had a guy with the name of Bastardo??!! God the missed opportunities running through my brain.....This could raise heckling to an entirely new level :
    There was a Jose Bastardo who played in the Giants' minor league system a few years ago, too.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    No, that was a John Allen pick.
    fixed that for ya.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?