Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Monday 6/8/09 Minor league Updates

Re: Monday 6/8/09 Minor league Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Bit of a stretch isn't it, Heisey to Milton Bradley? I mean when Heisey catches up to him in ejections or is at least in the neighborhood might be a better time to compare the 2.
    I brought up Bradley because he's someone everyone loves to hate, whereas Heisey is someone everyone loves to love. The point is how they're treated differently--not similarly. Just imagine the things people would be saying if Milton Bradley threw a glove in the direction of the umpires. It would be all over ESPN, and no one would shut up about what a horrible individual Bradley is. Now imagine if it were Homer Bailey. There would be a lot more people attacking him than defending him just based on what they think they know about the guy. I'm not saying Heisey is anywhere near as bad of a teammate as Bradley--heck, if I were to guess, I'd say he's probably one of the best teammates in all of baseball--but there's a double standard with Heisey because he's a scrappy underdog, and that's not fair to him nor anyone else imo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I brought up Bradley because he's someone everyone loves to hate, whereas Heisey is someone everyone loves to love. The point is how they're treated differently--not similarly. Just imagine the things people would be saying if Milton Bradley threw a glove in the direction of the umpires. It would be all over ESPN, and no one would shut up about what a horrible individual Bradley is. Now imagine if it were Homer Bailey. There would be a lot more people attacking him than defending him just based on what they think they know about the guy. I'm not saying Heisey is anywhere near as bad of a teammate as Bradley--heck, if I were to guess, I'd say he's probably one of the best teammates in all of baseball--but there's a double standard with Heisey because he's a scrappy underdog, and that's not fair to him nor anyone else imo.
    Chris Heisey was just another marginal minor league prospect on this board until very recently. To play him up as some kind of board favorite is wild exaggeration. Are people growing excited about him? Sure -- dominating the Southern League while playing a good defensive CF and running the bases well merits a spike in attention, don't you think?

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    They're treated differently for a very good reason. Milton Bradley's temper has a problem for a long time. His history demonstrates that he's a little bit off-kilter at least and a hot head at most.

Milton Bradley has earned the microscope. Chris Heisey has not. There's no comparison here.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis View Post
    They're treated differently for a very good reason. Milton Bradley's temper has a problem for a long time. His history demonstrates that he's a little bit off-kilter at least and a hot head at most.

Milton Bradley has earned the microscope. Chris Heisey has not. There's no comparison here.
    I agree with you regarding Bradley, but I never compared Heisey to Bradley. I compared how people would react to what Heisey did if Bradley had done it. Chalk it up to a bad example, if you'd like.

If someone's throwing his equipment on the field toward umpires--it doesn't matter who did it--it's bad sportsmanship and warrants punishment. But if Heisey does it, the board calls it 'competitiveness' or 'being fiery', and I don't think that's fair. If Homer Bailey had done it (who has never received a suspension), the reaction from the board would have been very different despite the evidence that Bailey is just as competitive as Heisey, if not more so.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I agree with you regarding Bradley, but I never compared Heisey to Bradley. I compared how people would react to what Heisey did if Bradley had done it. Chalk it up to a bad example, if you'd like.

If someone's throwing his equipment on the field toward umpires--it doesn't matter who did it--it's bad sportsmanship and warrants punishment. But if Heisey does it, the board calls it 'competitiveness' or 'being fiery', and I don't think that's fair. If Homer Bailey had done it (who has never received a suspension), the reaction from the board would have been very different despite the evidence that Bailey is just as competitive as Heisey, if not more so.
    Why Bailey? Why no Logan Parker, why not Justin Tordi, how about Yen Wen Kuo? I mean Bailey has a prickly reputation so inevitably yeah he'd have one more strike against him. Anyone who hasn't like say Jordan Widemann you would chalk it up if it is isolated incident to just that. Heisey has a good reputation for a reason and part of the game is arguing your point. That said throwing a glove isn't acceptable but I'm sure everyone believes he will never do something like that again (probably learned a big lesson) or else his reputation will take a major hit and be headed on a downward plane.

I like to think Redzoners wouldn't suppose the worst if they heard a rumor that Mario_Rijo got charged with assault. But due to my online persona a fiery, sometimes abrasive and argumentative one that they would probably buy that story despite whatever the truth was. It's human nature to presume what you already believe you know and your usually right. Now in my case it's funny because to be around me you'd know that assault charge was bogus.....but self defense on the other hand...
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?