Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Reds re-sign Bronson Arroyo?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 13.00%
  • Yes, but only if he'll sign at discount

31 31.00%
  • No

29 29.00%
  • Maybe (Wait to see how this season goes)

27 27.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-Sign Bronson Arroyo?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re-Sign Bronson Arroyo?

All the dude does is perform. He's posted 4 of the last 5 seasons with a sub-3.90 ERA, he's thrown 200 innings in all but 1 seasons he's pitched in Cincinnati, and he's (knock on wood) on pace to post yet another season of 30+ starts.

He's a "mark it down" guy that can take a spot in the rotation and give you nothing to worry about for an entire season, and his delivery and style of pitching leads you to believe he should throw well into his late-30s with minimal problems.

What say you, GMs of RedsZone? Bring back Bronson next year?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Re-Sign Bronson Arroyo?

I'm in favor of the Reds bringing Arroyo back. He's having a good year but I would only give him a 1-2 year contract.

Give him a gold watch

5. Likes:

Always Red (06-04-2013),bigredmechanism (06-05-2013),RedEye (06-04-2013),RedsManRick (06-04-2013)

I went maybe and only maybe if he signs at a favorable rate/length.

7. Likes:

bigredmechanism (06-05-2013),reds44 (06-06-2013)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I voted no. Especially if Leake keeps throwing like this. Let Cingrani have the spot next year and thanks for the memories Arroyo, it's actually been a really good run.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I don't see a scenario that makes a lot of sense financially in which he'd come back. I hope we can send him out with a World Series ring as he follows that dirty water back to Boston.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Make a qualifying offer. Then take the draft choice or get him for 1 more year w/o a longer term commitment.

11. Likes:

Benihana (06-04-2013),stripedwarrior (06-04-2013)

Quit while you're ahead. I like Arroyo, but he's a luxury, not an anchor. And he's a luxury that can sour quite quickly given the rate at which he allows balls in play.

Short of adding 3 K/9 to his game, nothing he does this year would change my position. He's already a mid 4's ERA guy benefiting from excellent defense and on top of that, he just has such a small margin of error. He's among the league "leaders" in fewest swinging strikes. What separates Arroyo (and Brandon McCarthy) from the likes of Jeremy Guthrie, Kevin Correia and Joe Saunders is Strike 1. If his location goes even a little, it's all over. Guys will be able to sit back, wait for a mistake, and kill it.

Last night we saw a lineup full of guys getting themselves out against him. Let's not forget what happens when he's off his game and guys can relax and react. It's not pretty. Does that mean he's doomed for failure? Of course not. But he's an expensive and unnecessary risk.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I love the guy but I don't think we can afford him. However, there's a lot of time between now and the end of the season. Who knows what can happen between now and then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

My head says no.

My heart says yes. I hope he can be around,but it wouldn't surprise me to see him in Boston.I think he still loves it there.
    Last edited by wlf WV; 06-04-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    May the Lord bless

15. Likes:

bigredmechanism (06-05-2013),TeamBoone (06-04-2013)

Well it depends on the discount. 1 year, less than $5M. Doubt he takes it, but you never know, and you can never have enough pitching.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

It just depends on how Leake finishes the year and how Cingrani progresses. Arroyo gives up 35 starts and 200 IP EVERY YEAR with an ERA under 4, amazingly consistent.
    Also, we should see who we draft here soon, always a chance we snatch up one or 2 polished college SP who are similar to Leake.

Our depth for 2014 if we resign Arroyo:

Cueto
    Latos
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Leake
    Cingrani

Corcino ( I would turn him into a RP)
    C Rogers (will be in AAA)
    Stephenson (prob will be in AA)

So honestly if we didn't keep burning money on RP, Masset, Madson and Broxton, we would have better chances to afford Arroyo. This team needs to keep developing big time pitching

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Well it depends on the discount. 1 year, less than $5M. Doubt he takes it, but you never know, and you can never have enough pitching.
    I'd like that deal too. Boston would give him $7 mil.

I don't want him to go, but he'll get a standing O in his last game at Cincy. He's smart and he's probally thinking of his financial future. He could sign a 3 year 30 mil contract somewhere.

We need that money to lock up our future.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    1yr/$5MM, not a chance. That's what utility players make...not proven middle-of-rotation starters.

Does anyone here not even make a qualifying offer?

Turn Off Ads?