Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Upton to Braves

Upton to Braves

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...tin-upton.html

Doesn't seem like they gave up a lot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Upton to Braves

Kevin Towers being Kevin Towers. Prado is nice, but for only one year it doesn't seem like much of an impact move. Delgado is fine but not netting Teheran seems like a disappointment. I really don't see how this is a better package than what Texas was probably offering.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Kevin Towers being Kevin Towers. Prado is nice, but for only one year it doesn't seem like much of an impact move. Delgado is fine but not netting Teheran seems like a disappointment. I really don't see how this is a better package than what Texas was probably offering.
    For this to even break even for Towers and the DBacks, I think Prado needs to get resigned and Spruielli or Ahmed need to be serviceable players at the MLB level.

I'm not sure either of those things happens.

EDIT: Suffice it to say, the NL pennant race is going to be a dog fight.
    Last edited by Larkin88; 01-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Towers is just bizarre. Anyway, it does look like the Diamondbacks are confident in being able to sign Prado to an extension. And they're going to try to flip Ahmed and a pitching prospect to the Tigers for Rick Porcello.

Seems that a lot of Towers' moves are just shuffling deck chairs. Why trade for Porcello when you have Skaggs, Corbin, Bradley? And you should still have Bauer!

The Braves OF rivals that now of the Jesse Barfield, Lloyd Mosebly, and George Bell late 80's OF trio . It will sell tickets.
    Last edited by 19braves77; 01-24-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

While I agree I am surprised that Az made the trade, I think it is a pretty cool story that the Upton brothers are now both playing for the same team. Always an interesting dynamic when 2 family members both play together like when Seattle had Ken Griffey Jr and Senior playing in the same line up. I am sure it will be fun for the Uptons.

That being said, The NL just keeps getting better at the top for next year and it is going to be a tough battle to win that pennant or to even make the playoffs with Atlanta, Washington, Cin, Stl, LAD, and SF all looking like they could be the best team in the league.
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

The Braves just got a lot better.

The Braves win this, hands down. They trade four mid-level prospects and a guy who probably isn't worth what he'll be making for the one year he has left before free agency for two cost-controlled, upper-tier solutions at two positions of need.

Arizona management did poorly for themselves leading up to this. Instead of quieting down the drama and shipping him to teams looking to contend early on, they waited until the main vacancies were filled and made it clearly known that they were willing to overpay to get him out of there. It's been a rough offseason out there.

The Braves better hope Upton can hit away from Chase Field or this trade will hurt them, last year Prado had a better OPS+ 114 to 107. I like this deal from the D-Backs side if they get the extension signed like they expect.

It opens up some money dropping Upton and Chris Johnson contracts. They had too many OF and needed a good 3B now they have one in Prado who is a +23 at 3rd vs Johnosn who is a -41 and now a good hitter in Martin Prado gets to hit in a hitter park and make more trips to Coors while not being too effected by LA, SD and SF due to not relying on power but average.

The Braves now lose Chipper and his line of .287/.377/.455/.832 form 112 games and turn to a Johnson and Juan Francisco platoon which is a major downgrade. Chipper walked 57 times and stuck out 51 in 387 AB while in 2012 Johnson had 528 AB and walked 31 times to 132 SO and JF added 11 walks and 70 K's in 192 AB. Also while on the lost walks and fewer SO train last year Prado had 58 walks to 69 SO while J Upton had 63 and 121 and the loss of Bourn takes away walks while keeping the SO rate high with BJ Upton replacing him so that will no doubt be an issue for Atlanta next year.

Randall Delgado is about to turn 23 and already has 24 starts under his belt with a ERA under 4, and was a Top-50 prospect before losing his status due to service time. Got another good SS prospect as protection on Gregorius, a innings eater #4 which has value especially with as much as SP is getting and a young raw infielder.

Atlanta added some name value getting the Upton's but they haven't improved their team unless playing together make's then both better on the field. Seattle was the better trade from a prospect POV but when Upton vetoed the trade it hurt their options and still came out nice with 2 MLB players and 3 prospects for a played they wanted to moved badly which should be a red flag on Upton. So if any of these 3 prospects make it to the majors or get moved for a MLB player Its a win for the Snakes getting 3 big league players for one.

Sounds like the deal was dependent on Prado's willingness to sign an extension.

I will be interested to see if subtracting Prado, Bourn and Jones and adding Upton, Upton and Johnson will improve the lineup that much.

Check out the slash lines from last year

B. Upton - .246/.298/.454
    Bourn - .274/.348/.391
    J. Upton - .280/.355/.430
    Prado - .301/.359/.438
    Jones - .287/.377/.455
    Johnson - .281/.326/.451

Sure, they picked up sexier names, but did they get THAT much better? I have my doubts.

I have my doubts about J. Upton. We shall see what happens. I think he is a good player but a little overrated. Of course his brother is maybe more so. It will be interesting to see how things play out in Atlanta.

Reds Fan and UGA Student ATL Reds Fan's Avatar

While first and foremost a Reds fan being from Atlanta I follow the Braves very closely and everyone here is extremely excited, myself included. This was huge for the Braves because it gives them a legitimate 3 hole hitter. Simmons will bat lead off and hopefully come close to replacing Bourn's ability to get on base. Then they have Heyward, J Upton, Freeman, BJ Upton, and Uggla to knock people in. While I personally am not a big fan of BJ or Uggla I think this team will hit and score runs.

Plus their pitching should be better this year. Delgado was either not going to make the rotation or be a marginal 5th starter plus they get a full year of Medlen and Beachy is likely to come back at the all star break.

All things considered, this Braves team is very good, probably about as good as last year, they will just go about scoring in a very different way.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL Reds Fan View Post
    This was huge for the Braves because it gives them a legitimate 3 hole hitter.
    Legitimate #3 hitters tend to hit better than .250/.325/.406/.731 in 367 road games away from their hitter friendly park.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    Legitimate #3 hitters tend to hit better than .250/.325/.406/.731 in 367 road games away from their hitter friendly park.
    I agree but he may have to serve as one on this Braves team anyway. Heyward or Freeman would probably be the next best options with slash lines of .269 /.335/.479/ .814 and .259/.340/.456/.796 respectively they are probably not quite there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HometownHero View Post
    The Braves better hope Upton can hit away from Chase Field or this trade will hurt them, last year Prado had a better OPS+ 114 to 107. I like this deal from the D-Backs side if they get the extension signed like they expect.

It opens up some money dropping Upton and Chris Johnson contracts. They had too many OF and needed a good 3B now they have one in Prado who is a +23 at 3rd vs Johnosn who is a -41 and now a good hitter in Martin Prado gets to hit in a hitter park and make more trips to Coors while not being too effected by LA, SD and SF due to not relying on power but average.

The Braves now lose Chipper and his line of .287/.377/.455/.832 form 112 games and turn to a Johnson and Juan Francisco platoon which is a major downgrade. Chipper walked 57 times and stuck out 51 in 387 AB while in 2012 Johnson had 528 AB and walked 31 times to 132 SO and JF added 11 walks and 70 K's in 192 AB. Also while on the lost walks and fewer SO train last year Prado had 58 walks to 69 SO while J Upton had 63 and 121 and the loss of Bourn takes away walks while keeping the SO rate high with BJ Upton replacing him so that will no doubt be an issue for Atlanta next year.

Randall Delgado is about to turn 23 and already has 24 starts under his belt with a ERA under 4, and was a Top-50 prospect before losing his status due to service time. Got another good SS prospect as protection on Gregorius, a innings eater #4 which has value especially with as much as SP is getting and a young raw infielder.

Atlanta added some name value getting the Upton's but they haven't improved their team unless playing together make's then both better on the field. Seattle was the better trade from a prospect POV but when Upton vetoed the trade it hurt their options and still came out nice with 2 MLB players and 3 prospects for a played they wanted to moved badly which should be a red flag on Upton. So if any of these 3 prospects make it to the majors or get moved for a MLB player Its a win for the Snakes getting 3 big league players for one.
    Good breakdown of the trade. I tend to agree with you, but Uptons age is a big factor for me. Here's why- entering his 25 year old season, he theoretically still has room for improvement. If the Braves get him at his near 900 OPS level like he played at ages 21 and 23, this is a good trade for them. If he does get better, you're possibly looking at a guy OPSing around 950 to 1000. Of course that point is moot if you're correct about the eagerness to trade him being a red flag.
    I'm pretty sure I also saw Rosenthal mention that one of the prospects they got was someone the Tigers wanted, and they were going to flip him for Porcello.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?