Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Giancarlo Stanton

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Giancarlo Stanton

Joey Votto would be the happiest guy on the team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Interesting.

An Oscar Taveras/ Allen Craig/ Shelby Miller deal is massive. The Marlins would likely insist on Carlos Martinez and Trevor Rosenthal as well, while shuffling off Ricky Nolasco. (At least I would, were I the GM.)
    Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Taveras, Craig, Miller and I'm not particularly torn about it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Interesting.

An Oscar Taveras/ Allen Craig/ Shelby Miller deal is massive. The Marlins would likely insist on Carlos Martinez and Trevor Rosenthal as well, while shuffling off Ricky Nolasco. (At least I would, were I the GM.)

That'd give the Marlins a semblance of a lineup to look forward to in a couple of years while also keeping seats warm on the big league team.

A Marisnick/ Taveras/ Yelich OF could be a joy to watch in two or three years. Fast, three CF defensively with power and serious tools. (And, if you're not a believer in Marisnick, there are a bunch of others in that system; they have a ton of interesting OFers and LHP.) Add Craig as a 1B slugger and Dietrich as a Dan Uggla clone at 2B, and I could see Miami making a run in a couple of years with a lineup of:
    Marisinick CF
    Yelich RF
    Taveras LF
    Craig 1B
    Dietrich 2B
    Brantly C
    Hechaverria SS

A possible rotation of Jacob Turner, Miller, Martinez, Jose Fernandez, and Eovaldi or Nicolino sure could be tough. Add in a slew of high upside prospects and Rosenthal as the back end of the bullpen, and you've got enough for a team to consider moving a talent like Stanton.

Meanwhile, St. Louis would run the following lineup out there:
    Furcal SS
    Beltran CF
    Holliday LF
    Stanton RF
    Molina C
    Carpenter 1B
    Freese 3B
    Descalo 2B

Studly, that. Better than the proposed Cincinnati lineup, IMO.

And their rotation would likely be:
    Wainwright
    Carpenter
    Lynn
    Nolasco
    Garcia

With Jake Westbrook in tow as erstwhile sixth starter (and Joe Kelly behind him), you've got some serious arms there as well.

The pen is still a work in progress, but, yeah, that deal makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Nice job, mth.
    They could also give Holliday a 1B glove and stick Jay out in the OF or use Matt Adams at 1B. The Cards are loaded with soiid depth and will be a force soon with or without Stanton IMO. The Reds have an opportunity this year while the Cards sort through those arms and Garcia and Carpenter look iffy, which is why I'm against creating holes. Next year, its going to be a dogfight and dealing for Stanton would likely make 2014 holes in Cincy in CF and in the Rotation with no backfills for Choo and Arroyo.

Funny, the only teams that can really afford to deal for Stanton are the ones that don't really have to have him. I'd say Texas and St. Louis are the two best matches.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They could also give Holliday a 1B glove and stick Jay out in the OF or use Matt Adams at 1B. The Cards are loaded with soiid depth and will be a force soon with or without Stanton IMO. The Reds have an opportunity this year while the Cards sort through those arms and Garcia and Carpenter look iffy, which is why I'm against creating holes. Next year, its going to be a dogfight and dealing for Stanton would likely make 2014 holes in Cincy in CF and in the Rotation with no backfills for Choo and Arroyo.

Funny, the only teams that can really afford to deal for Stanton are the ones that don't really have to have him. I'd say Texas and St. Louis are the two best matches.
    Stanton will be a Marlin on Opening Day.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Stanton will be a Marlin on Opening Day.
    Very Possible. They aren't shopping him, but would move him if offered a package that reboots the organization. I don't think the Reds have such a package to give.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Very Possible. They aren't shopping him, but would move him if offered a package that reboots the organization. I don't think the Reds have such a package to give.
    I would guess if they are as bad as the Astros of a year ago, he might go somewhere in July. It is going to be difficult for them to get value for him. While it stinks for him, they would be smart to keep him, pay him, and build around him. But they haven't been doing smart things lately, so anything is possible. I just don't see the Reds even kicking the tires, unless they get wind that they are looking for less than expected.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Interesting.

That'd give the Marlins a semblance of a lineup to look forward to in a couple of years while also keeping seats warm on the big league team.

A Marisnick/ Taveras/ Yelich OF could be a joy to watch in two or three years. Fast, three CF defensively with power and serious tools. (And, if you're not a believer in Marisnick, there are a bunch of others in that system; they have a ton of interesting OFers and LHP.) Add Craig as a 1B slugger and Dietrich as a Dan Uggla clone at 2B, and I could see Miami making a run in a couple of years with a lineup of:
    Marisinick CF
    Yelich RF
    Taveras LF
    Craig 1B
    Dietrich 2B
    Brantly C
    Hechaverria SS

A possible rotation of Jacob Turner, Miller, Martinez, Jose Fernandez, and Eovaldi or Nicolino sure could be tough. Add in a slew of high upside prospects and Rosenthal as the back end of the bullpen, and you've got enough for a team to consider moving a talent like Stanton.

Meanwhile, St. Louis would run the following lineup out there:
    Furcal SS
    Beltran CF
    Holliday LF
    Stanton RF
    Molina C
    Carpenter 1B
    Freese 3B
    Descalo 2B

Studly, that. Better than the proposed Cincinnati lineup, IMO.

And their rotation would likely be:
    Wainwright
    Carpenter
    Lynn
    Nolasco
    Garcia

With Jake Westbrook in tow as erstwhile sixth starter (and Joe Kelly behind him), you've got some serious arms there as well.

The pen is still a work in progress, but, yeah, that deal makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Nice job, mth.
    Beltran won't be playing CF on any kind of regular or even semi-regular basis. Even when Jay was injured last year, guys like Robinson were playing there.

Zero chance the Cards trade for Stanton. They simply don't need him enough to give up the best package the Marlins could get.

Same could be said for the Reds.

If you're not a big believer in Chapman (or Cozart), consider:

Chapman > Marlins
    Stanton > Rangers
    Profar > Reds

Might need to have some players on the periphery, but that's the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I seriously doubt that the Reds are having one serious conversation on Stanton. They have a team that projects as a 95+ win team in the house now. It would be like blowing up their yacht, which they have invested millions in to get it where it is, because it only had a HD flat screen TV, then paying $50M for a new yacht because it had a 3D flat screen TV.

I understand why any fan would want Stanton on their team. It just is so unrealistic that even trying to put names to a deal seems like so much silliness.
    I don't think the Marlins are even having conversations on Stanton. They've no incentive to trade him at all. He's young and cheap and the one guy they can keep that will still keep some semblance of a crowd coming to home games.

I agree with your earlier sentiment completely... He'll be in their lineup on Opening Day.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I agree the idea of acquiring Stanton is highly unlikely and runs the potential of destroying the Reds farm system.

But then again, nobody knows what it would take. Chapman, Hamilton, Stephenson for Stanton? I'd do that in a heartbeat. Most other proposals, I'd pass, and stay the course.

Sure, that sounds great from the Reds POV, but I doubt Miami wants Chapman. He's too expensive for them.

I can't see how a trade could work without giving up at least one of Frasier/Cozart/Mez in addition to Hamilton and pitching prospects.
    It might still be a net gain in talent for the Reds, but creates some holes as well, and the Reds have no money left to backfill.. Then there's the sticker shock when Stanton hits arbitration.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I don't think the Marlins are even having conversations on Stanton. They've no incentive to trade him at all. He's young and cheap and the one guy they can keep that will still keep some semblance of a crowd coming to home games.

I agree with your earlier sentiment completely... He'll be in their lineup on Opening Day.
    Not to mention that this whole debate started because of a rumor started by LEATHERPANTS.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Sure, that sounds great from the Reds POV, but I doubt Miami wants Chapman. He's too expensive for them.

I can't see how a trade could work without giving up at least one of Frasier/Cozart/Mez in addition to Hamilton and pitching prospects.
    It might still be a net gain in talent for the Reds, but creates some holes as well, and the Reds have no money left to backfill.. Then there's the sticker shock when Stanton hits arbitration.
    Miami has alot of Cuban fans. The Cuban Missile might draw fans. Hehehe.

So you say 1 of Frazier/Cozart/or Mez + Hamilton + Cingrani or Corcino or Stephenson + Chapman?

Hamilton, Chapman, Mez, Corcino for Stanton. I think the Fish would be stupid to pass on that. In fact, I think it's an overpay. And I don't know why you think Chapman is that expensive. He's pretty cheap for what he delivers. And he should be an attendance booster.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Miami has alot of Cuban fans. The Cuban Missile might draw fans. Hehehe.

So you say 1 of Frazier/Cozart/or Mez + Hamilton + Cingrani or Corcino or Stephenson + Chapman?

Hamilton, Chapman, Mez, Corcino for Stanton. I think the Fish would be stupid to pass on that. In fact, I think it's an overpay. And I don't know why you think Chapman is that expensive. He's pretty cheap for what he delivers. And he should be an attendance booster.
    Well, I think Miami is going to go into Carl Lindner 2003 mode now.. They got their new ballpark, time to cut the salaries to the bone. I doubt they are that worried about attendence. That's the downside to revenue sharing and the huge TV contract. It's very profitable to sandbag payroll and have minimal attendence..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Chapman is still owed $9.75 Million in deferred signing bonus through 2020, has a $2 Million Salary for 2013 and his 2014 salary of $3 Million will convert to a bonus as soon as he's arb eligible after the 2013 season. He'll probably be due around $8 Million or so in arb award for 2014 with two more years at an even higher salary after that and before he's eligible for free agency. Unless the Reds are paying a bunch of that, the Marlins won't want to have anything to do with him IMO and if the Reds do pay a lot of that, I doubt there will be money to afford Stanton when he becomes arb eligible in 2014.

IMO, a deal involving Chapman make absolutely no sense.

Unless the Reds are paying a bunch of that, the Marlins won't want to have anything to do with him IMO
    Marlins are not necessarily strip mining here. They have offloaded big contracts and can now take on salary. My guess is that Selig has pretty much told Lorie to at least make an effort to appear to field a passable squad.

Turn Off Ads?