Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Is there a point where you would not consider it a problem anymore? A high profile player just got busted for 50 games in a playoff chase, so it's not like MLB is still afraid to address the issue. How is it easier to believe that guys like Jose Bautista and Edwin are taking PED's that no one knows about, don't build any noticeable muscle, and don't show up on tests? I'm not expert on PED's, so maybe I'm naive, but this wonder drug seems a little far-fetched to me. And if it existed, wouldn't it be rampant throughout the league?
    No offense, but I think you are being naive. There are a number of questionable performances happening right now. But it wouldn't have to be rampant in order to exist.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Couldn't tell you. Some people might just have connections or methods to beat the system, and would rather not reveal them to maintain the competitive edge.

There is more to building strength than just bulking up though. The eye test is probably the worst judge of whether or not someone juiced tbh. The ability to recover better and quicker makes a big difference.

If I had to guess though I'd owe it more to sign stealing than anything else. I re-read that ESPN piece where they investigated the possibility of sign stealing in Rogers Centre and the numbers were eye popping.
    On that note, Edwin has decently big splits home and away.

This might be a good read on the subject:
    http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=6837424

Is there a point where you would not consider it a problem anymore? A high profile player just got busted for 50 games in a playoff chase, so it's not like MLB is still afraid to address the issue. How is it easier to believe that guys like Jose Bautista and Edwin are taking PED's that no one knows about, don't build any noticeable muscle, and don't show up on tests? I'm not expert on PED's, so maybe I'm naive, but this wonder drug seems a little far-fetched to me. And if it existed, wouldn't it be rampant throughout the league?
    Theoretically, some drugs are not necessarily to outright build muscle mass, but rather reduce the effects of aging, improve hand-eye coordination and keep up a player's strength and energy on a daily basis.

Take fatigue, for example. Being able to take supplements that boosted a player's energy everyday for six months would not necessarily manifest itself in a greater single-game performance, but rather more consistently reach potential over the course of 162 games. That would lead to tremendously better stats. And if the same drug, in theory, reduced or delayed aging effects, it would allow the player to sustain it for longer than most guys typically start to decline.

I don't think a lot of these drugs would be terribly noticeable outwardly. Muscle mass is not necessarily always going to improve a player's power anyhow. Bat speed is considered more important than brute strength based on the scientific studies I've seen. Sometimes strength equals better bat speed, but not always and not necessarily directly.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    No offense, but I think you are being naive. There are a number of questionable performances happening right now. But it wouldn't have to be rampant in order to exist.
    Sure there's some "questionable performances", but what's it coming from at this point? I don't think it's naive at all to say it's pretty obviously not testosterone or traditional steroids. As far as fatigue reducing supplements, I just don't see how that accounts for half of the improvement we've seen from Bautista and Encarnacion. What is this miracle drug doing?

The headline kind of made me chuckle. "Yeah, right."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs...for-cubs-in-13

Sure there's some "questionable performances", but what's it coming from at this point? I don't think it's naive at all to say it's pretty obviously not testosterone or traditional steroids. As far as fatigue reducing supplements, I just don't see how that accounts for half of the improvement we've seen from Bautista and Encarnacion. What is this miracle drug doing?
    With the way medicine and technology are today, I don't think anything can be ruled out for anyone. We are in the middle of an era of athletes doing stuff that has never been seen before. I don't think it can all be explained by legitimate training advances.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The headline kind of made me chuckle. "Yeah, right."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs...for-cubs-in-13
    Isn't it great that we no longer have to read stories about how Tim Hummel, Tim Norton, Brandon Larson, etc will eventually lead the team to the promised land and all those years of sucking will pay off.. I like contending

I understand that every club has to rebuild occasionally, but getting excited that Sappelt might be a suitable 4th OF just doesn't do it for me anymore.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Agreed. Same for hoping that Wood will take several steps forward.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I went back and watched Sappelt some this season. Don't like what he has done with his swing, or pre-swing. Before he broke out, he had a lot of bat movement before he would begin his swing and to me it seemed it was keeping him from getting his balance just right and sapping him of some power. He has some more movement than he had last year again and I wonder if again he is just missing his balance point in his swing, causing him a lack of some power.

This post was made at the end of May. Sappelt, again, has a different swing that he was using both here in Cincinnati (both good and bad) and the one he was using earlier when this post was made.

Interesting piece from MLB.com about Alonso and the trade and how his season has gone.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...rtnerId=rss_sd
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Johnny Bench likes Grandal better than Mesoraco and Hanigan.

On the Reds’ catching tandem of Ryan Hanigan and Devin Mesoraco: “(Mesoraco) is still developing. I think you’re going to see a lot of good things from Devin. Hanigan has always been a great receiver. He’s got his average up around .290. I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him. I think he’s an even more productive hitter than he’s shown. He’s only got 23 RBIs; I thought that was a misprint. He has a good eye. I’ve talked to him about being more of a hands hitter than a body hitter and to get his hands to stay up. And (catcher Dioner) Navarro comes up and does a good job. We gave up (Yasmani) Grandal (in a trade to San Diego), and I thought that he was the best of all of them. Somebody knew that, too. I guess that’s why they wanted him in San Diego.”
    Bench had lots of good things to say about the team this year.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...Series-chances

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I cannot express how glad I am to NOT have Edinson Volquez anymore. I agreed with the Hamilton trade at the time (and still think it was the right move), but there aren't many things that drive me nuts quicker than a pitcher without control.

This season, Volquez is second in the majors in walks allowed with 102. ONE HUNDRED AND TWO!!! To put things in perspective, the highest walk total on the Reds is Mat Latos with 63. Homer has 52, Cueto 48, Leake 41 and Bronson is second in the league with only 34 allowed. I know that the almighty strikeout gets more attention and praise, but IMO its the BB's that should be the more important stat.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I cannot express how glad I am to NOT have Edinson Volquez anymore. I agreed with the Hamilton trade at the time (and still think it was the right move), but there aren't many things that drive me nuts quicker than a pitcher without control.

This season, Volquez is second in the majors in walks allowed with 102. ONE HUNDRED AND TWO!!! To put things in perspective, the highest walk total on the Reds is Mat Latos with 63. Homer has 52, Cueto 48, Leake 41 and Bronson is second in the league with only 34 allowed. I know that the almighty strikeout gets more attention and praise, but IMO its the BB's that should be the more important stat.

He finished with 105 after walking 3 more today.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Interesting piece from MLB.com about Alonso and the trade and how his season has gone.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...rtnerId=rss_sd
    Good article, but did they really call Edinson an "innings eater?"
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I have always thought Volquez would be a lights out closer. If he could focus on his best pitches and mix a breaking ball in from time to time he could be very good.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?