Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Should Be #1 In College Football?

Re: Who Should Be #1 In College Football?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Why not just play the current NFL system with the caveat that each team has to get at least one possession.
    No matter whether each team gets a possession or not, it's more advantageous to get the ball first. You guarantee you'll have one more possession than the opponent.

I think each team should get it at the 50, that makes it fair and makes a team drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe go with the NFL style but require a team to score 6 points to win the game?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    No matter whether each team gets a possession or not, it's more advantageous to get the ball first. You guarantee you'll have one more possession than the opponent.

I think each team should get it at the 50, that makes it fair and makes a team drive.
    Not really. If the team with possession first doesn't score, and the team that gets the ball second scores, the game is over.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I am a Buckeye fan, so I will admit to bias...but based on how the system is done...the Bucks should be number one....are they the best team in the nation? No, probably not--I think Oregon or even South Carolina could be better teams...but for now, why not?

OSU is getting questioned for the strength of schedule. I disagree. First off the game against Kent St. was the buy week. They do all the players and coaches a service by making it so they are finished and home for Thanksgiving. So lets replace the Kent W with a bye, does it make a difference? Second of all look who some of the top teams have lost to. Stanford and Oregon St. aren't dominant teams. Oregon St. is a middle of the pack Pac 10 team and had it handed to them agains UC in the beginning of the season. Stanford is about as good as Northwestern or Appy State is so I dont see why USC didn't drop as far as they should have.

As an OSU fan I would much rather have them sitting at #2 than #1. Do they deserve it, yes. They have dominated every team they have played. I dont know if there is another team in the country who can hold Purdue to 7 points all coming on the 2nd last play of the game. There is still this misconceptoin that the Big 10 is slow. Well take out the Florida game last season and there probably aren't too many teams who OSU can't match in terms of speed. The ironic thing about the top teams losing is that they were in games that really wern't the toughest games they played. And to be honest after watching Cal screw up the last few minutes of the game on Sat they don't deserve to be a top ranked team.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    OSU is getting questioned for the strength of schedule.
    I''m not questionning the schedule in the context if them being #1 this week--someone has to be #1, so it might as well be OSU--but there's little doubt that this year's schedule is among the weakest in years.

It doesn't help that there's nary a legitimate Big 10 team to be found beyond OSU--everyone else has at least two losses. Washington was a decent team, and beating them on the road was nice, but it's nothing spectacular. OSU played a good half of football against a mediocre Purdue team. Games against Penn St., Wisconsin, Mich. St. and Michigan loom, but really OSU should be able to beat all of them.

I guess my gripe is that you really don't know how good OSU truly is. They're beating the teams they are supposed to beat, but how would they fare against an Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, West Virginia or even South Florida? I honestly haven't a clue. I guess that's why they play the games.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    I''m not questionning the schedule in the context if them being #1 this week--someone has to be #1, so it might as well be OSU--but there's little doubt that this year's schedule is among the weakest in years.

It doesn't help that there's nary a legitimate Big 10 team to be found beyond OSU--everyone else has at least two losses. Washington was a decent team, and beating them on the road was nice, but it's nothing spectacular. OSU played a good half of football against a mediocre Purdue team. Games against Penn St., Wisconsin, Mich. St. and Michigan loom, but really OSU should be able to beat all of them.

I guess my gripe is that you really don't know how good OSU truly is. They're beating the teams they are supposed to beat, but how would they fare against an Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, West Virginia or even South Florida? I honestly haven't a clue. I guess that's why they play the games.
    I understand that and I too wonder how they would fare against the list above. However Oklahoma lost to a poor Colorado team, LSU has something to prove now after losing to UK, Florida is out of it losing to Auburn at home and then LSU and I do not give WVU any credit because their out of conference schedule is pretty bad as well. S. Florida is the only team with a legit gripe about being #1. You said above that OSU is beating teams they are supposed to beat well the other top teams didn't do that. Thats the big thing. OSU's schedule isn't tough but there aren't too many teams who have to go into Happy Valley and UM in the same season. I dont care how down the teams are anytime you play on an opponents turf in front of 100,000+ fans its a tough game.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    OSU's schedule isn't tough but there aren't too many teams who have to go into Happy Valley and UM in the same season. I dont care how down the teams are anytime you play on an opponents turf in front of 100,000+ fans its a tough game.
    Those are unquestionably tought games--they'd be tough under any circumstances. If OSU runs the table and wins in Happy Valley and Ann Arbor, I think they've earned the BCS championship game berth regardless of their non-conference schedule. But the schedule *is* an issue.

As much as I am an OSU supporter, there's a part of me that would love to see a BCS Championship between South Florida and Boston College. Or, better yet, have no teams go undefeated and watch the BCS commissioners choke on their cheerios as they try to explain to the country why teams A and B are worthy, but teams C through K are not. Hilarity would ensure.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    2. The elimination of this ridiculous overtime system. Play something that doesn't resemble a soccer shootout, or go back to having ties.
    Personally, I enjoy the current overtime system. I know it leads to inflated scores but it is certainly exciting to watch. I despise the NFL system which encourages a team to kick a field goal to win. Field goals are not the most exciting play in sports.

One possible improvement to the college overtime would be to force them to go for two throughout rather than after 2 periods. Its still a little goofy but its exciting and would limit the obscene scores and length of games.

Last night Boise St and Nevada went to 4ots and the score was 69-61

Great game, Bill Curry was ranting how it wasn't "right"
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Last night Boise St and Nevada went to 4ots and the score was 69-61

Great game, Bill Curry was ranting how it wasn't "right"
    Who doesn't love a good Bill Curry rant?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Who doesn't love a good Bill Curry rant?
    The Curry hyperbole meter was off the charts last night...

Every time the Nevada frosh QB made a big play (which was often--the dude is a badass), Curry kept saying he was the "best QB in the country" and that "he would take this young man over every other QB because of his heart." This was a QB making his FIRST collegiate start last night.

The play-by-play man tried to bring Bill back down to Earth by asking, "Do you mean you would take him over UK's Andre Woodson?"

Curry's response: "Uhm, well....no."

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Personally, I enjoy the current overtime system. I know it leads to inflated scores but it is certainly exciting to watch. I despise the NFL system which encourages a team to kick a field goal to win. Field goals are not the most exciting play in sports.

One possible improvement to the college overtime would be to force them to go for two throughout rather than after 2 periods. Its still a little goofy but its exciting and would limit the obscene scores and length of games.
    Plus , maybe teams start at the 40 yard line rather than the 25.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    The Curry hyperbole meter was off the charts last night...

Every time the Nevada frosh QB made a big play (which was often--the dude is a badass), Curry kept saying he was the "best QB in the country" and that "he would take this young man over every other QB because of his heart." This was a QB making his FIRST collegiate start last night.

The play-by-play man tried to bring Bill back down to Earth by asking, "Do you mean you would take him over UK's Andre Woodson?"

Curry's response: "Uhm, well....no."

Let me also remind you that Curry(when he actually was a coach) took Billy Jack Haskins over Tim Couch also.
    And if Curry had came back I am sure it would have still been Haskins and Couch would have just had to wait his turn.
    Last edited by jmac; 10-16-2007 at 01:16 AM.

Curry also said that they should end the game in a tie after the third OT because it wasn't fair to the lineman. They were running around all game long and were tired; therefore, they were a higher injury risk.

Turn Off Ads?