Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cubs sign Piniella to 3 yr-deal

Re: Cubs sign Piniella to 3 yr-deal

Aramis Ramirez along with a starting pitcher was mentioned as likely targets for the Yanks if they were to trade A-Rod. To me, I don't see where the Cubs would gain anything by trading Ramirez and a SP to grab A-Rod, except for star power. Ramirez had very similar numbers this year and is also a few years younger. If the SP offered is either Hill or Marshall, if i'm the Yanks, i jump on that trade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by maniem View Post
    Aramis Ramirez along with a starting pitcher was mentioned as likely targets for the Yanks if they were to trade A-Rod. To me, I don't see where the Cubs would gain anything by trading Ramirez and a SP to grab A-Rod, except for star power. Ramirez had very similar numbers this year and is also a few years younger. If the SP offered is either Hill or Marshall, if i'm the Yanks, i jump on that trade.
    I think it would be more like ARam and Zambrano for ARod.

I don't think the Cubs would trade Zambrano & Ramirez for A-Rod... I don't think the Cubs would trade Zambrano alone for A-Rod

A-Rod has a no-trade clause; he has to approve any trade. Why in God's name would he agree to go to the worst team in the National League?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    A-Rod has a no-trade clause; he has to approve any trade. Why in God's name would he agree to go to the worst team in the National League?
    Because of Lou...whom while in Seattle, he had somewhat of a father/son relationship with. Also, the media and fans booing in New York has clearly bothered him.

I don't know if he will...but if the deal got done, it wouldn't surprise me, as much as I wouldn't like it.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 10-17-2006 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Because of Lou...whom while in Seattle, he had somewhat of a father/son relationship with. Also, the media and fans booing in New York has clearly bothered him.

I don't know if he will...but if the deal got done, it wouldn't surprise me, as much as I wouldn't like it.
    He is not going anywhere. He cannot admit failure to that extent by leaving New York right now, whether or not it would be better for him personally. It would make the ribbing and jeering and booing anywhere, and he would not admit failure to himself.

If I'm proven wrong, I'll eat my words. But I really think any talk of him leaving is ludicrous -- and going to such a bad team, regardless of who is managing, even more so.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Recovering Cubs Fan

So my question is: what kind of relationship did Griffey have with Piniella? And just how desperate for "star power" are the Cubs?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

According to Thom Brennaman (interview), when the Torre stuff was going down, Lou told him he didn't even want the Yankees job if it did become available.

Wow.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    He is not going anywhere. He cannot admit failure to that extent by leaving New York right now, whether or not it would be better for him personally. It would make the ribbing and jeering and booing anywhere, and he would not admit failure to himself.

If I'm proven wrong, I'll eat my words. But I really think any talk of him leaving is ludicrous -- and going to such a bad team, regardless of who is managing, even more so.
    I suspect you're 100% correct about this.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?