Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One negative and one positive from Game 2:

One negative and one positive from Game 2:

The negative: Cabrera not stopping that ball that trickled through the infield. It was so close to him, he almost stepped on it. Instead he tried to stab at, where he could have easily smothered it with his body, holding the runner on 3rd. Cabrera's always been a cocky individual, and it's that part of his attitude why I don't like him as a player. It cost us a run in a close game.

The positive: Instead of whacking at the 1st pitch as often as they did in Game 1, the REDS, as a whole, were very patient in Game 2, taking the 1st pitch most of the time, whether it was a strike or a ball. The first time through the lineup, only Stubbs swung at the first pitch. They need to be looking at pitches, and in early games in April, force the opposing starter to throw more pitches so he's gone that much sooner. The results weren't that good as Wainwright pitched very well, but it was still 2-2 through 6 innings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: One negative and one positive from Game 2:

I think we swung at alot of 1st pitches. At one point in the game, cueto had 80 pitches and Wainright had 39.

The Negative: The Range of Cabrera and Rolen, i wasn't mad about Logan, so what he got hit today but will will learn, did not see Juan Francisco

The Positive: No Lincoln, Pretty good job by Cueto, they didn't hit him hard. Nick Masset came back to normal. he did good vs the top of the order. Cabrera looked solid, and so did Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    I think we swung at alot of 1st pitches. At one point in the game, cueto had 80 pitches and Wainright had 39.
    exactly. not sure where kingspoint is getting we were patient at the plate.

The Negative: A lot of hacking by Reds batters. Working the count can go a long way...especially when getting the starting pitcher out of the way ASAP. Giving up 3 outs on 9 pitches isn't a formula to win, even if you had Pete Rose, Cap Anson and Babe Ruth as your next three batters you dont' let anyone swing that much. Let our guys work the count or else we're going to see opponent pitchers go 6+ innings on us the rest of the year. And if I could give another negative: Having a rookie pitcher go up against the best batter of our generation and then Matt Holliday. Huge managing mistake.

The Positive: Cabrera came alive and hit when he needed to. Phillips also worked the count when he could, but I'm really surprised that OrCab was able to drive in 3 RBI's and have good at bats today. He was brought in for veteren leadership and today's at bats gave him some credibility so that's a huge plus.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    exactly. not sure where kingspoint is getting we were patient at the plate.
    I'm getting it from what actually happened. I stated in the first post that of the first 9 batters for the REDS, only the 1st batter (Stubbs) swung at the first pitch. (and Stubbs didn't swing at the first pitch his next time up, so 9 of the first 10 batters let the first pitch go by)

Replay the game and count the rest of the at-bats against Wainwright. I'll post the exact numbers on Thursday if you don't want to go back and look at the game tape.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-08-2010 at 05:49 AM.

At one point in the game, cueto had 80 pitches and Wainright had 39.
    That was Cueto's fault for so many pitches and the fact that when we did swing, we made contact and made an out.

We actually didn't. Game 1 we swung at 16 of 41 1st Pitches for 39% (league average is 27%).

In game 2 we swung at 8 of 34 1st Pitches for 24% (league average still at 27%).

Almost everyone to a man was more patient on the 1st pitch:

BP swung 4 of 5 1st Pitch on Monday, but 1 of 4 on Wednesday.
    SR swung 2 of 5 1st Pitch on Monday, but 1 of 4 on Wednesday.
    OC swung 2 of 5 1st Pitch on Monday, but 0 of 4 on Wednesday.
    JB swung 1 of 4 1st Pitch on Monday, but 0 of 4 on Wednesday.
    CD swung 2 of 5 1st Pitch on Monday, but 0 of 1 on Wednesday.
    JF swung 1 of 1 1st Pitch on Monday, but didn't bat Wednesday.
    MC swung 1 of 1 1st Pitch on Monday, but didn't bat Wednesday.
    JV swung 2 of 5 1st Pitch on Monday, but 3 of 4 on Wednesday.
    JG swung 0 of 1 1st Pitch on Monday, but 1 of 4 on Wednesday.
    DS swung 0 of 2 1st Pitch on Monday, but 1 of 4 on Wednesday.
    RH swung 1 of 4 1st Pitch on Monday, but 1 of 3 on Wednesday.
    LN swung 0 of 2 1st Pitch on Monday, but 0 of 1 on Wednesday.
    Harang swung 0 of 1 on Monday and Cueto 0 of 1 on Wednesday.

Again, 39% on Monday, while 24% on Wednesday. That's a dramatic effort on the part of the REDS to be more patient than they were on Monday. Stubbs made the 1st out on the 1st pitch on Wednesday and after watching not one person after him swing at the 1st pitch until he batted again, he noticed it for sure and didn't swing at another 1st pitch the rest of the night.

To me, not swinging at the first pitch means very little. Just because guys didn't swing at the first thing that Wainright tossed up there doesn't mean that we got a lot of solid, patient ABs. On the contrary, there were a ton of quick outs made until that 6th inning when Stubbs got on and forced Wainright to think about the running game. That resulted in the gopher ball that he served up to Cabrera.

In general, Stubbs and Cabrera need to set the tone and see a lot of pitches. You know Votto and Rolen will give you solid, lengthy ABs, but the Reds need a bit of that at the top of the order as well. Personally, I think Stubbs holds the keys to the Reds' season this year. If he can be patient and OBP over .350, I think the Reds will be successful.

Negative: Votto looked awful last night against Wainwright.

Positive: We're only 2 games in.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Negative:
    St. Louis has two legitimate aces, and we have none.

Negative: Letting a pitcher have a 6 pitch inning and things of that nature.
    Positive: They are kinda hitting, and just having some bad luck.

Must keep in mind one thing: The Reds opened the season against 2 of the top three pitchers in the league last year. Carpenter and Wainright were number 2 and 3 in the Cy Young voting last year.

No one should have to open the season to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Negative:
    St. Louis has two legitimate aces, and we have none.
    And 2 Big - Time hitters, we have 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    And 2 Big - Time hitters, we have 1.
    DING DING!!

In the NL Central, 2 TOR pitchers and 2 Legit hitters ought to get you over the top.

Our only hope is that our 3/4/5 guys can win 60% of their games versus other folks' 3/4/5 guys.

Our combination of "average" 1-3 starters and this offense, it's going to be hard to beat other team's aces.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?