Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the Reds one of the best teams in the MLB right now?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Are the Reds one of the best teams in the MLB right now?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    When you are one of the best teams in baseball, and things aren't clicking on all cylinders, you are one of the best teams in baseball.

I don't think anything could be more simple than that.
    Maybe they never will click on all cylinders.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Maybe they never will click on all cylinders.
    If we are not clicking on all cylinders, I don't know what you would call today's performance.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

When you're #4 pitcher goes in Philly and shuts them down.....you are a good team.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The Reds are a really good team. They were a really good team when they were struggling. They'll still be a really good team the next time they struggle (which will happen).

The season is so, so, so long. If the Reds stay decently healthy, they're going to be there in the end. No doubt in my mind.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    The Reds are a really good team. They were a really good team when they were struggling. They'll still be a really good team the next time they struggle (which will happen).

The season is so, so, so long. If the Reds stay decently healthy, they're going to be there in the end. No doubt in my mind.
    The pitching staff is too solid for us to fall out of the race.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

The Cardinals, Reds and Pirates have the 3 best records in the NL.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

With the bats heating up, namely Votto and Bruce, this team could be virtually unstoppable. Despite the injuries and cold offense, they managed to finish April with a better record than they had in 2012.

The Pirates will falter at some point, I'm still worried about the Cards, a little.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

We are +50 in run differential, best in the NL, and trailing only Texas with +51 in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Everytime somebody makes this argument, I can't help but record. What should a very good team's record be against .500+ teams?
    I'll preface my retort with this, yes we are a good team and arguably a very good team when healthy. Having said that wouldn't you expect a "very good" team to have something a bit closer to .500 if not over against other very good teams. Granted it is a small sample but if they keep that pace up we are watching the playoffs most likely. Teams that beat who they should and lose mostly to the good teams aren't generally a "very" good team after all.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'll preface my retort with this, yes we are a good team and arguably a very good team when healthy. Having said that wouldn't you expect a "very good" team to have something a bit closer to .500 if not over against other very good teams. Granted it is a small sample but if they keep that pace up we are watching the playoffs most likely. Teams that beat who they should and lose mostly to the good teams aren't generally a "very" good team after all.
    I bolded the answer to your question.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Alot of these replies are an overreaction to yesterday's blowout win.

I still think they need to prove it against the good teams.

Clicking on all cylinders, for me, is putting together an 7 to 10 game win streak where the pitching and hitting both pull their weight (like last year after the AS break). And beating up on good teams, not the Marlins.

I'm happy with what they've achieved considering the injuries. I didn't expect certain guys to struggle as badly as they have.

Definitely a well put together team. Unfortunately the manager is hindering the potent offense with a .235 OBP guy batting second.

Clicking on all cylinders, for me, is putting together an 7 to 10 game win streak where the pitching and hitting both pull their weight (like last year after the AS break). And beating up on good teams, not the Marlins.

I'm happy with what they've achieved considering the injuries. I didn't expect certain guys to struggle as badly as they have.

Definitely a well put together team. Unfortunately the manager is hindering the potent offense with a .235 OBP guy batting second.

2012 10 Game Winning Streak:
    1 vs Arizona
    3 vs Brewers
    3 vs Astros
    3 vs Rockies

How many of those teams finished with a winning record in 2012?

One. Brewers (It took a late season surge for that to happen though). That wasn't exactly elite talent teams.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Hard to please my friend.

Not clicking on all cylinders unless a 7+ winning streak against good teams?

To each his own.

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-21-2013),Homer Bailey (05-19-2013)

High five!

I'd take winning 3 out of every 5 without a single 4-game winning streak all season.

17. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-21-2013),The Operator (05-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    We are +50 in run differential, best in the NL, and trailing only Texas with +51 in the majors.
    Best in all of MLB now.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Turn Off Ads?