Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • ACC

1 1.14%
  • Big 12

0 0%
  • Big East

5 5.68%
  • Big Ten

12 13.64%
  • Conference USA

0 0%
  • MAC

3 3.41%
  • Mountain West

0 0%
  • Pacific-10

7 7.95%
  • Southeastern Conference

56 63.64%
  • Sun Belt

2 2.27%
  • WAC

2 2.27%
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

What is the most powerful conference in college football?

Me and my buddy were debating the Pac-10 and the SEC today... what say you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is the most powerful conference in college football?

SEC

I like the SEC, but I believe that the teams in the Big East are really good. I think that any year a team could win that confrence, because the talent is spread out. In the SEC teams have hot and cold spells. I think all the teams in the Big East will maintain their success. It also doesn't hurt that I'm a huge UC fan.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

As a huge fan of offense, the Pac-10 and WAC are my favorite two conferences.

SEC, and its not even close.

LSU and Florida are almost always in the title chase, Georgia and Tennessee are always threats year in and year out. South Carolina is on the rise. Auburn and Alabama both have storied pasts. On top of that, the team ranked no 8 this past week would probably be considered eighth best in the conference most years.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Sun Belt, no question
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    SEC, and its not even close.

LSU and Florida are almost always in the title chase, Georgia and Tennessee are always threats year in and year out. South Carolina is on the rise. Auburn and Alabama both have storied pasts. On top of that, the team ranked no 8 this past week would probably be considered eighth best in the conference most years.
    Correction. Georgia and Tennessee are always overrated every year.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Correction. Georgia and Tennessee are always overrated every year.
    Not every year ! They have had a couple of down years though.
    Teams at the top of conferences probably make several conferences close.
    Example : Fla LSU from SEC
    USC , Oregon from Pac 10
    WV,Cincy,Rutgers USF from Big East
    etc
    I think SEC stands out when you go down further in each conference and get Arkansas,Alabama, Georgia,Auburn UK etc
    Though some have down years , you still are looking at a tough schedule game in and game out !

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I like the SEC, but I believe that the teams in the Big East are really good. I think that any year a team could win that confrence, because the talent is spread out. In the SEC teams have hot and cold spells. I think all the teams in the Big East will maintain their success. It also doesn't hurt that I'm a huge UC fan.
    Of all the teams in the Big East, I think the only one that could hang with an SEC power would be South Florida.

Speed is the name of the game in the SEC. Rich Brooks made the comment that when he took over at Kentucky, he didn't have a player who could run under 4.40, now he has fifteen. WVU for example has speed on offense, but doesn't have it on defense. If you want to see how to stop Steve Slaton, watch tapes of the South Florida game.

The real question is, has teams from the Big East played anybody out of conference?
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Gotta agree with WVRed here.

Florida and LSU are as good a pair as you can name from another conference. Pac 10 fans will scream USC and Cal but where is Cal most years?

The tenth best team from the SEC, Arkansas has the guy many consider to be the Heisman front runner. There are no Heisman canidates playing for Stanford or Oregon State. Kentucky is in the top ten, for another day any way, S.Carolina is going to take there place and Auburn after two early losses, one of which was to South Florida looks to be a team on the rise after pounding Vandy today. Some figured on a letdown after the Gator win but they rolled.

Perhaps Tennessee and Georgia are overrated but they are still better 7th place teams than 7th place teams from other conferences. If Georgia played AT Arizona ten times, they would win at least 8 of them IMO. Same for Tenn, Alabama, Auburn and perhaps even Miss St.

The SEC is just a great conference. Year in and year out. They play exciting football. They have super passionate fans. They send guys to the NFL. Its a power conference.

I think the Big 12, year in and year out is the second best conference. Oklahoma and Texas are the mainstays but there are always some other teams in the mix. Lately it hasn't been anyone consistent but from a depth standpoint the Big 12 is pretty good. Texas Tech ends up at the 7th or 8th bowl team sometimes and they can light it up.

I'd have to put the Big 10 in 5th, behind the ACC and Pac 10 and ahead of the Big East.

To add on, the Big East is sort of having a down year. Louisville has been awful. Rutgers lost to an ACC also ran and despite it allowing the rise of another team, the conferences only real national title canidate has already lost.

Yes Cincy has risen up but they haven't beaten anyone. The 5-0 record is decieving.

I think WVR is half right on the Big East. I think West Virginia could handle themselves in the SEC along with USF. But that is it. Lousiville and Cincy would get their asses handed to them.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    To add on, the Big East is sort of having a down year. Louisville has been awful. Rutgers lost to an ACC also ran and despite it allowing the rise of another team, the conferences only real national title canidate has already lost.

Yes Cincy has risen up but they haven't beaten anyone. The 5-0 record is decieving.

I think WVR is half right on the Big East. I think West Virginia could handle themselves in the SEC along with USF. But that is it. Lousiville and Cincy would get their asses handed to them.
    While the offense of Pat White, Steve Slaton, and Noel Devine is tantalizing, their main focus is to try and outrun their opponents. That works, when the defenses of other teams cannot react. WVU fans here will make the case that Pat White has a very high completion percentage, but if he threw the ball as much as Andre Woodson, he would be picked off at least twice a game. I would venture to say if WVU played in the SEC that they would be lucky to see the top 25, but you could make the case about Kentucky as well.

That is the major flaw of the Big East, where the defenses are very inadequate. South Florida is the only team this year that has shown a defense out of that conference. All it takes is a quick defense and a coach who can disguise coverage and teams like WVU or Louisville have no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post

They just beat Rutgers. Now you can say they beat somebody. Bearcats are going into the top 15!
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I'm a big Louisville fan and I still cringe at your suggestion. As far as records go, there may be a team out of the Big East that goes undefeated but the league can't really compete with the SEC or PAC10 this year. Last year, with strong WV, Louisville, and Rutgers teams the league made a statement but it still hasn't reached the top tier and has even fallen off a little this year.

They just beat Rutgers. Now you can say they beat somebody. Bearcats are going into the top 15!
    The question is: who has Rutgers beaten this year to make them "somebody?"

Turn Off Ads?