Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turning down high paying job. Am I crazy?

Turning down high paying job. Am I crazy?

So, my old boss moves to California from Jacksonville. She's doing same job at another school. She has been authorized to hire another person to do the job I do here.

She wants to know if I'm interested. It would pay about $40,000 more than I'm making now.

But to take it, I'd have to move from Jax (which I love), find someone to rent my home, my wife would have to quit her $32,000 job.

I'm almost 59. I plan to retire in my Jax home, and buy a second home in Goodyear and live there part time.

All in all, it just doesn't seem worth it. Am I crazy?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Turning down high paying job. Am I crazy?

What part of CA? $40k more in some parts of CA might essentially be a paycut.

Riverside, CA

Jax, I don't know at what age you were planning to retire, but at 58 I'm assuming you've got to be very close.

All in all, given what you've stated about the situation, I don't think you're crazy at all for turning down the job. I'm 99 percent sure I'd do the same if I were in your shoes.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Riverside, CA
    According to Salary.com, the cost of living in Riverside, CA is only 6.9% higher than in JAX, so you would probably be okay moneywise. Not sure if Riverside is a decent place to live, though. Can't be as nice as JAX/St. Augustine!

Doesn't seem worth it unless you really want to live in California.
    Go Gators!

From an almost-58 yr. old, I don't think you're crazy. Money isn't everything.

The only reason I'd make a geographical move like that is the make the proverbial "the heck with you" money, i.e. make enough money to tell everyone to take a flying fig at a rolling doughnut. But that's got to be some serious coin to do that. I looked at moving to Santa Clara 2-3 years back and I'd needed to at least double my salary to maintain my standard of living. And that's just to stay even.

I like your plan. Stay the course.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-06-2015)

Depending on how easy it would be for your wife to find a new job at a comparable salary, you might not even be gaining that much financially. I would personally jump at the chance to relocate to a select few locations (San Diego, for one) but I don't blame you at all for not making this move.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I just realized I posted this in wrong forum. Sorry

Some things to consider:
    - Is this entire compensation package worth $40,000 more or just the salary? Compare benefits and contributions.
    - Do you want to work for your old boss again?
    - Would your wife need to find work? Would she want to?
    - How close are you to family/ how close would you be after you move?
    - What would you do with the extra money? Buy stuff? Travel? Give it to the kids/grandkids? What is your financial condition in terms of retirement and would this significantly improve it?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So Jacksonville is that great, huh? That's good news as I'm moving there next month.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

SoCal... ain't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    SoCal... ain't worth it.
    Different strokes, I guess. My wife is from San Diego and we lived there for a year and you couldn't pay me enough to return to SoCal. The weather is spectacular, but there's little else I liked about it. It's not for everyone.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Different strokes, I guess. My wife is from San Diego and we lived there for a year and you couldn't pay me enough to return to SoCal. The weather is spectacular, but there's little else I liked about it. It's not for everyone.
    San Diego doesn't rate near as bad as the vortex known as the LA Basin.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Not Crazy. Right Choice. No reason to uproot yourself at this stage in your life.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?