Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indians Fielding Offers for Mark DeRosa

Indians Fielding Offers for Mark DeRosa

Indians Fielding Offers For Mark DeRosa
    By Tim Dierkes [May 20, 2009 at 10:39am CST]
    According to SI's Jon Heyman, the Indians are now fielding offers for infielder Mark DeRosa. DeRosa, 34, is hitting .242/.312/.412 on the season in 170 plate appearances as the Tribe's third baseman. He has about $4.15MM left on his contract.

Heyman says the Indians "are looking mainly for pitchers who can help them now." Heyman believes DeRosa is below Nick Johnson, Aubrey Huff, and Russell Branyan on the Mets' wish list. What other teams would make sense - the Braves, Cubs, Brewers, or Cardinals perhaps? You can discuss it in the comments here, and also head over to our Facebook fan page and jump into that discussion.

Over at the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Paul Hoynes says Indians GM Mark Shapiro "is talking to general managers, but it's not about subtracting players in preparation for next year."
    Thought it was worth noting. Worth a phone call? Maloney/Roenicke? I've loved DeRosa for a while and would love to see him as a Red.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indians Fielding Offers for Mark DeRosa

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Thought it was worth noting. Worth a phone call? Maloney/Roenicke? I've loved DeRosa for a while and would love to see him as a Red.
    He seems like a perfect fit. Very solid, if unremarkable offensive numbers and can fill in at 3B until EE comes back, or be the RH part of LF. Would give the team a lot of flexibility. And he is kinda affordable.

Indians need young arms, especially in the bullpen. Seem like too good of a match that it will probably never happen.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I don't think DeRosa is even worth calling about. He's exiting his prime (34 years old) and on a one-year contract. If he could be an average shortstop, I'd consider it, but he's overpaid and wouldn't upgrade the Reds anywhere except on the bench, and even there, I'm not sure he'd perform better than Adam Rosales.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Why would we give up young, affordable pitching to fill a tempoary hole? Rosales is probably just as good anyway.

High five!

Is DeRosa significantly better than JHJ?

.245/.294/.451/.745 - JHJ
    .242/.312/.412/.742 - DeRosa

I'd do it for 2 reasons #1 it helps rid us of McDonald moving JHJ back to LF with Derosa filling in at 3B/1B and Rosales making a better bench. #2 It keeps him from going to St. Louis and/or back to the Cubbies.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'd get in line. He's a better hitter than he's shown so far. Plus, he's hitting lefties well. He knows the NL Central. I'd offer some AAA pitching not named Bailey or Fisher. Straight up for Roenicke, Viola or Maloney? I think I'd do it.

I would hate to see us give up anything until we give Gomes a chance to platoon with Nix in LF. DeRosa doesn't exactly play a good LF.

The bigger question on the Indians is when Wedge gets canned.

If they did do this, it might work out well. He could have an Aurilia-esque resurgence in GABP and fill in a lot of places on the diamond. He's not showing it right now, but I think his bat is a tick better than most of the other options the team has right now.

That said, I wouldn't want the Reds to give up too much. I'd be all over a Maloney for DeRosa deal, but not much more than that.

How much is he paid?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    If they did do this, it might work out well. He could have an Aurilia-esque resurgence in GABP and fill in a lot of places on the diamond. He's not showing it right now, but I think his bat is a tick better than most of the other options the team has right now.

That said, I wouldn't want the Reds to give up too much. I'd be all over a Maloney for DeRosa deal, but not much more than that.

How much is he paid?
    $4.15MM.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Is DeRosa significantly better than JHJ?

.245/.294/.451/.745 - JHJ
    .242/.312/.412/.742 - DeRosa

Career:
    Derosa .277/.346/.421/.767
    JHJ .259/.329/.372/.701

I don't know if I'd say significantly, but I'd say better.

If the Reds could get him for Maloney or something similar, it would be a steal. DeRosa is a very good player who is having a terrible start. He could play 3rd until Edwin got back and then LF after that. He can also play anywhere else minus center if someone needs a day off or you want Nix in left.

It makes too much sense.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Career:
    Derosa .277/.346/.421/.767
    JHJ .259/.329/.372/.701

I don't know if I'd say significantly, but I'd say better.
    $4.15MM + a prospect better?

I'd rather pass. He may be a marginal improvement but he won't solve the problem. A band-aid is not what is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    $4.15MM + a prospect better?
    A.) Well, that wasn't the original question.

B.) Since 1/4 of the season has passed, it'll only be around $3M.

C.) I've always viewed a guy like Maloney as potential trade bait. I don't ever see him as a starting pitcher for the Reds. It would be like giving up Lohse (when we did not need him) to get a guy like DeRosa who would be an asset to us at a time when he would be quite useful to us.

Turn Off Ads?