Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State's Tressel declines to vote in coaches' poll

Ohio State's Tressel declines to vote in coaches' poll

LINK

Ohio State's Tressel declines to vote in coaches' poll
    December 3, 2006

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio State's Jim Tressel did not vote in this week's USA Today coaches' poll to avoid the perception of a conflict of interest, a move the newspaper said could jeopardize his future in the selection process.

"We are disappointed with coach Tressel's decision, but our oversight role does not grant us authority to compel his participation," USA Today's managing editor for sports Monte Lorell said Sunday in a statement. "The agreement with the American Football Coaches Association obligates the panel of coaches to disclose final regular season ballots, without exception.

"Coach Tressel's future involvement in the poll will be part of our annual review with AFCA executive director Grant Teaff."

Teaff, a former coach, said Tressel's decision was "not something that we would like to have happen, but it's kind of an unusual circumstance."

Until last year, the coaches' ballots were not made public. Now, the preseason and final regular-season ballots are released.

"It's just a tough situation," Teaff said.

The top-ranked Buckeyes (12-0) were awaiting Sunday's final Bowl Championship Series rankings -- based in part on the coaches' poll -- to determine who they play in the national championship game on Jan. 8 in Glendale, Ariz.

Florida finished No. 2 in the coaches' poll ahead of No. 3 Michigan.

"We are excited to play in the BCS title game against a tremendous opponent," Tressel said in a statement. "After consultation with my director of athletics, Gene Smith, and based upon our unique position in the BCS standings, I believe it is only fair that we not participate (in) the final poll."

The decision by Tressel not to vote could be unprecedented. AFCA executive director of marketing and development Mel Pulliam said he couldn't recall a coach declining to vote in the coaches' poll -- for any reason.

The Gators were ranked fourth in last week's coaches' poll, and moved past the idle Wolverines after defeating Arkansas 38-28 Saturday night in the Southeastern Conference title game. USC, ranked second in last week's coaches' poll, fell to No. 7 after its 13-9 loss to UCLA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio State's Tressel declines to vote in coaches' poll

I think he did the right thing. I guess it would be a conflict of interests for him to vote this time...I don't know. Or maybe it's a cowardly move...so as to not tick off anyone...I don't know.

I need time to think this one through. As I think about it...I guess if he's a member of the voting community, he has a responsibility to vote. I guess he should have just voted and let the chips fall where they may.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Since it's not a secret ballot and his vote has a remote chance of being a factor in determining their next opponent, I think he did the right thing. Considering the stink that his earlier gaffe about this poll made this season, why should he create a controversy again where there's already plenty of it?

A vote for Florida and against Michigan could be bulletin board material for them next season.

A vote for Michigan would be perceived as Big Ten favoritism/cronyism/etc. and would be breaking his stated pledge early in Michigan week, that the loser shouldn't play for the championship.

Maybe USA Today should go back to the secret ballot?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Maybe USA Today should go back to the secret ballot?
    That is the way it should be, and why they changed it I don't know.

Why make ballots public? What is the purpose behind that except to start rumors and controversy?

And ESPN over-analysis by their crackpot panel of experts.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The reason they did that was because of the uproar from the Pac 10 after Texas lobbied heavily and jumped into the #4 spot in the BCS. The wanted accountability.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

If Tressel was going to abstain, he should have let USA Today know in advance so they could have given his vote to some other coach. I understand why he did it I just don't think a vote should have been wasted especially in a situation like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If Tressel was going to abstain, he should have let USA Today know in advance so they could have given his vote to some other coach. I understand why he did it I just don't think a vote should have been wasted especially in a situation like this.
    agreed Chip, but the situation Tressel is in has a big red bullseye on it as large as the whole state of Ohio.

I think the coaches are chosen at the beginning of the year and he just couldn't give it away.

I'm fine that he decided to take a back seat to the voters, I'm shocked that this is more news than it's actually is.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I have no problem with what he did.

Can you imagine the uproar if he ended up as the deciding vote?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I think that this was an absolute no-win situation for Tressel. A vote for Florida and he would have been ducking Michigan and voting for the team he thought his team could better handle. A vote for Michigan and he would have been a Big-10 homer and would have gone against his previously (pre 11/18) stated "you should have to win your conference to get into the title game" stance. He ended up taking the neutral way out and he's getting criticized for not doing his duty as a voter and not "manning-up", as it were.

I can think of no other instance where the coach in a championship game had some say in who his opponent in that game would be based solely on his own opinion. It was a tough spot, his vote would not have swayed things one way or the other, and I have no big problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    agreed Chip, but the situation Tressel is in has a big red bullseye on it as large as the whole state of Ohio.

I think the coaches are chosen at the beginning of the year and he just couldn't give it away.
    I don't see why not. We are in the electronic age now. If he felt uncomfortable voting he should have said so and then USA Today could have picked some other coach and sent him the ballot by e-mail or whatever. It's not like they are relying on Pony Express anymore.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I don't see why not. We are in the electronic age now. If he felt uncomfortable voting he should have said so and then USA Today could have picked some other coach and sent him the ballot by e-mail or whatever. It's not like they are relying on Pony Express anymore.
    From my understanding, at the beginning of the season 63 coaches are chosen as voters in the "coach's ballot". If they don't want to do it, they can opt out then and another coach is chosen. If they do, it is their duty to vote each week through the course of the season. The last week of the year is too late for them to find a replacement for Coach Tressel.

Here is the list of coaches from this year:

This season’s board: Chuck Amato, N.C. State; Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech; Mike Bellotti, Oregon; Jack Bicknell, Louisiana Tech; Larry Blakeney, Troy; Bobby Bowden, Florida State; Tommy Bowden, Clemson; Jeff Bower, Southern Miss; Gregg Brandon, Bowling Green; Art Briles, Houston; Mack Brown, Texas; Watson Brown, UAB; John Bunting, North Carolina; Bill Callahan, Nebraska; Lloyd Carr, Michigan; Larry Coker, Miami (Fla.); Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State; Darrell Dickey, North Texas; Bill Doba, Washington State; Randy Edsall, Connecticut; Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M; Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee; Joe Glenn, Wyoming; Walt Harris, Stanford; Dan Hawkins, Colorado; Pat Hill, Fresno State; Terry Hoeppner, Indiana; Brady Hoke, Ball State; Brian Kelly, Central Michigan; Steve Kragthorpe, Tulsa; Mike Leach, Texas Tech; Rocky Long, New Mexico; Sonny Lubick, Colorado State; Dan McCarney, Iowa State; Les Miles, LSU; Shane Montgomery, Miami (Ohio); Joe Novak, Northern Illinois; Houston Nutt, Arkansas; Tom O’Brien, Boston College; George O’Leary, Central Florida; Gary Patterson, TCU; Chris Petersen, Boise State; Bobby Petrino, Louisville; Mark Richt, Georgia; Mike Riley, Oregon State; Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia; Bobby Ross, Army; Greg Schiano, Rutgers; Howard Schnellenberger, Florida Atlantic; John L. Smith, Michigan State; Mark Snyder, Marshall; Frank Solich, Ohio; Steve Spurrier, South Carolina; Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee; Bob Stoops, Oklahoma; Jeff Tedford, California; Joe Tiller, Purdue; Dick Tomey, San Jose State; Jim Tressel, Ohio State; Tommy Tuberville, Auburn; Charlie Weis, Notre Dame; Tyrone Willingham, Washington; Ron Zook, Illinois.

The AFCA prohibits coaches from voting for schools on major NCAA probation.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    The last week of the year is too late for them to find a replacement for Coach Tressel.
    It is? Why? Why not just contact a guy like Mark Dantonio and tell him that Tressel won't vote so could he do the honors this week? Or if you fear that since Dantonio is too close to Tressel, why not someone like Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It is? Why? Why not just contact a guy like Mark Dantonio and tell him that Tressel won't vote so could he do the honors this week? Or if you fear that since Dantonio is too close to Tressel, why not someone like Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz?
    Because, the coaches are named and confirmed and agreed upon before the start of the season.

You can't just pick some random guy and allow him to vote at the end of the year when he hasn't voted or hasn't been approved to vote throughout the year.

Shouldn't matter anyway. You shouldn't be allowed to abstain and Tressel should have voted.

The article I read said that Coach Tressel's voting priveledges would be looked into this offseason, so it's possible he could lose his vote for next year.

I noticed that Urban isn't on the list of coach's that vote. Not sure why he wouldn't be on the list....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I think they should just create the Mark May Poll to replace the Coach's poll. Or maybe the ESPN Gameday Poll, let the three panelists determine the top 25.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think they should just create the Mark May Poll to replace the Coach's poll. Or maybe the ESPN Gameday Poll, let the three panelists determine the top 25.
    Mark May is an idiot.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?