Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 7/3/13 - Reds vs. Gigantes

7/3/13 - Reds vs. Gigantes

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 7/3/13 - Reds vs. Gigantes

Heisey getting a start! Let's just hope he doesn't attempt a no-hitter of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Heisey getting a start! Let's just hope he doesn't attempt a no-hitter of his own.
    Yeah, this lineup is interesting because Heisey plays v. the lefty Zito rather than DRob. Also Mes is catching Cingrani, which is interesting.

I expected Hanigan to catch Cingrani tonight with Mes catching Leake tomorrow in the day game. Could imply more work for Mes overall, but hard to tell.

I know that Johnny Vander Meer is the only Major League pitcher to throw no-hitters in two consecutive starts. Just out of curiosity, though, has there ever been an instance where a no-hitter was followed by another the very next day by a different pitcher from the same team?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTofty View Post
    I know that Johnny Vander Meer is the only Major League pitcher to throw no-hitters in two consecutive starts. Just out of curiosity, though, has there ever been an instance where a no-hitter was followed by another the very next day by a different pitcher from the same team?
    I don't know, but Jim Maloney no-hit the Astros in 1969 and the next night Astro Don Wilson returned the favor against the Reds with a no-hitter of his own.

Let's hope THAT doesn't repeat.

7. Likes:

ProfessorTofty (07-03-2013)

Jim Maloney of the Reds threw a no-hitter against the Astros and the very next game Don Wilson of the Astros no-hit the Reds. I remember that from back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Jim Maloney of the Reds threw a no-hitter against the Astros and the very next game Don Wilson of the Astros no-hit the Reds. I remember that from back in the day.
    Beat you by one minute, LOL.

And this happened once before, Gaylord Perry and Ray Washburn, each no-hit the other's team in 1968. Just like the Maloney-Wilson thing, "revenge" no hitters in consecutive games.

Never has the same team pitched two no-hitters in consecutive games. There were two no-hitters pitched on consecutive DAYS in 1917 by the same team, but there was a game in-between (doubleheader).

10. Likes:

New York Red (07-03-2013)

The pitcher who, IMO, came closest to equaling Vander Meer's record of back-to-back no-hitters was Dave Stieb. And Stieb never threw a no-hitter. How is that possible? Stieb, in consecutive starts threw one-hitters. And each time he was just one strike away from a no-no.

http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2012/06...s-back-to.html

May 5th, 1917 - Ernie Koob of the St Louis Browns pitches a no-hitter against the White Sox. May 6th, his teammate Eddie Cicotte did the same thing to the same team.

13. Likes:

Chip R (07-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    May 5th, 1917 - Ernie Koob of the St Louis Browns pitches a no-hitter against the White Sox. May 6th, his teammate Eddie Cicotte did the same thing to the same team.
    As I posted, this was not back to back games. The second no-hitter was game two of a double header. There was a game in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    As I posted, this was not back to back games. The second no-hitter was game two of a double header. There was a game in-between.
    Darn those technicalities

The Wikipedia page on no-hitters is very interesting, has some great stuff.

Bumpus Jones, a Reds pitcher, threw a no-hitter in his first game. It was 1892.

He finished his career with a 2-4 record.

Beat you by one minute, LOL.

And this happened once before, Gaylord Perry and Ray Washburn, each no-hit the other's team in 1968. Just like the Maloney-Wilson thing, "revenge" no hitters in consecutive games.

Never has the same team pitched two no-hitters in consecutive games. There were two no-hitters pitched on consecutive DAYS in 1917 by the same team, but there was a game in-between (doubleheader).

The Wikipedia page on no-hitters is very interesting, has some great stuff.

Bumpus Jones, a Reds pitcher, threw a no-hitter in his first game. It was 1892.

He finished his career with a 2-4 record.
    Someone might have written a player profile on him and posted it to the ORG just this morning....

For back-to-back-to-back games it would be hard to beat what the Astros accomplished in 1986.

Jim DeShaies two-hit the Dodgers in a 4-0 win. He walked one and struck out 10.
    Nolan Ryan one-hit the Giants in a 6-0 win. He walked three and struck out 12.
    Mike Scott then no-hit the Giants in a 2-0 win. He walked two and struck out 13.
    One note: Ryan only went 8 innings. Charlie Kerfield pitched the ninth, giving up a hit and a walk but no runs.

In that three-game stretch, Astros' pitchers gave up 4 hits, no runs, six walks, while striking out 35. Yikes!

Turn Off Ads?