Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent signings....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Free Agent signings....

good sign for the tigers, much less expensive than hamilton but still adds alot to the outfield
    Check Out My Blog at roundinthirdandheadedforhome.mlblogs.com

Reports are the Jays added another named player signing Melky Cabrera for 2 years and 16M

Melky signed with Toronto for 2/16.

I wish we had jumped on that.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Melky signed with Toronto for 2/16.

I wish we had jumped on that.
    Ditto.

wow, i would have loved to get melky at that price

Are Walt & Co. going to do anything? I would have jumped on Cabrera. He is several years
    younger than Ludwick, a switch hitter, runs better, and doesn't strike out nearly as much.
    Not a problem though, Wilson Valdez is available cheap. Walt & Co. going cheap will not get us to the World Series.

Players have to want to come here. They don't just sign with whoever offers them money first.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Are Walt & Co. going to do anything? I would have jumped on Cabrera. He is several years
    younger than Ludwick, a switch hitter, runs better, and doesn't strike out nearly as much.
    Not a problem though, Wilson Valdez is available cheap. Walt & Co. going cheap will not get us to the World Series.
    Patience. The offseason is still young. The only 2 notable free agents that have signed are Melky and Torii Hunter. Hunter signed for presumably more than the Reds have budgeted for LF and Melky has some serious red flags. Like it or not, I don't see the Reds acquiring a LF (unless it's a franchise type guy) until Ludwick signs with someone else.

Jocketty went out and got Latos last offseason, signed Votto and Phillips to huge contracts before the season and raised payroll to it's highest amount ever, so I'm not sure how they can be deemed "cheap"

And let's look at the bright side of the Melky Cabrera signing. This likely sets the ceiling for Ludwick.

I know Cabrera is coming off of a steroid suspension but Ludwick has some comparable questions surrounding him (fluke or resurgence vs. 'roids or reaching his prime). Cabrera had several teams chasing after him, is 6 years younger than Ludwick and the fielding comparison is not even close. To me, this is very good news for the Reds.

well the reds had just as good of a chance to win the WS last year as anyone. There is no team that is much better or really better at all than the reds. They just didnt play their best at the wrong time and had an unfortunate injury to cueto. The reds will be fine.

Melky Cabrera signed with the blue-jays..

According to multiple sources, Juan Pierre has agreed to a one-year, $1.6 million contract with the Marlins.
    Whether you liked him or not, it's another possibility gone.

According to multiple sources, Juan Pierre has agreed to a one-year, $1.6 million contract with the Marlins.
    Pretty good pick up for Miami. He still has something left. It's good to have a player who walks as often as he strikes out, and his OBP is still pretty solid.

Yeah, for that cheap the reds should of hopped all over that. From what Ive heard the guy may have some weaknesses defensivly but he can get on base which is what we need.

Turn Off Ads?