Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Now bring up Alonso and Sappelt

Now bring up Alonso and Sappelt

Cozart seems to have been ready. Lewis and Gomes at this point are simply role players with limited upside.

I suggest the Reds now replace Gomes and Lewis with Alonso and Sappelt.

This would change and hopefully improve the outfield mix. Dusty could have a new three-headed monster in LF, with Heisey, Alonso, Sappelt.

Sappelt would provide further depth in CF.
    Alonso could spell Votto if need be and play some left field against some of the righties.

Probably won't happen, but it could improve the team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Now bring up Alonso and Sappelt

I wouldn't mind seeing this happen.

In fact I'd love to see this happen.

just to be rid of Gomes.

Sappelt hasn't looked so great as of late.

Alonso on the other hand I think is probably ready offensively, but defensively? Also, they may want to keep Alonso down there in the case they do trade him before the deadline.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Sappelt hasn't looked so great as of late.

Alonso on the other hand I think is probably ready offensively, but defensively? Also, they may want to keep Alonso down there in the case they do trade him before the deadline.
    They could really use Alonso's LH bat off the bench, and I've been surprised by how bad Lewis actually is in LF. I really think Gomes is better out there defensively than Lewis.

Lewis brings nothing; I like having Alonso and Gomes both off the bench with big bats when matched up against the right pitching.

I'd wait on Sappelt until next year, or when they figure out what they're going to do with Heisey- either play him or trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Cozart seems to have been ready. Lewis and Gomes at this point are simply role players with limited upside.

I suggest the Reds now replace Gomes and Lewis with Alonso and Sappelt.

This would change and hopefully improve the outfield mix. Dusty could have a new three-headed monster in LF, with Heisey, Alonso, Sappelt.

Sappelt would provide further depth in CF.
    Alonso could spell Votto if need be and play some left field against some of the righties.

Probably won't happen, but it could improve the team.
    Cozart has all of 20 at-bats. Pitchers haven't had a chance to learn him yet.

Give it another couple weeks and I imagine we'll be seeing different results. I'm not saying he can't succeed or won't play well, but I'd wait to proclaim he was "ready."

We've seen this happen too many times. Juan Francisco looked like a world-beater for a few weeks, then struggled thereafter. History is littered with players that light the world on fire for a few weeks in the bigs before settling into mediocre careers.

Let me reemphasize: I'm not saying Cozart won't do well, but his current success, whether sustainable or not, has no bearing on whether the other two are "ready" so to speak.

Personally, I don't think Alonso is ready and I also don't think it's wise to bring him up. Let him continue hitting in AAA until the Reds know what they'll be doing with him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'd be OK with it, but Sappelt seems to have come back to Earth. I'd call up Alonso now though. If they don't want him in LF, then end the charade and make a deal. If he's acceptable there, then get him up.

Lewis is the guy I'd cut loose. He's an awful defender (worse than Gomes) can't steal bases anymore, has no power and his one trick (table setting versus RHP) is wasted hitting in the 7 hole and would fit better elsewhere.

I'd platoon Alonso and Gomes in LF and leave them in the 5th spot. Stubbs would lead-off in CF, and Bruce would hit 4th in RF. Heisey would spot in all three places, start 4 times or so each week and hit where-ever in the order the guy he's replacing hits. On a rare occassion, Alonso could give Votto a rest and Heisey play LF. Good teams have good players coming off the bench and Heisey fits well in that role.

When Francisco comes back, I'd call him up next and cut Renteria loose. Cairo could play SS once every 10 days or so. In an emergency, Janish can be here the next day.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

Give it another couple weeks and I imagine we'll be seeing different results. I'm not saying he can't succeed or won't play well, but I'd wait to proclaim he was "ready."

We've seen this happen too many times. Juan Francisco looked like a world-beater for a few weeks, then struggled thereafter. History is littered with players that light the world on fire for a few weeks in the bigs before settling into mediocre careers.

Let me reemphasize: I'm not saying Cozart won't do well, but his current success, whether sustainable or not, has no bearing on whether the other two are "ready" so to speak.

Personally, I don't think Alonso is ready and I also don't think it's wise to bring him up. Let him continue hitting in AAA until the Reds know what they'll be doing with him.
    Prospects do have to adjust. They will have hills and valleys. I still would bring up Alonso and Sappelt. Overall, I think they can contribute more than Reds are getting now in LF.

Sappelt has hit a dip at AAA. Short term swings aren't the point. Overall I think he can contribute more than we are getting from Jonny right now. Sappelt is more of a contact/OBP guy which the Reds can use.

I've read that Alonso is doing better in LF. He certainly has been a consistent hitter this year.

Go for it. Bring 'em up. And as for Francisco, I'm a fan, but he's hurt, so not an option right now.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-17-2011 at 04:41 PM.

I don't think Sappelt is an upgrade from anyone right now. You can argue for Alonso, but that's not going to happen until after the deadline (if at all).

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Yep- Cozart has looked good so far, but the "book" is being written on him even as we speak. Once the adjustments begin, we'll see if he can adjust to the adjustments. He has weaknesses, all hitters and fielders do, and they will be ruthlessly exploited.

I'll say this for him- he looks confident, and acts like he belongs. That's a good start. He doesn't have Janish's gun, but few SS's do.

Prospects do have to adjust. They will have hills and valleys. I still would bring up Alonso and Sappelt. Overall, I think they can contribute more than Reds are getting now in LF.

Sappelt has hit a dip at AAA. Short term swings aren't the point. Overall I think he can contribute more than we are getting from Jonny right now. Sappelt is more of a contact/OBP guy which the Reds can use.

I've read that Alonso is doing better in LF. He certainly has been a consistent hitter this year.

Go for it. Bring 'em up. And as for Francisco, I'm a fan, but he's hurt, so not an option right now.
    I really like Sappelt, but I don't think it's a given he (or even Alonso) are going to give any more production than they're getting now.

I kind of get the feeling that the Reds will wind up with Ryan Ludwick. His numbers don't look good on their face, but his OPS+ is literally about average and given he's in a pitcher's park with a terrible lineup around him, he's probably still better than his numbers would show.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I really like Sappelt, but I don't think it's a given he (or even Alonso) are going to give any more production than they're getting now.

I kind of get the feeling that the Reds will wind up with Ryan Ludwick. His numbers don't look good on their face, but his OPS+ is literally about average and given he's in a pitcher's park with a terrible lineup around him, he's probably still better than his numbers would show.
    Is Ludwick a free agent or a signed player?

I'd hate to see the Reds go for rentals in their situation. I'd rather keep the prospects.

Is Ludwick a free agent or a signed player?

I'd hate to see the Reds go for rentals in their situation. I'd rather keep the prospects.
    He's a free agent, but I sincerely doubt he's going to cost the Reds a top-tier prospect to acquire. I think they could get him for a B-prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Yep- Cozart has looked good so far, but the "book" is being written on him even as we speak. Once the adjustments begin, we'll see if he can adjust to the adjustments. He has weaknesses, all hitters and fielders do, and they will be ruthlessly exploited.

I'll say this for him- he looks confident, and acts like he belongs. That's a good start. He doesn't have Janish's gun, but few SS's do.
    I think Cozart has a quicker release, though.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I don't think Alonso is an answer at all period. The guy I saw briefly in the futures game doesn't appear to have changed his elongated swing, major league pitchers will eat him up. Sappelt though I believe can be of use to this team at the top of the lineup. Coming back to earth or just an inevitable valley, probably the latter. Gomes would go if it were up to me, he's not really helping much and with Sapp and Heisey there is no need for him. We really could use a good LH bat off the bench, Lewis is no world beater but unfortunately he is the best we have currently, he may actually improve a bit as we go forward, he did start off injured. I suspect the guy other than Sappelt who is ready or close is Mes but no room for him currently.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm not a big fan of Lewis because he doesn't bring much to the table. No power, moderate speed, moderate defense. So I'd rather see a Heisey/Gomes platoon in LF.

But, I'm not sold on bringing up Alonso. Being a lefty, he doesn't help with spelling either Bruce or Votto.

The one guy that might make some sense is Frazier as super sub. Can play LF, 3b, 1b. and could be emergency SS. Could spell help spell Votto or Bruce.

I'd consider losing Renteria for Frazier.

Turn Off Ads?