Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    got me thinking, any daytonians on this thread? Thai 9 remains my favorite Thai place that I've been to.

I'll agree w/ Kroger, the new one that we shop at (marketplace) has some great sushi, well at least the roll my wife purchased, can't speak to a large variety. Its not top notch, but for the convience and cost, it does a surprisingly good job.
    Thai 9 is the best Thai food I've had, anywhere. My wife couldn't believe there was a place that good in Dayton.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

And while we're on exotic foods in the area, I'll throw out Sabor Peruano. It's a Peruvian, family restaurant in Fairfield. It's fantastic. Nothing fancy, at all, but tasty as all get out and relatively inexpensive.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/36280...uano-Fairfield

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And while we're on exotic foods in the area, I'll throw out Sabor Peruano. It's a Peruvian, family restaurant in Fairfield. It's fantastic. Nothing fancy, at all, but tasty as all get out and relatively inexpensive.

Very good. If you've never eaten Peruvian food you are in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I've been to Teak and I wasn't impressed. Maybe a 'West Coast' bias? (famous shrug.)

Rem
    Perhaps not. From what I understand Teak went through a period of several years where their food and service was horrendous.

Great place. I stopped in one day out of curiosity and I'm glad I did.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Thai 9 is the best Thai food I've had, anywhere. My wife couldn't believe there was a place that good in Dayton.
    I'll third this recommendation, Thai 9 is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Very good. If you've never eaten Peruvian food you are in for a treat.
    No kidding. Peruvians know how to eat.

the only thing I know about Peruvian cuisine is that Paddington Bear had a think for Marmalade. But now I'm interested.

While there is some disscussion of Thai food in the Dayton area, I'll mention a little known place in Centervile, Bahn Mai (I think that's how you spell), south of the Dayton Mall on 725. They don't have sushi, the food isn't as good as Thai 9, but the Crab Ragoon Sticks are possible the best appetizer I've ever had at an asian place, its the only time I can think of where the appetizer makes the meal. I once asked our server what % of people ordered them and she told me that of the regulars, or people that have been there more than a couple of times and have a feel for the menu, 90% order the Crab Ragoon Sticks for an apetizer. She says its the easiest way they have to tell a new customer from someone that's been there a handful of times.
    Last edited by medford; 03-15-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Love Thai 9 as well, can't go wrong there.

El Mason - get the salmon stack.

GL

And since we've now sidetracked to Centerville, check out Flavors (865 E. Franklin, about a mile east of old downtown Centerville across from the high school). If there's such a thing as pure California around here, it's that place.

Back to The Banks, we're headed down to the Holy Grail now for some March Madness (if we can get in). And I'll be down there again on St. Patty's Day in my green Reds hat!
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 03-15-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    the only thing I know about Peruvian cuisine is that Paddington Bear had a think for Marmalade. But now I'm interested.

While there is some disscussion of Thai food in the Dayton area, I'll mention a little known place in Centervile, Bahn Mai (I think that's how you spell), south of the Dayton Mall on 725. They don't have sushi, the food isn't as good as Thai 9, but the Crab Ragoon Sticks are possible the best appetizer I've ever had at an asian place, its the only time I can think of where the appetizer makes the meal. I once asked our server what % of people ordered them and she told me that of the regulars, or people that have been there more than a couple of times and have a feel for the menu, 90% order the Crab Ragoon Sticks for an apetizer. She says its the easiest way they have to tell a new customer from someone that's been there a handful of times.
    Peruvian is very rich, very hardy. And yummy.

There's a pretty good mix of ethnic "fast food" there around the Dayton Mall. A couple good Mediterranean and Middle Eastern type places as well. I've never noticed Bahn Mai, but I've looked it up now and will be going there soon.

Hmmm. Do we really want businesses at the Banks owned by Browns players:

Well, in The Banks, some Bengals players have decided to open up an Orange Leaf: America's Frozen Yogurt, where they will sell..... frozen yogurt. According to WLWT, those Bengals players are Frostee Rucker along with Robert Geathers, Kevin Huber and Pat Sims and others.
    http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/12...t-at-the-banks

Bump...

For the first time this season I went down to GABP to get some tickets during lunch. Got to experience first hand the changes the Banks have brought to the lunchtime crowds... and its very nice. Traffic was always pretty light around the ballpark (both vehicle and foot traffic), so to see groups of people coming across 2nd and 3rd Streets from downtown was unexpected. Plus, the weather was fantastic and the patrons were taking advantage of the available outside dining. Now, what the Reds FO needs to do is open up the Machine Room and/or Club 4192 to cash in on the competition.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Polly Campbell loves the new Moerlein Lager House...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...wel-riverfront
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Another fine addition to the Banks was announced today:

An L.A. chain of high-end restaurants called Yard House has chosen the plot of land in front of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center to build its 38th national restaurant.

Set to open late in 2012, the one-story restaurant will span 11,000 square feet at the Banks, across Walnut Street from Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, with decks and patios overlooking the Ohio River and Roebling Bridge. Industrial aesthetic elements — woods, stainless steel accents and exposed pipes — will connect the restaurant to its urban setting. Designers also plan to incorporate features that connect to the riverfront and bridges.

Yard House serves up American fare like salads and steaks, tacos and pizzas, burgers and pastas. It offers 200 taps of craft beers, stored in a large glass-walled keg room and served from a large center island bar. Classic rock music creates the restaurant’s ambiance. The name Yard House comes from the three-foot tall glass containers called yards, designed in Great Britain in the 1700s. They were handed to stagecoach drivers full of beer after a long journey in a horse-drawn carriage.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/newintow...-to-the-banks/

Here's their website:

http://www.yardhouse.com/default.aspx

Sounds like a great addition and will give us ber drinkers an option when the Lager House is packed. Might even help keep the Lager House honest on pricing...

Of course I'll believe the 200 beers on tap when I see it

Turn Off Ads?