Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possibly moving to Cincy for school at UC

Re: Possibly moving to Cincy for school at UC

I think apartments in the areas I would recommend aren't necessarily the best bet, but I've lived in Winton Place (now known as Spring Grove Village) for 30 years now. There is a lot of affordable housing in our neighborhood (at the foot of Clifton Ave. hill at Spring Grove Ave). Biggest downside is bus transportation to UC is dreadful, you have to change to another route in Northside. It mystifies me why no bus runs up there directly especially considering that folks from Greenhills and Finneytown could use the service directly to school.

That said, Northside is a growing neighborhood, but you have to pay attention to which part of Northside you land in. The bus comes right down Hamilton Avenue and right up Ludlow to the University. Lots of expanding shops, restaurants and bars (and a great music store, Shake It Records).

Likewise, you may want to check St. Bernard on the east side of I-75. Again, some affordable housing and the city at times seems in a time warp. Bus routes run up Vine Street to UC from there.

Many will tell you that these are all ex-urban neighborhoods. Like anywhere in a city, you need to know your surroundings and know what to pay attention to. Like I said, I've lived in SGV since 1979 and I've raised my family here too. My kids are inveterate city kids, something they consider a badge of honor.

Here some links to each neighborhood:

Peace and Justice and the Green Team are working on several issues with Father Al, including*an energy survey and*a St. Francis Pledge on environment*for the fall. More details will be provided pending approval by Parish Team.
    We had a successful*Butterfly Garden Brunch as part of our Care of Creation series. We will have another in early May. We will also be doing a Bread for the World*Offering of Letters in May.
    IHN won't happen again until July. I would like to do a training if*time allows.
    http://springgrovevillage.org/

http://www.northside.net/

http://www.cityofstbernard.org/
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

As for the nightlife, try Cooter's, Burgundy's, and In the Wood.

Oh wait, this isn't 1989.

Thanks for all the information, guys.

I think the biggest thing I'm torn between is living off or on campus. While I don't like the hassle of parking that it seems to bring, I also feel like I'd enjoy living off campus more. The Mt. Hood, Oakley, and Hyde Park areas seem to be the popular off campus living areas, though most of the pictures I've been able to see indicate that they don't look too much different than Clifton. Hopefully that's not how it all is out there. I'll need to up there before I end here at UK to at least gauge the area and find where I'd want to live.

I would be going for the applied economics masters program at UC....does anyone have any recommendations or comments about UC in general? My other two desired places were Miami OH and VCU....I got in at Miami OH, but they haven't replied about money; and VCU still hasn't informed me either way. UC gave me an offer and I generally love the idea of only being roughly 90 miles away from home in Louisville.

Thanks for the input...anything else would be appreciated, too

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    I think the biggest thing I'm torn between is living off or on campus. While I don't like the hassle of parking that it seems to bring, I also feel like I'd enjoy living off campus more. The Mt. Hood, Oakley, and Hyde Park areas seem to be the popular off campus living areas, though most of the pictures I've been able to see indicate that they don't look too much different than Clifton. Hopefully that's not how it all is out there. I'll need to up there before I end here at UK to at least gauge the area and find where I'd want to live.
    The places per say aren't nicer. The homes are older and the newer buildings are going to get expensive. I just think the area is much nicer because it isn't surrounded by college students.

There's a pretty big difference in housing and in neighborhoods between Clifton proper and Hyde Park/Oakley/Mt. Lookout. The gaslight district in Clifton isn't really the same as Clifton/Corryville/campus either (not really as "rough," so to speak). I have friends who have lived in all these places (I live in Hyde Park), and while everyone has a different experience, most of my friends have left Clifton in the last couple years because of the crime. One couple's car was broken into four times before they left ... they lived back behind the Esquire theater. Very nice house. Nothing in their car to steal. Just happened. Then again, my boyfriend's car was stolen from my apartment complex's parking lot in Nov. 2007. (Police found it a few hours later, being driven by some kids who "escaped" from a halfway home that isn't even anywhere near here.)

So I'd say the main thing is decide what you want out of a neighborhood and go from there. If you want more of a college atmosphere, plenty of people live around campus and do just fine. If you want more of a young-but-more-residential feel, try some of the outlying neighborhoods like Northside, Oakley, etc.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed View Post
    So I'd say the main thing is decide what you want out of a neighborhood and go from there. If you want more of a college atmosphere, plenty of people live around campus and do just fine. If you want more of a young-but-more-residential feel, try some of the outlying neighborhoods like Northside, Oakley, etc.

Good luck!
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but isn't Northside very hit or miss? I know there are some very nice places in Northside but there are also some very sketchy places. I have been to one place in Northside that was phenomenal other places seem run down. It seems like a good place to move, as long as you are very familiar with the area.

Living near campus attaches you more to the university life, but that may also be much more interesting to an undergrad rather than a grad student.

I lived in all parts of the area and I finished my tenure there by owning a house on Riddle Road and renting out the first floor. My recommendations, if you want to stay near UC:

Clifton Gaslight. By far the most desirable place to be. You don't have to be up next to Ludlow or right on top of Skyline to find a good place. One area that gets overlooked is the grid between Ludlow and MLK (Whitfield, Kirchner, Terrace). If I were looking, I'd probably look there first.

Marshall, Riddle, Probasco, all the way over to Straight street:
    This area is just west of campus. My aunt was a nun and ran a little convalescent house at the end of Probasco. That house is still used for the same purpose; if old, sick nuns feel safe there, it's a good bet. There is a good mix of apartment buildings and homes split into separate apartments in this area.

Clifton Heights
    More of an undergrad area, but you can find some places along Warner, on either side of Ravine. I have some friends who own a few buildings there. It's definitely rougher than the two above. And louder at night.

Clifton Heights parts to avoid
    Generally, I'd stay away from McMillan/Calhoun, really anything between Klotter and McMillan. There are some interesting places there, but it's jam packed with students. Ohio Avenue might be an exception- I lived on Eureka for a year, which is at the end of Ohio Ave. and it's relatively peaceful.

Fairview
    I like the little neighborhood adjacent to the park at the end of Fairview road. Haven't been there in a while, but I always wanted to live on Ada.

Mt. Auburn
    I lived on Maplewood and didn't have any problems. But I'd stay away from that area nowadays.

Corryville
    When I lived there it was pretty rough. Anything around Short Vine has to be considered pretty sketchy. But UC has been pushing a lot of development around MLK and the medical school, and those might be worth looking into.

Avondale
    Skip it, unless you're Chuck Norris.

Walnut Hills
    See Avondale.

Good Luck!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but isn't Northside very hit or miss? I know there are some very nice places in Northside but there are also some very sketchy places. I have been to one place in Northside that was phenomenal other places seem run down. It seems like a good place to move, as long as you are very familiar with the area.
    Northside is hit or miss. So is Madisonville and many of the areas around campus. I think it depends on one's interest in or toleration of the "urban" experience. Northside is a really cool place, but it has its problems, for sure.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Thanks for the rest of the comments. I REALLY appreciate it.

I accepted UC's offer today.

Thanks for the rest of the comments. I REALLY appreciate it.

I accepted UC's offer today.
    Congratulations! It's great to have another Bearcat among us.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Does anyone know the area or the place of McMillian Manor?

Thanks.

Does anyone know the area or the place of McMillian Manor?

Thanks.
    McMillan Manor apartments are east of the campus area, a fairly new complex built in the last couple of years. I would say it's about a half mile from the edge of campus and I have seen students walking up towards campus which you'll have to do or walk up to William Howard Taft to catch a bus the next block over since McMillan is one way eastbound.

I think the intent is to build that area up more, but you're a good ways from almost everything for shopping, entertainment etc. Paintsmered may have a better idea since he's just a couple of years removed from attending UC.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

I'd also check out http://www.rentclifton.com/ and http://www.gaslightproperty.com/ as well as the Senator Place apartment comple (at the end of Senator Place). Most of these properties are on the Clifton end of things and you'll be in walking distance from Ludlow Ave with restaurants, a movie theater, an IGA grocery store and can either walk to school (about the same distance as McMillan Manor) or catch the bus on bad weather days (you'll get a bus pass, I think, as part of your student fees).

The Baseball Bookstore

I lived at Fairview Apartments (corner of gargantuan death intersection of McMillan, Straight, and University) for a year and had a very good experience. Apartments are cheap, there's assigned off-street parking and it is an easy walk to campus, and Fairview Park is around the corner for jogging, etc. The super (at least when I lived there) was a very pleasant old German guy who was very attentive/responsive to tenant needs. I've also heard very good things about the rest of the Fairview neighborhood.

Ended up moving out to Oakley once my lease was up, but it was basically a sublet offer I couldn't refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    McMillan Manor apartments are east of the campus area, a fairly new complex built in the last couple of years. I would say it's about a half mile from the edge of campus and I have seen students walking up towards campus which you'll have to do or walk up to William Howard Taft to catch a bus the next block over since McMillan is one way eastbound.

I think the intent is to build that area up more, but you're a good ways from almost everything for shopping, entertainment etc. Paintsmered may have a better idea since he's just a couple of years removed from attending UC.
    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'd also check out http://www.rentclifton.com/ and http://www.gaslightproperty.com/ as well as the Senator Place apartment comple (at the end of Senator Place). Most of these properties are on the Clifton end of things and you'll be in walking distance from Ludlow Ave with restaurants, a movie theater, an IGA grocery store and can either walk to school (about the same distance as McMillan Manor) or catch the bus on bad weather days (you'll get a bus pass, I think, as part of your student fees).
    Thank you very much. While I would have to live with other ppl (undergrads) at McMillian Manor, I really like that it is furnished and has a parking garage.

So would you say I could walk to and from class safely? Do you know about at night? As long as a Kroger is relatively near my place, I'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I lived at Fairview Apartments (corner of gargantuan death intersection of McMillan, Straight, and University) for a year and had a very good experience. Apartments are cheap, there's assigned off-street parking and it is an easy walk to campus, and Fairview Park is around the corner for jogging, etc. The super (at least when I lived there) was a very pleasant old German guy who was very attentive/responsive to tenant needs. I've also heard very good things about the rest of the Fairview neighborhood.

Ended up moving out to Oakley once my lease was up, but it was basically a sublet offer I couldn't refuse.

It looks a bit further from campus than McMillian, but I'll search. Thanks.

Turn Off Ads?