Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Would you sign Choo if given a chance

Re: Would you sign Choo if given a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    One good thing for the Reds, is that both Choo and Ellsbury will be free agents. I would assume that there would be a limited market for center field free agents especially when Bourne was on the market this year. Also, some of these stats people would say that you should notto give big money to a CF who is likely to hit under 25 hr a season.

It still will be a lot of money. The worst thing is that Boras tends to hold out for an offer until the last second. I'm not sure the Reds would want to just roll the dice past the winter meetings on a center fielder.
    Choo will enter the market as a corner outfielder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd like to sign Ellsbury to be honest, as he's having a down year. With the addition of Ervin to our prospect pool I think we may be able to deal Hamilton for an star infielder (Lindor maybe? Probably not...)
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

If I were GM I would make a 2year offer with an option at the current salary. I know Boras and Choo will reject it out of hand, they are looking for the big bucks and a long term deal 50-60 mil for 5-6 years. With the Reds small market, and wanting to hang on to players like Votto, Phillips, Latos, and others, this just ain't happening. I would pin my hopes on the likes of Robinson
    Hamilton and Lutz; apparently management is thinking along these lines as they picked up Phillip Ervin, a center fielder, in the draft.

If Choo walks, I would like Dexter Fowler. Underrated player and will be cheaper than Ellsbury. I remember the Reds sniffing around about him last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
    I'd like to sign Ellsbury to be honest, as he's having a down year. With the addition of Ervin to our prospect pool I think we may be able to deal Hamilton for an star infielder (Lindor maybe? Probably not...)
    Definitely think we can trade Hamilton with some of our pitching prospects for a really good player. Even a LF: CarGo? Alex Gordon?

Quote Originally Posted by qotsa04 View Post
    And Aoki over Choo? Are you serious?
    Aoki: .298 .365 .391 .757 9 doubles 4 homers 18 walks
    Choo: .272 .431 .484 .915 13 doubles 1 triples 10 homers 42 walks

Yes, I am serious.

One stat you did not list (through 66 games);

Strikeouts: Choo - 66, Aoki - 15

Aoki had struck out 55 times in all of last season (versus 150 by Choo).

Aoki's in his second year in the MLB and is still learning the game. His numbers in Japan would suggest he has considerable room to improve given time to get used to how things are done here. Choo's in his 10th year in the bigs and we pretty much know what he is/will be.

Salaries: Choo - $7,375,000, Aoki - $1,250,000

Not a typo.

Since the time you listed the stats, they are walking about the same for the last half month or so (7 more for Choo, 6 more for Aoki). OBP gap had closed by a little (.425/.369). Aoki still holds 20+ points lead on the batting average, which I feel like Reds may need more considering its struggles to score runs.

I'd say Aoki is at least comparable to Choo. At 1/6 the price tag, I would absolutely take Aoki over Choo.
    Last edited by maestrohound; 06-18-2013 at 11:55 PM.

8. Likes:

SporkLover (06-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by maestrohound View Post
    Yes, I am serious.

One stat you did not list (through 66 games);

Strikeouts: Choo - 66, Aoki - 15

Aoki had struck out 55 times in all of last season (versus 150 by Choo).

Aoki's in his second year in the MLB and is still learning the game. His numbers in Japan would suggest he has considerable room to improve given time to get used to how things are done here. Choo's in his 10th year in the bigs and we pretty much know what he is/will be.

Salaries: Choo - $7,375,000, Aoki - $1,250,000

Not a typo.

Since the time you listed the stats, they are walking about the same for the last half month or so (7 more for Choo, 6 more for Aoki). OBP gap had closed by a little (.425/.369). Aoki still holds 20+ points lead on the batting average, which I feel like Reds may need more considering its struggles to score runs.

I'd say Aoki is at least comparable to Choo. At 1/6 the price tag, I would absolutely take Aoki over Choo.
    Solid logic. I'm not sure the Brewers will be letting that valuable piece of their team go.

Let Choo go, he's good but not good enough to warrant the large $$$$ he'll fetch....

Turn Off Ads?