Re: Moerlein House = Wrigley South?

What will we whine about next week?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ill conceived and horribly executed ad.

Outrage! We demand an apology!

Apology.

Disdain! Boycott!

Im the first to say it was a dumb marketing ad. But. It. Was. An. Ad. People are acting like their girlfriend was just slapped in the face by the ghost of Christian Moerlein himself. Ridonkulous.

I'll be at the Lager House at least twice this week. Wearing Red. Enjoying the beer and the fact that we finally have a great watering hole near the stadium after all these years of the awful In Between.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Nope. It's a business, just like the Cincinnati Reds. And I have news for you: the Reds don't care about you unless you're willing to spend money on them. You owe them no allegiance (unless you want to).
    That's very untrue. Don't you think they've been in the business of winning fans/customers for the last 5 years? Don't you think a business's reputation is vital to them? If you think Moerlein is privately stewing about the whiny reaction of Cincinnatians who won't let them make a buck on Cubs fans, you're wrong. They realize they won't be marketing to any visiting teams from here on out or they'll become the most hated bar in America. Would you really be okay if our proud Cincinnati brewery became a series of visiting teams landing spots? What would a bar like that do for customers the rest of the year?

That leads me to what I think they were trying to say, which reds1869 mentioned, is that the Banks is becoming like Wrigleyville, lots of fun and drinking. I do not think they were trying to lure Cubs fans to root for the Cubs, although many people do, so I may be wrong. To me, that is a mistake on another level, but I don't believe that is what they wanted to do. Even in their attempt to call it a "Rally for our Reds!!!!" they show how hokey and disconnected they are from the sort of fandom that drives long term interest. It's that level of disconnection that continues to make it seem like they are just stupid and not just cut throat and greedy.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

I think it's a tribute to the Lager House that there's been such an uproar over this. It shows people care deeply about that place, claim it as their own and will defend it as Cincinnati's as in "hey Cubs fans, keep out of our place". In other words, if the In Between Tavern ran an ad like that, no one would have cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think it's a tribute to the Cincinnatians/Great American Ball Park/The Banks that there's been such an uproar over this. It shows people care deeply about that place, claim it as their own and will defend it as Cincinnati's as in "hey Cubs fans, keep out of our place".
    Fixed this for you.

It's not just a Lager House thing. I think it's more about Cincinnat, and the Banks. Any business south of 2nd Street seems to "Belong to the Reds." They are the number one business partner and customer supplier for all those places now. Anything on 3rd street or north, doesn't really relate to the Reds as much. Sure some bars do, but definitely not as substantial as anything at The Banks.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Fixed this for you.

It's not just a Lager House thing. I think it's more about Cincinnat, and the Banks. Any business south of 2nd Street seems to "Belong to the Reds." They are the number one business partner and customer supplier for all those places now. Anything on 3rd street or north, doesn't really relate to the Reds as much. Sure some bars do, but definitely not as substantial as anything at The Banks.
    That's your opinion and that's fine but that's not what I said so why "fix it" so it looks like mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That's your opinion and that's fine but that's not what I said so why "fix it" so it looks like mine?
    Sorry, common occurance on other boards I frequent. Nothing personal, and that's why I bolded and noted first that I "fixed it." Didn't mean to literally put words in your mouth (or post). I just thought everything about your post was spot on, except for who it was giving credit to, so I just made that change.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Sorry, common occurance on other boards I frequent. Nothing personal, and that's why I bolded and noted first that I "fixed it." Didn't mean to literally put words in your mouth (or post). I just thought everything about your post was spot on, except for who it was giving credit to, so I just made that change.
    I'm boycotting your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I got a buddy who makes up these really nifty little stink bombs. Yeah it's childish, but every once in awhile he'll drop one at work, on the assembly line, to "liven" up the place. Man do they smell horrid!

We can always pay a quick visit to Wrigley South!

I really miss SCRedsFan. Been to a RZ get-together with him when they played the Cubs. He hated the Cubs (fans) with a passion not matched by many, and let them know it when any walked in the bar.
    Make sure you ask for your apology beer first. If they turn you down, it might be time to liven up the place.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I don't really have a problem with this. They wouldn't do it if it they didn't think it'd be profitable.

I may be apathetic because I live in New York City. As someone's noted, it is a bigger, more diverse market. There are bars for literally every team (and every other niche) you can think of. And they're all full when that team's playing.

Wouldn't do it if they didn't make money. If you don't want there to be a Cubs fan bar, pack the bar. Or go to another bar. Vote with your dollars.

P.S.: There's a restaurant in Gainesville that has Florida State football viewing parties every week of college football season.

I grew up in Gainesville and went to the University of Floirida. I've been in Cincinnati for Cubs games.

Gainesville wins a contest of who hates their rival more. Hands down. Yet there's still a market. Make that money. Stack that cheddar.

Best way to make it right? Discounted brews to anybody wearing Reds apparel during the series.

Second best way to make it right? Brew a seasonal that tastes terrible and name it "Loser lager"... "This is what 100 plus years of losing tastes like"
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

I lived in Chicago and have been to bars that cater to fans of other teams, mostly for viewing parties for transplants to Chicago who want to watch their teams' games. They even have a Miami University bar. I think the difference here is that it's an establishment right next to GABP. You would never, ever see the Cubby Bear or Murphy's Bleachers having a Reds Night when the Reds were in town. If they did, they might as well close up shop right then and there.

During baseball season, the vast majority of the MLH business is going come from Reds fans going to or coming from games rather than fans of other teams coming in for viewing parties. Turn off your main customer base and you can just forget about doing good business on game days. It's one thing if this was a bar in Clifton trying to bring in college kids from Chicago and Indiana. A bar that relies on game day business is something else.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Not to mention that their beers are on tap at GABP...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Best way to make it right? Discounted brews to anybody wearing Reds apparel during the series.

Second best way to make it right? Brew a seasonal that tastes terrible and name it "Loser lager"... "This is what 100 plus years of losing tastes like"
    But what will they call Old Style then?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?