0 0%
  • Floyd Mayweather by KO

6 31.58%
  • Floyd Mayweather by decision

3 15.79%
  • I'm not watching and don't care

10 52.63%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather....

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    When it happens, will you eat your shoe? Maybe boil it with some garlic and herbs?

I don't remember Herschel Walker having any BJJ or grappling experience. He was just a freak. There have been quite a few guys who made it to the UFC, Bellator or wherever with very limited to no experience in BJJ or wrestling. Poor Brendan Schaub had neither, didn't even enjoy fighting, yet somehow made his way to the UFC. You need to train for it, obviously, but McGregor himself has rarely been taken to the ground. I think Diaz and Mendes are the only two to have done it to him in the UFC.
    Herschel Walker fought a guy who has 2 career fights under his belt and had one after that. He fought a nobody who was never going to be anybody. The next guy he fought has now had a total of 5 career fights. He hasn't fought anyone since Walker. He's also a nobody. He was fed nobodies with little experience and little skills. He wasn't put in the cage with guys ranked in the Top 50 in the world in their weight class, much less Top 10.

And Brendan Schaub grew up doing martial arts throughout his childhood. He didn't just decide at 24 to get into the fight game. He had a pretty good background base to start with. He wrestled growing up. He was doing BJJ. He began boxing in high school.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-26-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Whether of not Mayweather has the punching power (or desire) to knock McGregor out remains to be seen, but the idea that McGregor is somehow going to be able to land the miracle KO punch that no professional boxer has been able land against Mayweather is downright hilarious.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-26-2017)

I'm about to head out for the rest of the day, I think. I'll just leave it with this: Mayweather by stoppage of some kind. Whether it's a 10 count, a ref stoppage, a corner stoppage - it's being stopped.

I'll come eat my words tomorrow if it doesn't happen.

Mayweather, TKO, 4th.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Better than I expected. It was entertaining.

That could have happened way way earlier.

People on Twitter are slobbering over McGregor like he accounted himself well, and I honestly don't know what they are seeing. That was ... a really weird fight. Decently entertaining, I guess.

Mayweather says he owed the fans a show, I think he took it pretty easy, knew how tired McGregor would get. Could have pulled the string whenever.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

People on Twitter are slobbering over McGregor like he accounted himself well, and I honestly don't know what they are seeing. That was ... a really weird fight. Decently entertaining, I guess.

Mayweather says he owed the fans a show, I think he took it pretty easy, knew how tired McGregor would get. Could have pulled the string whenever.
    Eh, I agree and disagree. I think the fact mcgregor was exhausted made it much easier for Mayweather at the end. The first 5-6 rounds seemed like a good fight.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Eh, I agree and disagree. I think the fact mcgregor was exhausted made it much easier for Mayweather at the end. The first 5-6 rounds seemed like a good fight.
    That was Mayweather's strategy though. I just read an interview he just gave about this fight where he explicitly said something like "If you knock him out early, [the fans] are upset. If you go the distance, they're upset. Under 4 rounds they say it's too short, 12 rounds they say it's too long."

And look what happened.

I dunno. If that didn't look incredibly easy for Mayweather to everyone else then maybe I'm actually in the wrong. But I think it looked like a decent fight for the first half because Mayweather was just chilling out, making it an event, and wearing him out a little.

I should clarify also, by way earlier I mean like a few rounds. McGregor couldn't keep his hands up starting in the 7th.

I really didn't think it would go past four.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Please tell me you are not making excuses for Mcgregor? Absolute masterclass from Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Please tell me you are not making excuses for Mcgregor? Absolute masterclass from Floyd.
    How does that look like excuses? A boxer waiting until his opponent is exhausted is an old strategy. That fight was never in question. Mayweather win before he even stepped in the ring. I'm just saying mcgregor the first few rounds put up a fight because he wasn't exhausted.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Lots of people are very upset about that stoppage. I'm guessing that they aren't people who have watched much boxing because that's how a lot of fights stop. The refs job is to save the fighter, not wait for him to be unconscious or take unneeded punishment when he either can't or won't defend himself.

Quick thoughts on the fight:

Floyd seemed like he had no worry or fear at all of Conor.
    Floyd not doing ANYTHING for the first three rounds was an interesting strategy. That somehow the judges seemed to award him at least one of those rounds on two cards is incredible.
    Conor did better than I thought he would, even though most of the good came when Floyd seemed to have no interest in doing anything.
    Conor is slow for a boxer.
    Conor has no power for a boxer, especially one of his size. The distance for power shots is just different in boxing.

I need sleep.

How does that look like excuses? A boxer waiting until his opponent is exhausted is an old strategy. That fight was never in question. Mayweather win before he even stepped in the ring. I'm just saying mcgregor the first few rounds put up a fight because he wasn't exhausted.
    Apologies if I misunderstood the tone of the post.

Your right though, Money used the first 2 round to size McG up. After that it was a clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Apologies if I misunderstood the tone of the post.

Your right though, Money used the first 2 round to size McG up. After that it was a clinic.
    I think that was a big part of it too. There was no tape of McGregor, I'm sure Mayweather wanted to look at him a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

As fights go, this that thing was never in doubt. Mayweather absolutely controlled the thing and probably could've picked his round beginning with the 5th. As boxing goes this was a total butt kicking and domination. It was more a sparring match than a real contest. How this thing generated so much interest and money is beyond me.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?