Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Minor League Game Updates - Sunday, July 12

Re: Minor League Game Updates - Sunday, July 12

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    "Our" Mike Stanton had a 19 year major league career. Let's see how long the real prospect lasts.
    Oh I know he was a good major leaguer, but as a Red, I don't like to remember him.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Is he the guy Votto worked with when Votto was in the minors rehabbing?
    If so do you know what his numbers have been since then?
    Wiley's Number Pre-Votto
    46 games, Avg .212, Runs 21, 2bs 8, 3bs 3, Hrs 3, RBIs 19, BBs 34, SOs 54

Post Votto

16 Games, AVG. .412, Runs 11, 2bs 6, 3bs 1, Hrs 7, RBIs 23, BBs 8, SOs 11

Very good improvements across the board hope he keeps it up.

By the way, Byron Wiley finished today going 4-for-4 with a double, HR (#10), and 4 RBI. Overall, he's now hitting .276/.392/.519 - .911 OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    By the way, Byron Wiley finished today going 4-for-4 with a double, HR (#10), and 4 RBI. Overall, he's now hitting .276/.392/.519 - .911 OPS.
    He has also played RF BTW, but the time I saw him he didn't look to have the arm for it. Granted that was an extremely limited sample size. I think he's probably eventually a LF/1B/DH at best going off that sample size. But he's got an absolutely stellar eye at the plate and looks like a legit hitter. Got a nice LH swing also.

If I had to guess at what he picked up off of Joey it would be to be a bit more aggressive at the plate. His eye is so good that he would let borderline strikes go that were drivable.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think he has too much speed to be at 1B

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I think he has too much speed to be at 1B
    I don't know about that. My first impression, like Mario's, was that Wiley didn't look like a RF to me. That was only 1 game's impression though. I'm going again next Monday, so maybe I'll get a better look.

Wiley has been incredibly hot...as hot as any hitter you will see. Last 19 games: .403, 8 HR, 27 RBI, .861 slugging pct. On the current road trip: 9 G: .485, 5 HR, 12 RBI, .919 slg. pct.

Wiley would project as a left fielder due to a very weak arm. There is a misconception that Wiley has excellent speed. He is an average runner on the bases. He has four steals on a team that runs a lot. In the outfield, his range is below average.
    Last edited by redsof72; 07-13-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Wiley has been incredibly hot...as hot as any hitter you will see. Last 19 games: .403, 8 HR, 27 RBI, .861 slugging pct. On the current road trip: 9 G: .485, 5 HR, 12 RBI, .919 slg. pct.

Wiley would project as a left fielder due to a very weak arm. There is a misconception that Wiley has excellent speed. He is an average runner on the bases. He has four steals on a team that runs a lot. In the outfield, his range is below average.
    Do you reckon that he has the hands and instincts necessary for 1B?

I would agree he's not a blazer, is he as fast as Bruce, I think so, as fast as Dickerson or Tavares probably somewhere between Bruce and Dickerson, you dont get 4 3bs this year, 5 last year being slow Im sorry guys he deserves more than that, Ive only seen Wiley twice and he has some speed, Im in no way saying he as fast as Drew Stubbs, but I'll never agree that he has average speed and he should play first thats ridiculous.

He will not move to first. We definitely disagree on his speed. His speed is average based on conversations with scouts who have clocked him to first base. His range in the outfield is below average. His arm is well below average for a left fielder. Overall, his defense is well below average, comparable to an Adam Dunn, although his arm is weaker than Dunn's. His power potential and overall offensive potential is the highest of any hitter on the current Dayton team.

Redsof72,

A little off topic I apologize, but do you have any thoughts on moving Juan Francisco to catcher? He's got a cannon arm but his footwoork is supposedly shoddy at 3B, and while he's shown plenty of power with the stick, he could still use a couple extra years in the minors. Plus, the Reds already have EE, Frazier, and Soto at 3B. It's obviously worked with guys like Russell Martin, Geovany Soto, and Carlos Santana...
    Go BLUE!!!

Have not heard that raised as a possibility. There are a lot of mixed opinions on Francisco defensively. I do not like to say too much about players I have not seen first hand and I have not seen Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Have not heard that raised as a possibility. There are a lot of mixed opinions on Francisco defensively. I do not like to say too much about players I have not seen first hand and I have not seen Francisco.
    I don't think it's been raised within the organization- at least, not that I know of. It was just a thought of mine. I think that it could be an interesting fit, especially in light of those players that I named. If he could be average defensively (and I think he could given his tools), his stick would play well at that position.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't think it's been raised within the organization- at least, not that I know of. It was just a thought of mine. I think that it could be an interesting fit, especially in light of those players that I named. If he could be average defensively (and I think he could given his tools), his stick would play well at that position.
    Francisco struggles enough just making the throw from third to first. I think moving him to catcher would be a train wreck.

No game thread today but Fairel dealing, Means with two more infield hits. Eight infield hits in the last six games. He can absolutely fly.

Turn Off Ads?